HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
621 Posts
Hi everyone – happy new year – I have been busy with other things, mostly work, but have made progress with this build – I had considered entering Funbuild 5, but to be honest I don't think it will be finished in time – I will take some photos this weekend and post early next week
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
Buddha
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
236 Posts
Looking foward to seeing your progress.
R. Martin is offline Find More Posts by R. Martin
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:48 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Hi Spitfire ,

Glad to have you join in . Just change your title to read " Funbuild 5 - Guillows B17"

Thanks ,
-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Jan 2011
621 Posts
Hi everyone at last some updated images of the build so far I hope you find these images of interest do you think the wing spars that slide into the fuselage should be strengthened?
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:59 AM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire1954 View Post
Hi everyone at last some updated images of the build so far I hope you find these images of interest do you think the wing spars that slide into the fuselage should be strengthened?
Personally, would feel a little more comfortable with some lite ply spar doublers extending through the fuselage and into the wings. Is it necessary? I don't know. How much do you estimate the finished model will weigh?

How are those retracts going to fit for you? I bought a couple of sets and wondered if there were any Guillows models the retracts would fit. Looks like they will fit just fine in your B-17.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your build thread on this model. It's a beauty and you are really doing it justice. Keep up the great work.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
621 Posts
Hi daddyrabbit – thanks for your kind words – I am hoping this model will weigh-in at approx 25oz – I was considering using carbon fibre rod to strengthen the wing/fuse joint – I will post some pics of the retracts in place, I think they should fit ok.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:22 AM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire1954 View Post
Hi daddyrabbit thanks for your kind words I am hoping this model will weigh-in at approx 25oz I was considering using carbon fibre rod to strengthen the wing/fuse joint I will post some pics of the retracts in place, I think they should fit ok.
Carbon Fiber should work well, too.
I just noticed the other models under your table. Looks like you are a man after my own heart...Pocher model cars, wood ship kits, and RC airplanes. I love all aspects of modeling and do the ships and cars, too.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:36 AM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
beautifull work Spit, and welcome to RCG!
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:04 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
Hey Spit,

Beautiful work, especially on that insert-planked fuselage. You've got the patience of Job!

I wouldn't worry too much about the wing joiner, since the kit was engineered for a couple of .049 glow engines and control line. Unless you plan to horse it around like a fighter or are prone to cartwheel wing-over-wing landings, the kit-supplied joiners should be fine.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:22 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
What a great build!

Count me "subscribed"

I will be following this .....

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
WOW!,

Nice work Spit, what will you cover the insert planking with?

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:52 PM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
About the wing spar

You should be fine, I have six flights on mine. But I did not glue as per the plans, instead I made the connection by installing CB rods that hold the wings in place.

I don't have any pic's on this PC but it's somewhere in this thread http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52183

BTW your GB-17 is looking great.

Ken
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:35 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,917 Posts
I replaced the balsa spars with spruce in mine. Was easy to do and added a lot of strength without adding much weight.

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
621 Posts
Hi to everyone who has responded and thanks for your kind words, advice and encouragement! I will try the carbon rod route to strengthen the wing joint, just to be on the safe side. In answer to Bill's question, I am planning on covering the airframe with Solite, I used this on the Hawker Hart and it gives a great finish and is lightweight. I weighed all the various component parts last night including electrics, engines etc., and was encouraged to find that so far this build weighs-in at 21oz so may be under 27oz might be achievable. Attached are some images of the first retract installation these units are really neat and fit just fine. Hope all the other Funbuild projects are progressing ok.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
317 Posts
Wonderful build! I appreciate your skill, patience and attention to detail. Like a good book I can't wait to get to the end and the maiden flight.

Question concerning the weight currently at 21oz. You said you weighed all the components...etc. Is that including batteries? Will you be using two in series or parrallel? I've seen other multi-motor builds where they split it up.

Thanks and good luck!
Evelys

Subscribed
ediaz is offline Find More Posts by ediaz