HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I understand that VGs are to direct or control air in a certain area. But wouldn't that be more of a fix for the stab and not the elevator?

Also. I just mounted my wing yesterday. Is it just me? Or does the mounting set up seem kinda....um....wimpy?
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Well a wise man once said, "A man should know his limits" can`t argue with that. I say, Get`er Done!
I'm installing it with Silicone.....So when a cooler one comes out...I don't miss out!
Old May 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
That's AWESOME!!!!! I think this plane is a gold mine that got off to a rough start. Glad to hear it
I agree with Vic's and Brent's great flying reports I think it just may be worth the extra effort to make it right
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old May 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
Current state of mine:
Great work Michael, your almost done. we need to get busy.

--RW
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor
Old May 28, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
Great work Michael, your almost done. we need to get busy.

--RW
I'll rely on you experts to make something pretty.
I'm just trying not to make a $700.00/150 MPH lawn dart out of mine.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:11 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
But I think they are an aerodynamic crutch to fix a problem that wasn't completly thought out...I read an article on the F-4 Phantom---Every bend that you see in that plane is a crutch to fix an aerodynamic deficiency that the engineers overlooked...12 1/2 degrees dihedral on the wing tips---23 1/2 degrees anhedral in the stabs (Both if my memory serves me well) are crutches to fix a problem...Not to mention that the government just throws money at a project until it flies!!!...Vortex generators shouldn't be necessary on this model IMO...

Kevin
they are a fix ...but if you look at a lot of full scale planes they have them .....and i've seen them all over on military and civ. planes.not saying brents fixed any thing but so far so good .
Jonh ...i sold my other TJ F-16 and the ventrials fins went with it ....so i need one to copy
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 29, 2012, 01:59 AM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
Nice mod. I'm trying to review the messages with useful content to move forward and help resolve this. I happen to be working on projects nearby to that Windtunnel and it was suggested. if that's not needed then fine, just another option.

Many helpful people have been on the rcgroups for years and likewise many have been run off so I appreciate anyone trying to help and being constructive. I'm eager to help resolve this in the best way possible.

What about a straight across same width elevator. The Quickie 500's had those for years although I notice most are V-Tails now.

--RW
Thanks Robert, glad you like the mod. I think you should stick to what i believe was the original concept of this plane (makeing a mini, very affordable Bandit), right down to the elevator. My mod just copies that format..
Here's a quick list of things I think Het did right with SSXL
Right:
1. Excellent concept (bandit like sport jet with no inherent bad habits)
2. Size is perfect for air presence/big plane feel.
3. $399 target price!!!
4. all composite (epoxy)
5. Painted ARF
Can you tell I'm a fan of this project?

Honestly, I would have thought the elevator would have worked fine as is until it didn't. A mistake I think we all could have made.
Robert, not sure exactly what's your/Hets differences with Tam, but please make amends with him. No matter what anyone feels about him, the guy is an unusually talented individual!!! Have you guys seen his bifurcated pipe on the Eflite F-4 conversion???!!! (yeah the one people said couldn't be done). Its like a miniature museum piece of art!.. I would love to get him on board with getting this thing turbinized once the new stabs complete..
Just my .02
Brickyard is offline Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old May 30, 2012, 12:01 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Hmmm.... The sound of craftsmen working away in their work shops!
Shhhhhh....Be Vewwy Vewwy qwuiet!
Old May 30, 2012, 01:28 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,214 Posts
Shhhhhhsh, man, you woke me up

besides you misspelled cwaftsmen
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 03:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Corsairs super sniper

Hey Corsairnut ., (or anybody in the know)
Can you tell me what motor,and KV, you are running in your super sniper please. All i know is that its on 8S.Goes great,and would like to do something similar.
Thanks
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown
Old May 30, 2012, 05:48 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliclown View Post
Hey Corsairnut ., (or anybody in the know)
Can you tell me what motor,and KV, you are running in your super sniper please. All i know is that its on 8S.Goes great,and would like to do something similar.
Thanks
See post #823 for all of Brent's details,but the motor is a Neu 1415~2y in a Jetfan~90 fan. The multi bladed Jetfan pulls more amps than something like the 9305 or Midifan. So unless you are using that fan, you will need a motor with a higher kv to hit 2.5kw on 8s.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 30, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:04 AM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
CN:

What size Linkage are you using on the Elevator set up? I believe you went with thicker linkage. Also, is there any elevator offset when using flaps. I would like to use flaps on my maiden and want to make sure I have it set.
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old May 30, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Knife Liddle

Thanks Knife
Yes , I have ordered the Jetfan from Rainer, thanks for your help
Steve
Old May 30, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Knife

PS
Read the post suggested, and noticed it was a 1415 1.5Y, not a 2Y. the difference in kv is 1500 to 1100.Can you confirm which motor used is correct?
Thanks Mate, i am about to order motor tomorrow
Steve
Old May 30, 2012, 07:06 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,214 Posts
Sorry, yes it's a 1.5y. They have a 1500kv which is good on8s in most 90mm fans. I shouldn't post before coffee.
RCG Plus Member