HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:09 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
The new problem is the split elevator. If you have a XL you will see what I mean. The tail will have to be re-designed as the horns for the split elevator would have to be installed on the inside edge of each elevator. Did you ever see a horn installed on the edge of a control surface...think not, they are usually inboard toward the center to provide even torque. If the horns are on the edge, then, uneven pressure is applied to the elevator half. Think about that, especially if CA hinges are used..

Thus, to be engineered right, the servos would be at an angle, the pushrods routed through the sides of the fuse toward the center of each elevator. Even that is not perfect.

But what do I know, I'm just a bean counter that has gone through the FAA to engineer modifications to my own full sized planes, what are you?

PS, I am changing the horns to be Tams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
did you look?.......because if you did you would have seen that he replaced all the control horns with ones he sells
whats the new problem you see?
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:26 PM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
The new problem is the split elevator. If you have a XL you will see what I mean. The tail will have to be re-designed as the horns for the split elevator would have to be installed on the inside edge of each elevator. Did you ever see a horn installed on the edge of a control surface...think not, they are usually inboard toward the center to provide even torque. If the horns are on the edge, then, uneven pressure is applied to the elevator half. Think about that, especially if CA hinges are used..

Thus, to be engineered right, the servos would be at an angle, the pushrods routed through the sides of the fuse toward the center of each elevator. Even that is not perfect.

But what do I know, I'm just a bean counter that has gone through the FAA to engineer modifications to my own full sized planes, what are you?

Not sure if I fully understand you, but post #1278 by Tumbler shows a few BVM setups. I think it will be fine, unless I'm missing something.
Brickyard is online now Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:30 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
there,I got that said. I just needed to do that. I hope you take it in the constructive spirit in which it was offered. In the end the choice is yours to make.
Guys, as involved as I've been in the industry for over a decade now, it's *still* just a hobby.

I don't take offense when people try to call me out; I often just laugh it off.
When people try to make a living off this hobby, is when they start getting tempted to, and often succumb to alienating themselves from 90% of the rest of the world and begin making fools of themselves... even though they think they're *cool* doing it

I don't regret any of my opinions, and I don't take offense to any of the keyboard warriors on here either. It is what it is, so take it as you will. Don't really care if I upset some of *the other guys peeps* if I have an opposing opinion

NOW back to work on this new stab-type-thingy on my free time after getting back from an 0500 flight...

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
hey Al (scalefan)
I didn't mean to get into a pissin contest with you just wondered what you say as "another problem" was and yep I'm fully aware of the issues you have outlined and am working with tam to get the best solution with the least amount of modifications. I am confident that our solution will be good for the stock stabs out their from the first batch of kits and hopefully Het comes up with a better solution for the rest of the folks buying this kit in the future. I dont see the point in revealing what I do for a living. I could tell you where I work but whats the point.
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Last edited by jcdfrd; Jun 05, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:14 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,981 Posts
Do you take an unmarked airliner to work? LOL
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jun 05, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:19 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
deleted post
Last edited by jcdfrd; Jun 05, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:25 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,981 Posts
Vic, I'm glad that you are happy with the way you've handled the non-issue, that may or may not exist. I will say that from here, it just didn't fly, and your thinly
masked arrogant and condescending attitude was inappropriate for the rep of a factory or store,paid or unpaid.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Deleted
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Jun 05, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Well when boredom sets in, I get tired of counting the same beans over and over, then, I'm almost ready for pissing contests to stay awake. That is why I razz Tam, he can take it. (but he also is ready to dish it out)

Years ago when I worked for the government, I had the clearances, because I audited the company that you work for. It doesn't matter which one, I audited them all. Uncle Sam paid me to fly my own planes all over the country to start those audits. It's a story of who we used to be.

Toot your horn, I found that almost every human being has something of greatness inside, ya just got to get to know them to find it.

No bad intentions meant, I'm sure we met.
well we probably havent met as I wouldn't be handling audits other than to be hidin the stuff we dont want you to see lol!!!!
Last edited by jcdfrd; Jun 06, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:10 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Well when boredom sets in, I get tired of counting the same beans over and over, then, I'm almost ready for pissing contests to stay awake. That is why I razz Tam, he can take it. (but he also is ready to dish it out)
Years ago when I worked for the government, I had the clearances, because I audited the company that you work for. It doesn't matter which one, I audited them all. Uncle Sam paid me to fly my own planes all over the country to start those audits. It's a story of who we used to be.

Toot your horn, I found that almost every human being has something of greatness inside, ya just got to get to know them to find it.

No bad intentions meant, I'm sure we met.
You crazy Al...
I can take and don't use report key like some chick on here. LOL
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Deleted
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Jun 05, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post

This board just gets more interesting every day
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,008 Posts
Quote:

Yes---I have seen the control horn on the edge of a control surface...For example---The Avonds F-16/F-15 have the taileron horns mounted on the inside edges of the control surface...Modelers with a great deal of experience have seen this...

One way to do this is to take an "L" shaped control horn and sandwich it in a hardwood/aircraft ply "pad" with reliefs cut into the hardwood to accept the "L" part of the control horn...Also, cut a relief for the horn itself in the hardwood/aircraft ply to mount the horn flush with the edge of the control surface...VERY STIFF!!!...Properly executed this is just as good as a control horn installed 3/16"-1/4" inboard...

A control surface is only as strong as the material it's made from...If a soft and flexible material is used, the control surface will bend and twist...If the control surface is rigid then it won't twist/bend...Of course the surface has to be rigid but strong enough to handle the loads imposed upon it...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
104 Posts
At least 10 years ago this site was a fun place. Now we have for our entertainment threads about Chinese EDF's. I'm not going to mention anything else for now because I don't want to offend those of whom enjoy their chinese EDF's since they will run off and cry to what I truly have to say.
Super Matt is offline Find More Posts by Super Matt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Kevin,

My point is, that with split elevators, and horns on one end, the twisting could happen in the hinge area, unequal torque. Especially true with CA hinges.

That is all that I meant when I said new problems. I made this happen on other planes, the split elevator will move more closer to the horn when pressure is applied....pressure being the increased airspeed. The other end is weaker, no horn. The pull and push is at the horn.

Think about it, picture holding the outboard end of the elevator with your finger, while working the servo The inboasrd edge with the horn will move, the outboard edge will stay put because of your finger. The wind pressure can act as your finger when the plane is flying at high speed. The horn needs to be closer to center on each elevator half.

Al