SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:04 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
Well this is as exciting local news for me in this part of the world as it gets.

Saturday has moderate NE winds forecast so I thought I would try get someone or even some people together for some DS. I have got FOUR confirmed guys within half an hour of the message going out!!!!! WOO HOO More local DSers!!!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:46 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
The new ChCh windburner maidens:

WIndburner maidens (1 min 50 sec)

Out to DS them today
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:20 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Aw, nice Alex! Looks like you got them set up nicely! Very jealous of your wind and sites.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:57 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,561 Posts
I wanna live there!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,592 Posts
Nice Alex....
Loved the last one , shows good laminar air when you can hover a windburned in....
When I was in tasmiania at Lake pedder in 50knots...I almost grabed mine out if the air...so cool to do that with a plank....one day I'll do it..
There's a challenge for you..

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:24 PM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
739 Posts
very nice Alex.Good luck for today.
Kevin Bennett is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,510 Posts
great spot !! get those things over the back. I flew one of the very first windburners at the Remarkables in Queenstown. Spektrum radio issues and flying by myself. Wish I was there now with some keen guys !!
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:59 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
Worst day flying of my life.

No more windburner. Well it is still probably ok, if you could find it. Never even got to DS it.

Sprained my ankle looking for it in the 8ft high gorse, got stuck in a hole for 45min and had to get rescued by others.

After recovering for another hour, thought I would fly something else, only to trash that. Mind wasn't focused.

Broke my transmitter aerial off on way back to car.

Broke bumper on my car, rock sticking out of the road, not realising my car wasn't high enough to go over it.

Bad day. Total loss and damage probably $2000

Really un-happy

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; Mar 09, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:34 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
NNNNnnyyyyaaaaarrrryyawwwwnnnooooo!!!!!! Man I'm sorry for ya Alex. What a bummer. I feel for you.

At times like this I remember one of the sayings that makes me feel better about myself ... "the only people that don't make stuffups are the people who don't do anything". What I mean is, if you wanna stay home and watch sport on TV, you won't crash your planes or tear chunks off your car. But you won't be on this forum with the DS world living your highs and lows with you, either!!

I read Paul Carter's book recently called "Is that thing Diesel?" about a biker/ oil rig guy who rides a biofuel bike round Australia. He's a crazy guy; the book is chock full of hard core swearing, but he is an excellent and insightful writer, and it's a good, funny read. His first book was called "Don’t Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs…She Thinks I’m a Piano Player in a Whorehouse"

One of the bits that struck a chord with me was when he got himself into a complete mess and he said something like "I don't know why but I've always been the sort of guy that only has to get up in the morning and all sorts of crazy sh#t just happens to me". I had to laugh, because it's so true for most of us. Things go smoothly in the movies, but for most of us, life is 3 steps forwards and 2 steps back. If you're gonna have an adventurous spirit and get out into the action, there's gonna be all sorts of drama. I'm sure you feel like crap Alex, but we love your adventurous spirit ... keep it up!!

(also reminds me of the day we were bungeeing at Lemontree with my new Hosemonster bungee a few years ago. Tied it to the towball like usual and didn't think about the metal plug in the end of it .... the rear window of my Outback was shattered. It cost $1700 ... had to claim on insurance ... still feel stupid ...)

EDIT: Hey Alex, dunno about you but planning for the US is jamming my head up a bit. Last year it was so sudden and spontaneous that I didn't do much planning and didn't care if I DSed over there. This year I'm preparing myself into exhaustion. Too many planes to tweak/ build and brain keeps thinking of stuff to take or do. I went to Bandicoot recently to continue dialling in the Willow and BPV and forgot their tails and couldn't fly either. On Thurs mid arvo I packed up to race down to Beechmont to fly with Tim and Rhys, looking forward to dialling in the new MKS servo setup in the BPV. Fifteen mins down the road I realized I didn't have a transmitter. Fortunately I realized before I drove the full 1hr 40. I went home and stayed there. Too many windows open in my head and they're all jamming.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Mar 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:08 AM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Bummer, mate. Geez I hate gorse. the front side at Raglan has a couple of faces with 8 foot gorse, box thorn and toe toe. I once had to help a mate struggle out when he was almost too exhausted to climb the last 5 meters after a couple of hours of plane retrieving.

I did the same thing to my car a couple of years ago - hooked the front bumper on a hidden foot high post in long grass at Raglan, and half tore it off.

Oh well, best to use up all your bad luck before you hit the U.S
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:49 AM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,769 Posts
You guys are all amped up for the trip, just slow down and don't break anything else until you get here!
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:41 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,098 Posts
Hope its not too serious with that sprained ankle. If it has swollen its worth getting xrayed.
I did mine 30 years ago, still suffer from it occasionally. Chipped a bone which floats around in the joint. Never got mine xrayed at the time, only years later when I did it again they discovered it. Planes and bumpers can be replaced, a body with all parts working, not always.
Hope for better luck next time.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:02 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
Just had the most painful shower of my life. I look like I have the measles or something. I'm spotty all over from the gorse. I have thorns where there shouldn't ever be thorns. Lucky my wife doesn't mind digging them out for me. 2 hours she spent lol and she laughed the whole time haha
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,592 Posts
Man ....tuff day at the office mate. Not a good week for us this week. Should have gone fishing..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
I should have gone to cricket like i was supposed to!
RCG Plus Member