HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:03 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,506 Posts
Fyingfoam.com could have cores cut inside a week

http://www.flyingfoam.com/QuickOrderEPS.html you can spec the demensions online.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:45 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Hello ..
I'm new to tihs thread but I was around youtube watching vids of this plane for quite sometime
anyone built this jet with a stumax setup yet?
preferably a 700-68-1200 on 10s?

and I vebeen reading random posts for the past two hoursin this thread...
so HET havent come out with a new elevator design yet. correct?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:30 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
As we proceed were looking for some more constructive opinions at this point. 2 - 2Kg metal gear servos in the center with 3 spread out hinges on each side.

Stab 1 and 2 only require new control surfaces but Stab 3 would need a new front stab mold, not a problem if that's what's needed.

--RW
Robert, if making a new stab mold is not a problem, I`d like to suggest a 4th option. This would keep the elevator area basicly unchanged, keeps the outline close to the original, and will taper the cord of the elevators smaller toward the tip. One other minor change that I believe is important, the outer ends of the elevators run parallel to the line of flight.

Also I think that the elevator servos could be moved forward some with this design.

Here`s the best that I could do with Paint.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jun 03, 2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Made note about elevator servos
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:33 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Hello ..
I'm new to tihs thread but I was around youtube watching vids of this plane for quite sometime
anyone built this jet with a stumax setup yet?
preferably a 700-68-1200 on 10s?

and I vebeen reading random posts for the past two hoursin this thread...
so HET havent come out with a new elevator design yet. correct?
Only a few of the new XL design have flown, and none have had a Stumax in them as far as I know. Corsair Nut is using a Jetfan on 8s with a 1500kv motor.

HET is now working on a new elevator design.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:55 AM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
As we proceed were looking for some more constructive opinions at this point. 2 - 2Kg metal gear servos in the center with 3 spread out hinges on each side.

Stab 1 and 2 only require new control surfaces but Stab 3 would need a new front stab mold, not a problem if that's what's needed.

--RW
Isn't 3 what your trying to avoid? (controlling the elevator by its smallest point). 1 changes the profile to much (although it should work), that leaves "2". Or the absolute best option "4" which Knife Liddle suggested
Brickyard is offline Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:42 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
472 Posts
I'm with Brickyard... I like 2 and 4. No way to #3.
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:13 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Isn't 3 what your trying to avoid? (controlling the elevator by its smallest point). 1 changes the profile to much (although it should work), that leaves "2". Or the absolute best option "4" which Knife Liddle suggested
To be clear, on #3 I think that Robert is suggesting a constant cord elevator (just the darker brown portion) not including the faded out brown part.

Mine is different in that the elevator cord gets smaller toward the tip and the outer end of the elevator is not angled outward. It runs in line with the line of flight (or the centerline of the airframe). Also I`ve reduced the amount of sweep in the curved leading edge at the tip. This matches the wing tip a little better and keeps the part of the stab just outboard of the elevator tip more of a constant width instead of getting wider at the trailing edge.

These are fine tuning points, but having lost $700 worth (total loss) of Original Sniper 90 due to elevator flutter, I think these minor changes are needed. Regardless of what HET decideds to do, this (pic on the right) is what my XL stab/elevator will look like when I get one.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jun 03, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:37 AM
Colorado Springs, Co
Joined May 2002
93 Posts
If we call Lee's version option # 4
My vote is 4, 3, 2, 1
Greg
gbmoore is offline Find More Posts by gbmoore
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:02 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
I like Lee's version #4, but all versions as depicted in the drawings will not work well without minor redesign of the stab mounting to the tailcone.

It's not quite as easy as everyone thinks, the two servos will have to be mounted more forward on the stab, in front of the spar that runs lengthwise across the stab. If mounted toward the trailing edge, the tail cone strength will be compromised.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Only a few of the new XL design have flown, and none have had a Stumax in them as far as I know. Corsair Nut is using a Jetfan on 8s with a 1500kv motor.

HET is now working on a new elevator design.
Thanks forthe reply. I guess I will have to wait
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Double post
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Robert, if making a new stab mold is not a problem, I`d like to suggest a 4th option. This would keep the elevator area basicly unchanged, keeps the outline close to the original, and will taper the cord of the elevators smaller toward the tip. One other minor change that I believe is important, the outer ends of the elevators run parallel to the line of flight.

Also I think that the elevator servos could be moved forward some with this design.

Here`s the best that I could do with Paint.
I love the look of this. But if it had come like this, I would still have moved the servos out into the stab middle section for strength.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:22 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,515 Posts
Robert,
I think option 3 is the best of the 3 options. The next question is whether the elevator still has enough surface area....probably so. Lee is correct that his option 4 is the best for form and function but I think option 3 will get the job done!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Last edited by pdawg; Jun 03, 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Jcdfdr pointed out the hingelines change in option 3
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:24 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
They won't fit that way, the servos need to be more forward, in front of the spar. It will work perfect that way. The fuse is actually cut out wider in that area so the servos can protrude into the tail cone.

The stab is marked with a cut out line right over the spar, the alternate drawings show the two servos mounted where the single servo is mounted, won't work very good in this position. They need to be as close to the leading edge of the stab, with a support that goes from the center of the spar to the leading edge of the stab, perpendicular.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:33 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
pdawg
I think you may have misinterpreted #3, I also like Knife's the best with tapered elev and so if your going to go with #3 Robert, then you might as well do Knifes version #4
so my pref is 4,3,2,1
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd