HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
no disrespect Vic just trying to help us get to a proper resolution and hopefully a low cost easy one

John
None taken.

Each one of your "theories" is correct via textbook.
We can go round and round and round... I'll I'm saying at the end of the day is that we're actively working solutions on several fronts.

Right here, right now, as long as your hinges are adhered properly and anchored into wood, you're going to be just fine. There is no aerodynamic flutter present up to and including 150mph. (We're working on a video to prove it.)

Looking ahead, there's talk of a Split-Elevator design and HET has been contacted about the immediate QA issue of assuring that the Trailing Edge of each Control Surface gets a solid, properly adhered anchor (wood).

Vic
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,732 Posts
mounting a keychain cam on the fuse looking at the stab and doing so high speed dives on film would put this to rest.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Of all of those planes mentioned none have the elevators larger at the tips than at the root...They, for the most part, look like Extremes example..

Kevin
No, Extreme changed the entire shape of the stab utilizing L-39 type elevators (big root, small tip)... I'm saying to keep the stab/airfoil exactly the same, but make the elevators the same width throughout like every plane I mentioned.
Brickyard is offline Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old May 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
mounting a keychain cam on the fuse looking at the stab and doing so high speed dives on film would put this to rest.
I think that's what the guys will be doing ASAP and maybe they can mount a smoke streamer and get some views of the flow.

--RW
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
No, Extreme changed the entire shape of the stab utilizing L-39 type elevators (big root, small tip)... I'm saying to keep the stab/airfoil exactly the same, but make the elevators the same width throughout like every plane I mentioned.
Gotcha---I was just looking at and making reference to the shape of the elevators themselves, not the entire stab...Again---Great to see Robert being an active participant.....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old May 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
I'm going to arrange at the local UofA Aerospace lab for us to bring over a functional elevator assembly to be run in the wind tunnel. Then we can get this figured out once and for all on the existing details of dynamics and potential redesign of control surface design and shape.

--RW
Spent a lot of time in that wind tunnel! I don't believe this test is worth of the electricity cost of running that tunnel...its abundantly obvious that the construction shortcuts compromise the aerodynamics of this elevator leading to increased likelihood of flutter. No need to test it out in a wind tunnel.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old May 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
We're probably going Contour HD
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old May 27, 2012, 05:26 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Spent a lot of time in that wind tunnel! I don't believe this test is worth of the electricity cost of running that tunnel...its abundantly obvious that the construction shortcuts compromise the aerodynamics of this elevator leading to increased likelihood of flutter. No need to test it out in a wind tunnel.
I'm all ears. here is a stab we were going to take over. we pinned all the hinges and secured the servo tray in.

--RW
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
will the eflight Habu 32 15 - 25 retracts fit this baby using differant struts ?
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old May 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,732 Posts
taped and glued servos are for foamies. i dont think flutter caused the servo to let go...it was simple force that broke the servo loose. het should have known better than to suggest simply taping and gluing the servo in.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00 View Post
will the eflight Habu 32 15 - 25 retracts fit this baby using differant struts ?
they fit perfect, Tam is making struts for this just like the habu32, they will be more than adequate and lite

I had to mod the nosewheel mount to get the right height, I think tam posted some pics a few pages back of the mod and fit
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Last edited by jcdfrd; May 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
great news as i have 3 sets of these lying around now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
they fit perfect, Tam is making struts for this just like the habu32, they will be more than adequate and lite
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old May 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
I'm all ears. here is a stab we were going to take over. we pinned all the hinges and secured the servo tray in.

--RW
I think the test should be done with the H stab attached to the plane as well as off the plane. The air coming off the wings and hitting the stab could have an overall effect that might not be noticed with the stab alone.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old May 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
229 Posts
Why does the Bandit have anhedral on it horizontal stabs? Maybe to keep them out of the wings disrupted air. Not sure how big the wind tunnel is, but perhaps the entire assembled aircraft should be put in.
Brickyard is offline Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old May 27, 2012, 11:05 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyard View Post
why does the bandit have anhedral on it horizontal stabs? Maybe to keep them out of the wings disrupted air. Not sure how big the wind tunnel is, but perhaps the entire assembled aircraft should be put in.
+ 1
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member