Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Glider / Lifting Body

I am sort of new to the hobby, returning after 55 years. I have built some gliders using foam and balsa. My question is, can I claim the area of the fuselage as wing area or can I make my fuselage a lifting body and add it to the wing area thus reducing my wing loading? I am thinking of a 48" x 4" wide fuselage with an eppler 374 profile.

Any comments will be appreciated.
rwaterguy is offline Find More Posts by rwaterguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:44 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,196 Posts
When calculating wing area it's normal to include the wing area projected all the way to the fuselage centre, so you take some slight credit for fuselage lift.

You wouldn't usually take the entire fuselage area. The reason is that even if you made the fuselage into a airfoil shape it would still be very poor at making lift because of it's long thin shape, hence the reason that pure lifting body designs glide like bricks. You are much better just using wings to make lift and design the fuselage to minimise drag.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer