HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,604 Posts
Discussion
How many pilots mix a little bit of precision flying with 3D when you fly?

I like to throw in some precision flying like 4 point roles ans such when I fly along with 3d. I was just wondering who else likes to do this. I think it makes your flying look smother.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:36 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
<-- the kitten does, I do what the kitten tells me to
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:36 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
I do! I do!

Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:19 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
I'd say for me that if you are using a strict definition of 3D I probably only 3D 30% of any flight.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:25 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,632 Posts
Not me
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:37 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,705 Posts
In truth, some amount of pattern flying should be an integral part in any 3d flight. It allows some airflow and cooling which is essential for motors and electronics.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,857 Posts
I really like flying 3D, but I noticed after I was into it for a while, when I went back and started working on more precision stuff, my 3D skills got noticeably better. For example, after I went back and worked on making my point rolls smoother, my rollers got way better too.
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:19 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,705 Posts
So, I ran into this guy who said his name was Andrew Jet Ski the other day. Yeah, like that's really his name. He did some patterny stuff combined with 3d and it actually looked pretty cool. Give it a try.

Disclaimer: Any similarity to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:31 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,860 Posts
3D is morphing into a new game that probably will eventually be called "extreme aerobatics." This will encompass both 3D and precision maneuvers, as well as violent tumbles, spins and such. To fly extreme aerobatics, you will pretty much have to do it all, which is what makes it so difficult and challenging.

A lot of guys are flying this way already. Some manufacturers have already come out with hybrid planes designed to fly both 3D and precision, and Extreme Flight's new Pantera hybrid is in final development testing now.

It's also going to be interesting to see what airframes the manufacturers come up with to meet the challenge. We are certainly going to see some pretty cool stuff.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:21 PM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
723 Posts
Most of my flights are precision sequence practice.

When I need a break and to clear my head I let my inner huckster loose.

Surprising how upset it makes my strictly precision/pattern buddies
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:20 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
While I do enjoy 3D, I like to see some of the precision stuff. There is one manuever that when I see it, I know the pilot has some serious skills.
Imagine a 50 yard in diameter circle. The pilot enters the circle and starts a slow roll to the right while following the circle to the left. At the 90 degree mark, he is in knife edge...at 180 degrees, he is inverted. At the end of the circle, he has done 1 roll and maintained the same altitude. Is that called a rolling circle?
I saw one of the pattern guys do it and was in awe.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:58 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,930 Posts
Me .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:06 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
both. tho i think the more you do it, the less impressed you are with hovering & torque roll type stuff. the best flights are always the random ones you're having fun on. idk... the box of 3D i use has shrank over the years to simple waterfalls, knife edge spins & blenders. the ah. IDK. its just one of those fundamental choices. and it is a choice, because one plane wont do them all spectacularly. plane makers will try to tell you they will, but they're full of it. its fun to try, but dont kid yourself.
3D planes trade everything that makes a good pattern plane just to 3D as easily as possible (too much lift, too much thrust, not enough speed (combo prop pitch and airframe limitations), not enough weight, lost control accuracy (surface size/deflection vs servo accuracy)). and the exact opposite for planes super good at pattern. they're too sleek & stall too easy & don't have the thrust or surfaces...
that doesn't mean trying isn't fun. hell a good clipped wing cub can do about anything 3D or IMAC... none of it well... but you can coax them into a lot...

so meh. i just mix flying. one pass may be out of a pattern book, the next may wind up doing 3D. who knows.
na. what's fun is just loafing around doing whatever you want too & having flight buddies enjoy the show. i always liked getting way too high with a lot of speed into a lomcevak. then right when the momentum starts draining from it come back down in a blender, or WOT flip yourself into a knife edge loop. (which i only have ever lucked into with some planes.)

gotta remember where it all came from too. even well into the 90's 3D was something everyone was doing, but nobody was doing it in competitions because it wasn't part of the event. most of your scores were in pattern and "Freestyle" didn't count for as much. so 3D was really only REALLY put on during exhibitions, etc.
Now it's all just "Freestyle" <cough> 3D <cough> and "pattern" hit the backburners.

idk, pattern is less complicated on the surface, but a lot harder to do well. there's a limit to how low you can hover or do a torque roll. there's no limit to "how accurate" can you be LoL!

and no, im not spectacular at anything & yes i fly everything from little park flyers through giant scale. but ya, i just do a mix of everything. just your average fly something most of the year round year after year guy.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Last edited by Toysrme; Nov 11, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:12 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,249 Posts
I am a long time flyer but a new comer to 3D so I always mix. My flying is totally freestyle.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:39 AM
Ku-Meeeeeeeeezzzzzz
central tx
Joined Apr 2009
1,954 Posts
with each flight i try to do most if not all of the imac basic schedule. it hasnt helped me any but i try
Elixir220 is offline Find More Posts by Elixir220