HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 01:56 AM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,570 Posts
Aaaahhh come on! you got the WR didnt you!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 02:10 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,718 Posts
Well I didn’t get up to Wainui till about 11:30am as I knew I wouldn’t get a Radar Man till 1:30pm at the earliest. Would have been 50mph all morning too!

I regret not taking the forecast as seriously as I should have and didn’t put a lot of effort into finding someone to launch and Radar. Fatal mistake =(

If I were to do the day again, I would have found or paid someone (anyone, someone from work, someone walking who didn’t even know I flew model planes even, father in-law etc. I would have found someone) to come up at 9am, flown all morning till the cloud started coming in about 1pm.

I did set-up the radar on a stand and flew the RT30, but couldn’t get readings as my laps weren’t where the gun was pointed. I got 165mph but I heard the gun pick that lap up and there were much faster laps. I sat in the car for a while and ate lunch. I didn’t see the point in flying anything else until someone got there to radar properly.

Then I went down to another site to try it out as I had found the further out to the heads I got, the windier it was. Found a site and set-up the radar again. Flew the RT30 again and got it shaking and fluttering BUT COULDN”T GET READINGS! Next thing I know I’ve lost something floating out away behind it and it is in the hill. I think it shook itself to bits. Went over to the gun and it was showing 282mph (it would have been a misread) Had me going for a second. But wish I had seen what it did get. The 282 reading meant I couldn’t see what the next top speed was. I KNOW it would have been more then the 171 I did at Weldon. BUGGER!

RT30 is a bit buggered. There are bits of the airframe I didn’t find and can’t tell what let go and what didn’t. Next one will be Triple Carbon haha May just do a super heavy glass lay-up. Most likely I will build the new design up.

Best reading I got was 62mph gust and most of the time hovering around 48-50mph average.

Most GUTTING day of my flying career not being able to fly the K100 in Clear, and windy conditions. Well I could have flown, but what would have been the point without someone to radar???

I have video I will edit tomorrow

Boo Hoo =(
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 02:21 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,718 Posts
Hey Nick, if you read this, there is your 400 conditions for you. I know it's not a captured speed but for those that wanted a couple of speeds over 400 before coming to NZ, I'm sure you could count that as a first. I will get a proper one.

Oh BTW we found NZs Weldon eqivalent. A inland 600ft high ridge at the end of a lake, facing the west, in place that hold NZs highest ever wind reading. Bit flat expanse out infront to get a nice clean airflow and a valley stretching off to the west a few miles to the west of it. Will post a KMZ file and will get there for some speeds next big Westerly we get.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 03:27 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Oh Alex man that is such a bummer! I really wish I was there to hold the gun. You need some guys on tap to help you get some big results. It's not just a possibility ... it's fair to say it's a reality that you have some of the best conditions in the world over there. I really hope a bunch of us can get there. It would be fun if we had a team come over together but it's more likely you'll have a few smaller contingents visit over the next year. I'm really keen. Rhys is definitely keen. Chris sounded keen when I spoke to him too. We need to work on Spencer, Bruce, Eric, Tim, Asto, Kev etc. My wife was pointing out some $140 cheap airfares to Christchurch just the other day!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old May 01, 2012, 03:49 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,718 Posts
Chris, good surfing here too...

Yes I really beleive I could have pushed near 440-450 today. I will not stop trying
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 04:24 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,608 Posts
Sounds great Alex....
Sorry to hear about the RT. ....next one will be better.
That was the same system that went though tasi on SAT..... 55 to 76 knots.
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old May 01, 2012, 04:28 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
We will get there Alex, I went to Sugar Loaf after you left for work and once the rain cleared she was pumpin, maybe a little to well as my Electron blew apart.. BUT she was haulin so all good aye
radacl69 is offline Find More Posts by radacl69
Old May 01, 2012, 04:44 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,608 Posts
Good average.. From today..

http://www.windfinder.com/report/le_...y&fspot=akaroa
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 04:59 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radacl69 View Post
We will get there Alex, I went to Sugar Loaf after you left for work and once the rain cleared she was pumpin, maybe a little to well as my Electron blew apart.. BUT she was haulin so all good aye
Awesome Rob! SO grateful you came all the way out today, thank you very much!

Hey great find Tim, never looked at that page before. Yes you can see I wasn't joking
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 05:53 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
bugger alex, just claim the 282 anyway
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old May 01, 2012, 06:26 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,718 Posts
Will go through my video to see if I got it on film
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 07:39 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,608 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,718 Posts
Video:

DS Torture - 1st May (6 min 57 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 09:41 PM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,608 Posts
Nice alex... The second zone looked smoother ??

On the point of not having anyone to radar.... Surly by asking around you could find somone..
People with no work....retired people.....kids...etc
I know if I asked around my street/ or area. I'd find some for sure.
In lots of you video's you say it , I'm sure there is somone around your area , at home , just wanting something to do.
Also CC has off road car club , rc boat club..A few flying club....etc there's got to be someone interested...
Need to ask around more.....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 10:50 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,718 Posts
Second zone was less frontside, and a funny back. Some lines came out with no more speed, some came out at three times the speed. You had to fly small circles close in to get the best power. Not suited to bigger models I dont think, but flyable if Wainui is in cloud. Top is quite round.

Yes your dead right. I should have taken things more serious and I would have found someone from work or a family member etc. My one big regret.

I have done that before, pushing to get someone up to radar, and then the conditions haven't been all that was forecast, or cloud got in the way. I can now forecast the cloud better and know when the best conditions will be as I have found the cloud icons for the forecast to be very accurate.

I'm worried if I keep asking that I will end up like the boy who cried wolf, as there aren't many others that share my passion for DS. Rob (radacl69) is the most enthusiastic guy here, but he lives an hour north away from the peninsula. I can get a day off work almost whenever, which no-one else can really do.
RCG Plus Member