vic
love the checkerboard on the bottom of the wings. both snipers look fantastic
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old May 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,515 Posts
brents was a bit hard to see when flying away from your self ...got to love scale paint schemes...there fine when your young
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 24, 2012, 11:09 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Oh Yah, that was a good one! Makes me want one ....
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old May 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,213 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys.
Makes making the video worthwhile lol

Next we get Steve (Stevenfox905's) Sniper airborne!
I think we might be experimenting with a new power system on his though... allow me to explain:

While at LA Jets, it was abundantly clear that between Brent's and my Sniper, we had two very different performing airplanes.

- Brent is using a Jetfan 90 on 8s 5000's producing about 2.5kw
- Mine is using a HET 9305V2 on 12s 4200's producing about 4.1kw

Needless to say, Brent's was much lighter than mine (by feel alone, I would guess at least 1.5 - 2lbs lighter).
The differences in the air were very clear, and I was shocked to see just how dynamic this airframe really is comparing the two literally side-by-side.

Brent's Sniper is much lighter, and will out-turn and manuever mine any day of the week.
It's *perfect* for Pilots that like to fly tight manuevers and very brisk, snappy aerobatics... not to mention Brent did a hell of a job demonstrating that this past weekend!

Mine is heavier, but has a ton more power. I have unlimited vertical right at takeoff, my acceleration was way faster, and obviously I was capable of hitting a much higher top speed.
The con was that I really had to plan ahead to keep up with Brent's turn and not get too deep into the coals or I'd fly right past him...

And knowing Steve, my flying buddy is going to want a setup more like Brent's --- Something that has decent top end (around 130mph), but can still whip around tighter than my current 12s Sniper safely can.
SO, we're gonna run some tests and post numbers on a HET 9305V2 Fan using:
- Hyperion 3026-1400kv on 8s
and
- Hyperion 3026-1900kv on 6s

Both setups should generate around 2.5kw, and should drive the weight down versus my setup. Again, he'll be able to have a more snappy, aerobatic *pattern* type jet, while mine is full-blown powerhouse, still very capable of impressive manuevers, but at a heavier wing loading.

I'll keep you guys posted

Vic
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old May 24, 2012, 11:19 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
can you give us the auw's for brents and yours so we have a good guideline

thanks
John
Old May 24, 2012, 11:20 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,515 Posts
Brent and i have about the same set up for 90mm jets ...we just think there more fun ....and easier to fly ,heck brent can fly just about anything,but i know he has more fun with the lighter wing loading ,and allows him to fly this at our home field ,only 425 long and @ 4500 asl. so yeah i think a "softer" set up would be nice. brents lands so sweet ,but yours was'nt too bad either ,lots of wing on this bad boy ,HET got the wing area right on this one .the retracts and struts are very nice too.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
can you give us the auw's for brents and yours so we have a good guideline

thanks
John
Mine is 9.7lbs.
I didn't get to weigh Brent's (we were at the field), but it felt at least 1.5 - 2lbs. lighter based on my *calibrated hand*

Maybe if we ask reaaal nice we can get CorsairNut to put his on a scale
Old May 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
brents lands so sweet ,but yours was'nt too bad either ,lots of wing on this bad boy ,HET got the wing area right on this one .the retracts and struts are very nice too.
That's the thing that amazes me... the Wing must be generating more lift at lower speeds (especially with flaps) than I originally figured.

By analyzing the videos, Brent and I both rotate about the same spot on the runway on both our flights (+/- 5ft.) and our touchdown speeds are similar as well. I would never know that mine weighs so much more just by looking at it until I see Brent's land and his struts are still stiff while mine are just about fully compressed!

All good stuff!
Old May 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
well that would put him at 8lbs on 8s.......... thats what the Bu32 weighs on 8s the sniper is almost twice the size. that certainly will make for some kickbutt lite wingloading
common Brent....pretty please can you put your sniper on the scale
Old May 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,515 Posts
you can see the lift when brent does a T&G the plane lifts up in the back ,kinda nose down like a B-52 ,and stay flat no pitch up from full power being applied and full flaps deployed ...i think even Al and myself could land this one
Old May 24, 2012, 11:30 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,574 Posts
last i checked it was right around 9 lbs

and that landing was one of my faster ones. a couple of times, i got it really slow and smooth
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Yeah thanks!
It's too bad our Elevators were fluttering the entire time... we probably could have pushed them a little harder... I shoulda listened to Tam.

Vic
Nice flyinig..
I guess built one for John just the way it is. Even I already point out there is defected parts.
If it survice no flutter. I personally come up said is alright appologized.
If it flutter...well...send the bill to EJF.

Making invoice for John every parts was in the airplane for record...LOL
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old May 24, 2012, 11:37 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
cool so I have my goal now 10s at 9lbs and the best of both worlds
Old May 24, 2012, 11:43 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,213 Posts
Nobody is asking or expecting any sort of apology Tam.

I know you and your boys have the smarts and skills to build these right.
I'll tell you straight up, all you gotta do is locate where exactly the wood is on the Stab and slight shift your hinge line over to make sure your hinges are in the wood.

I did nothing special except for using upgraded Nylon Pinned Hinges from Dubro (#117) and making sure I epoxied the hell out of them.

Now go build and fly your friggin Sniper already okay?!?
They're alot of fun. I promise.

Vic