HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 05:36 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,481 Posts
I have an Opus wing here that's in the same state as Alex's D60. The spar is intact, even most of the beautiful paint job is still perfect ...but almost the entire length of the front of the wing in front of the spar has gone to total mush. I have done many complex and big repairs on moldie wings, but you need at least SOME intact wing to use as a reference for the repairs. I remember when I posted pics of the Opus wing there was a chorus of "it's fixable", but it's not.

One good thing with vac bagged wings is that you can always pull out your wing beds and re-set the whole thing. But that's a moot point, because vac bagged wings don't delam and shred to bits like moldies that have balsa skin cores.

Ampreg filling the LE would likely confer huge additional durability. I keep talking about doing it to a bought moldie but haven't yet. I'd like to buy a cheap DSable moldie that's fragile and drill holes on the underside behind the LE, one hole every 5cm or so, and inject 5 - 10mL of Ampreg into each hole. Tape over the holes, leave the wing standing vertically with the LE down and let the Ampreg foam up to 2 or 3cm deep behind the LE. Really easy to do ... someone needs to do it pronto, and see how it goes.

But making them with solid foam cores is the way to go. The Scratcho wings with skins set in the mold and then filled with Ampreg which swells while the mold closes, are just unbelievably tough. One day we're going to wonder why we ever DSed hollow moldies in dodgy places.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; May 06, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 04:39 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
664 Posts
Lets do it to the Minivec Andrew... I'll crash test it :-D
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old May 07, 2012, 04:56 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
I will endeavor to fix the D60, and then try get some F230 for the LE. AND I will make a 78" wing for it
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 04:11 PM
Eagles are my nemesis
United States, AK, Kodiak
Joined Aug 2011
163 Posts
I'd be interested to see how it flies with a 78" wing. I don't think it will have enough directional stability with that fuse/tail. You can always make a fuse and tail for a whole new plane if it doesn't work out.
slope4evr is offline Find More Posts by slope4evr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rodent R3
Old May 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Always worth a try
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 06:56 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Always worth a try
Why 78..?? Fly's great with a 60..
You could always do a higher AR 60 wing for it..
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old May 07, 2012, 07:40 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,286 Posts
A home made wing is never gonna beat the D60 wing size for size IMHO. If you put a bigger wing on it it might turn into a super fun ninja star acro machine! Give it a try and see how it goes! How will you make the tongue mount for the front?
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old May 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Yes I chose a 78 as looking at the K2M, the fuse size relative to that size wing seems to work well. It will be highly tapered similar to Sean's Deepend, and may end up with the same overall wing area anyway. I will use the same foil at the root as the D60s normal wing.

Where is the best place to get Cabon sock for socking spars and trailing edges etc?? What size do you go for? I see you can get braided or Uni socks too
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 02:15 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Not related to DS but I entered a Video comp to win money which could fund DS planes.

Please vote for my video!!!! I have some catching up to do as I am two weeks late in entering

http://win.hitachiheatpumps.co.nz/user/33
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 11:53 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,495 Posts
Voted up - nice flying, Alex!
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old May 10, 2012, 08:40 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Not related to DS but I entered a Video comp to win money which could fund DS planes.

Please vote for my video!!!! I have some catching up to do as I am two weeks late in entering

http://win.hitachiheatpumps.co.nz/user/33
Is everyone voting? You know, you can vote once an hour................
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old May 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Ya you can vote once per hour
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,495 Posts
You should write a ballot stuffing bot
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old May 10, 2012, 09:49 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
I think the leader did that. He was at 8000 something votes, then all of a sudden he was back down at 1700. Must have found out.

If i could get 40 people to vote 10 times a day I would be up front there in a week

Its one of those "How Many Friends Do You Have" competitions. I mean I could post bomb all the topics and ask people to vote for my video and I would win, but I think my reputation and pride is wortt more to me
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 06:30 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Friday is looking like giving me another chance of consistent 50kt SWerly at Wainui. If forecast stays the same I WILL get a radar person of some description

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/akaroa
RCG Plus Member