Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 31, 2012, 12:09 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivergottlieb View Post
Looking at this picture elevator travel won’t be a problem., the elevator extension will be after the exhaust, and as there will be more surface, less throw will be need.
Hope you not goes with that.
That what causing all the crash so far.
I would wait for HET to had new replace elevator stab or redo the stabs if you know how.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 01:02 PM
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Oct 2006
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
if the elev trailing edge moves up into the efflux from the tail pipe you will have vectored thrust ,.....can you say touchy Elev.
HUMMMM 3D??

Good point, and what about leaving the center fix, or leaving off?
Made 2 ideas with singe servo or twin servo, using a thick steel wire for movement.
olivergottlieb is offline Find More Posts by olivergottlieb
Last edited by olivergottlieb; May 31, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,419 Posts
i'd use real thick piano wire.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 31, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
Anyone know how much elevator offset you should program with flaps?
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old May 31, 2012, 05:19 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,477 Posts
im not using any with mine, it sets up for a nice decent, and i like holding a little bit of up myself. the down pitch wasnt enough for me to want to program any up in. my CG is at 4.5" as well.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 31, 2012, 05:42 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,211 Posts
Same here.
None of the Snipers I've flown have needed any Elevator-to-Flap mixing at any Flap setting and/or airspeed.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old May 31, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivergottlieb View Post
HUMMMM 3D??

Good point, and what about leaving the center fix, or leaving off?
Made 2 ideas with singe servo or twin servo, using a thick steel wire for movement.
I like the twin Idea.
But I would move the control arm on the elevator out more towards the middle.

Might do this with mine, as I'm getting a bad feeling about mounting servos out in the stab. Just a bit flimsy where I'd have to put them and I'd have control arms hanging down at rear of jet.....Which I don't like.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old May 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,964 Posts
CopyCat

I too will copy CN a bit, I ordered the JetFan 90MM from Mike and I will use the HET 1400kv, on 8S, now we just have to wait for the Sniper to be available.

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old May 31, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I've got a HET 700-935 set up in a JetFan 90 to try on 11 or 12S. But you all will be on to other planes by the time I fly it probably! LOL
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:00 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,378 Posts
Does anyone have a bad elevator up for grabs? I just need it for measurements and thickness
Has anybody thought of using a 1/8 dia control line style elevator horn?
http://clcentral.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BLF%2D02D
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; Jun 01, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:33 AM
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Oct 2006
82 Posts
Michael,

Shure, that was just the idea.

Apex,

Thats the part!
olivergottlieb is offline Find More Posts by olivergottlieb
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:13 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,227 Posts
I started construction of my XL and noted several things to think about.

1, The elevator comes with a different servo horn, it is not glued like the others, it is a two piece post, attached with through bolts. Requires a larger cut out in order to mount the assembly.

2. The elevator servo is not mounted in the elevator as described in the picture. If it is mounted that way, the spar that reinforces the stab, will have to be compromised. The spar runs the complete length of the stab, as the stab is basically hollow.

3. The cut out in the tail section of the fuse has to be enlarged to mount the stab with elevator and servo. This weakens the rear tail pipe area of the fuse. I am reinforcing this area from the inside. I am also thinking that the stab needs to be glued, not just bolted with the two bolts.

4. After the elevator and stab are mounted, you will have restricted movement, no 3D type throws, but plenty enough.

5. I used epoxy on the hinges, and sealed the elevator, both sides, with clear hinge tape. Very Ugly.

Without reinforcement, I can't imagine this plane achieving those high speeds without some kind of issue. But, what do I know?
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:35 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,477 Posts
Al, i did not cut my spar, i mearly cut off my servo mount tabs for extra clearance, i siliconed my servo to the skin/spar of the stab. i also used the stock bolts to hold the stab on, as well as some silicon. rather than hinge tape, you could just use clear scotch tape, does the same job. make sure your elevator horn assembly is as long as possible to make the most out of your servo torque, and install the pushrod on the lowest possible hole on the servo arm. i did have to clearance my fuse a little bit where the control horn is to get the desired amount on down throw.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:33 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,211 Posts
Al,
Also please note that there has been a post about your exact mentioning.
The balsa spar is cut away in mine and Steve's and then supplemented with an extra hardwood piece. Very simple to do and takes less than 5 minutes... literally takes longer for the glue to dry.
See post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=510

And yes, definitely glue that Stab on!
I never recommended relying on just the two bolts; but I do use them to align the Stab and keep pressure on it until the adhesive cures.

Cheers,
Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:53 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,227 Posts
I used the CN method, cut away the skin following the outline on the stab, inserted a square piece of 1/8 ply, glued the ply all around and on the bottom to the spar, glued the servo on top of my 1/8 ply. Cut the tabs off the servo.

Thanks for saving me the time to re-read all the posts, I should have taken notes the first time. Looks like we all; are on the same page, so to speak.

Thanks for the response, looks like I am on the right track.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN