Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:03 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
pdawg
I think you may have misinterpreted #3, I also like Knife's the best with tapered elev and so if your going to go with #3 Robert, then you might as well do Knifes version #4
so my pref is 4,3,2,1
Jcdfrd,
Thank you for the heads up! Your right I didn't see the proposed black hingelines over the brown background. With that said I'd go with something along those lines.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:08 AM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Just a thought; when you guys are suggesting/approving design fixes to Robert, remember that it isn't his product. He is a vendor of HET products, and I doubt he is the exclusive world wide sales agent for this model.
If Robert has any input as to what is done with the stab/elevator by HET it would only be as a suggestion to them not a dictate.

Now this is not to exclude the possibility of EJF simply designing and producing an inhouse "aftermarket" fix for the stab/elevator.

Just remember that things are really up to HET.........

OK, off my soap box,
-Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,943 Posts
That really isn't true about the angle. Pic 1 is the BVM Bandit's Elevator. Pic 2 is the BVM Bandit Rudder. Pic 3 is my Blaze that does over 175 with no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
1 and 2 look viable. But 3 looks like you'll have to change the servo location because of the ele angle.
3 is definitely best looking in my book tho.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:12 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,453 Posts
Mike,
Well it is EJF who is taking the initiative to fix an aerodynamic/structural design flaw. Good luck to HET if they choose to not listen.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
Not Funny......
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Mike,
Well it is EJF who is taking the initiative to fix an aerodynamic/structural design flaw. Good luck to HET if they choose to not listen.
Oh no.......you are absolutely correct.
I guess I could have phrased it differently, and as you so succinctly put it; it really is up to HET to listen to Robert's input.
One then hopes HET is not too proud to do a needed redesign.
-Mike
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:17 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Mike,
I'm not sure why Mike felt the need to add uniformed opinions, However EJF and HET do have a close business relationship and we have been asked to help solve this correctly once and for all.

I want this solution to be as public as possible.with as many people that want to help so we can all get back to having some fun.

--RW
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:18 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Oh no.......you are absolutely correct.
I guess I could have phrased it differently, and as you so succinctly put it; it really is up to HET to listen to Robert's input.
One then hopes HET is not too proud to do a needed redesign.
-Mike
Mike I know your a whizzy guy. believe me I'm all in on HET so it's real important for us and everyone around the world for a fix.

--RW
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:35 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Robert, if making a new stab mold is not a problem, I`d like to suggest a 4th option. This would keep the elevator area basicly unchanged, keeps the outline close to the original, and will taper the cord of the elevators smaller toward the tip. One other minor change that I believe is important, the outer ends of the elevators run parallel to the line of flight.

Also I think that the elevator servos could be moved forward some with this design.

Here`s the best that I could do with Paint.
Looking good. what is the moving control surface width?

--RW
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:36 PM
Not Funny......
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
I'm not sure why Mike felt the need to add uniformed opinions,........... .......so we can all get back to having some fun.
--RW
LOL !
Glad I'm the only one here with "uninformed opinions"
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:09 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
That really isn't true about the angle. Pic 1 is the BVM Bandit's Elevator. Pic 2 is the BVM Bandit Rudder. Pic 3 is my Blaze that does over 175 with no issue.
Your Blaze is nice. Only 175?

I think the point is the hinge line, horn and servo movement should be aligned for optimal setup so everything stays orthogonal to each other in all the movements.

--RW
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:26 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
Looking good. what is the moving control surface width?

--RW
Thanks Robert. I don`t have an XL stab/elevator to work with, I`m just working from the pics you posted. I don`t think the exact width is critical, I would just try to keep the area of the elevator close to the original elevator, keep the trailing edge rake the same, and have the ratio of the root cord to the tip cord aprox 3 to 2.

Straighten out the tip edge of the elevator to run parallel to the aircraft centerline, and bring curve of the stab tip in some at the back so that the little stationary part just outside of the elevator doesn`t get wider at the back than it is at the hingeline extended.

If you give me a pic with the dimentions on it, I can draw up something exact if it would help.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:31 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I see that. But in your pics, servo is aligned with hinge line. Not at an angle from center of stab out to ele. like the proposed pic.

And your pic three is what I was talking about having to move servos out to align with inner edge of ele. and hinge line. Altho I would have pivoted the servos a couple degrees to perfect the alignment in that pic.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:32 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
Changed to the post below for clarification.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:33 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Thanks Robert. I don`t have an XL stab/elevator to work with, I`m just working from the pics you posted. I don`t think the exact width is critical, I would just try to keep the area of the elevator close to the original elevator, keep the trailing edge rake the same, and have the ratio of the root cord to the tip cord aprox 3 to 2.

Straighten out the tip edge of the elevator to run parallel to the aircraft centerline, and bring curve of the stab tip in some at the back so that the little stationary part just outside of the elevator doesn`t get wider at the back than it is at the hingeline extended.

If you give me a pic with the dimentions on it, I can draw up something exact if it would help.
All that being said, I think that your #3 would work. I just think that tapered elevators and the slight tip mods that I mentioned would make it just a little better and wouldn`t be any harder or more expensive to produce
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:46 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
They won't fit that way, the servos need to be more forward, in front of the spar. It will work perfect that way. The fuse is actually cut out wider in that area so the servos can protrude into the tail cone.

The stab is marked with a cut out line right over the spar, the alternate drawings show the two servos mounted where the single servo is mounted, won't work very good in this position. They need to be as close to the leading edge of the stab, with a support that goes from the center of the spar to the leading edge of the stab, perpendicular.
Yes, there's room. that would give a little more tailpipe clearance too.

--RW
Site Sponsor