SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2012, 11:44 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,604 Posts
Cool..
Retired , rc pilot is what you need. Some cool old guys tinkering in his shed.
ON call....soon as you think it might be on. HEY REGGIE...wind is on , take you false teeth out, I'll pick you up in 15...
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 01:45 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Haha yeah Need to find someone like that.

I did have a guy who was always keen who didn't work, but he turned out to be a bit of a dick.
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 02:21 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,102 Posts
Shame you couldn't have come 30years earlier, I would have been able and keen to help out. I lived in Wainuiomata.
Maybe next summer I try to get over there. Winter is too bloody cold. That's why I left NZ. Summer too hot in the sun and too cold in the shade and winter rain,rain,rain. But no lack of wind in Wellington.
AeroNut45 is online now Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old May 05, 2012, 10:34 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Wrote off D60 today. Just landed in a tree, enough to open up the complete leading edge and crush it in
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 10:41 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
what a bugger alex! surely its repairable isn't it?
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old May 05, 2012, 10:45 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Not really, pics don’t show extent of damage. I don’t know how to fix it.

If I had done Andrew’s LE strengthening method with the Ampreg, it would have been fine. I will do this to all future DS planes
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 11:03 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,604 Posts
Bummer Alex...sorry to here that mate..

The f230 ampreg probably would have saved it. I've done some LE filling with it on light builds....thermal tails etc.
You just have to post cure it so it dent shrink back and pull the skin in. Just to be safe.

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old May 06, 2012, 12:23 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
That's really sad Alex. So darn easy to happen.

I have been throwing my Minima 2 DLG around, and loving it, so naturally I think I'm gonna learn to do inverted hand catches like Alex. It's now back on the bench, fixing the broken boom and LE crunch. No biggy, but I am starting to have doubts that I'll reach your level Alex. (that's a joke, by the way).
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old May 06, 2012, 03:23 AM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,568 Posts
Bad luck with the D60 Alex. As long as the spar seems ok you'll be able to fix it. Itll just get heavier and faster anyway!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old May 06, 2012, 03:25 AM
AUCKLAND NZ
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
i radar but it will cost you one plane ticket from auckland to ch ch big cup of coffee and a rip on the k100 till my legs start shaking ,so be 3 or 4 laps . you should hassle rob[photorain] to come down and stop huging his wind burner i think he in love with it lol pm me on parkflyers when you geting another d60 will be keen on sharing postage been wanting one for ages time to man up and get one me thinks been blaming the planes for not geting speed for too long
DS NZ is offline Find More Posts by DS NZ
Old May 06, 2012, 10:43 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Sorry to hear about the D60 Alex. Seems we are faced with similar issues. Lots of wind and nobody to fly with. I hope to one day visit NZ. Looks like heaven on earth.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old May 06, 2012, 03:31 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Cheers guys. Spar is good. I will try fix it at some stage, just don't know how to save the Airfoil as the entire LE is opened. If i put it back together, I couldn't ensrue the section or even most of the wing goes back straight and true.

I am more leaning towards bagging up a 78" wing to try that on the fuse
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 04:13 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
831 Posts
Not that I am an expert, But this is how I would approach it,
1st make sure all the pieces can go back into place, if there are pieces getting in the way, trim them back.
2. clean all the dirt out from inside the wing, all the bush and brush and dirt.

The wing should almost want to go back together now. I would probably tape the leading edge together as best you can to try hold some shape.

Constantly look down the wing to ensure the section / shapes look correct.

If there are crack coming off the leading edge tape them too untill the wing is stable.

I like using selotape diamond, not sure what you guys get. You want a tape that sticks well, and that doesn't stretch. we often use this to hold our wings on, and tape on servo covers etc etc. It is the tape to use when taping the wing on an erwin.

If stable enough start to wick some cyno into the cracks, I do this quite slowly. Don't do runs but more like tak's when welding, constantly looking down the section to ensure it is correct.

For the areas that you have put tape, cut 10mm wide breaks in the tape, and tack them.

one final check down the wing, and join the gaps.

now carefully feather the edges 10mm on each side of any break, this should be along the cyno line's. go as deep as you dare, with out breaking the cyno. If you hit wood stop.

next you will have to lock out the trailing edge, I like to tape a steel ruler down it.

Then wet out some 20mm wide strips of carbon, and lay them down the joints.
I use mylars, if only on the top or bottom, but it doesn't like going round the leading edge.

then rap round the wing with electrical tape to put some pressure on the joint.

Make sure the trailing edge is still straight.

Leave in a warm place to cure.

For the next part I like using a big wing joiner, the bigger the better. tape some wet and dry to it and start sanding. I like to add a bit of extra tape, to hold off the wet and try and only sand down the high spots.
Fill if required, and paint.

On the Dynamic wings you need to watch for delam, fix with epoxy where possible, but if not, use cyno.

once done get some ampreg in there.

Will
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old May 06, 2012, 05:03 PM
quickee
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Jul 2005
669 Posts
Alex
Kinda a tough way to inspect spars as well as construction.
We here in SLC have a place to land is either rocks or trees.
Wasn't Weldon great? Good luck on construction,the only good
thing is weight does not become a factor.
-Ron-
quickee is offline Find More Posts by quickee
Old May 06, 2012, 05:24 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,568 Posts
Hey Alex, just like Will said, get it all tacked back together and use long flat sanding blocks and it should come back really nicely. Unfortunately Ive had too much experience repairing D60 wings! At least Ive learnt that being a pretty beefy layup gives you a great base to fill and sand again. Heres a pic of my last one that might give yu some ideas on how to go about it.
Cheers mate
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18