Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 21, 2012, 08:04 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
vic never made any serious long or diving speed runs, but did make a number of WOT passes each flight. its doing a solid 150mph, and thats without a long run. it had insane vertical too. the acceleration in air was also really good on vics. i went with a 8s setup because im tired of flying brick sleds, and just wanted a sport jet....not a speed machine. it still does pretty good even on 8s, still does about 130 or so. lands like a butterfly with sore feet. this airframe isnt really designed for all out top speed anyhow, the inlets and ducting beeing the #1 hinderance to speed. vic had a good idea to make inlet extensions kinda like tam made for the starfire. i think its a great idea, but should be done with new and efficient ducting. the inlets on it now are easily big enough for a 120mm lol. lots of extra drag there, and i can really see it when i come off the power.
What about doing inlet splitters against the inside edge? Think that would help? I'm considering it cause I can't think of a better way to shrink the inlets.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
about the inlets. that's 1 of the things that I suggested in the 120 sniper thread

it's too bad that they didn't address that issue on the XL. the basic sniper airframe is a good 1 it could just be so much better with a little bit of refinement

the original sniper 90 is only 170 dollars I can see making the major changes to the fuselage on

but if I spend 400 dollars I'm not going to hack up the nose on the XL. I think I'd rather put a 4.5 inch fan in it instead of changing the itakes
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; May 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:24 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I'm mocking it up right now with foam board pieces and it doesn't look too bad. And really easy to do with a foam board spacer, some light ply and glue. And of course some paint and glass or coating for strength.
I'm essentially replacing almost the whole inside wall of the intake. My wall will just get thinner as it goes towards fan and inlet gets more in line with what the fan needs for air.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:30 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
I like the splitter idea. It will give it kind of the scale look. I just don't know how much it will reduce the drag.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 10:30 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,621 Posts
c/n and i disscussed puting some nice round lips on it and then have ducing to fit the new smaller id of the inlet .dont think a splitter plate will help much. also the ducting itself is not that good .the rounded end at the
Y causes issues.we have seen it on the L-39 and the F-20 once you cut a hole in it so air fills in they work and sound better. constant area,seperate ducts would be the way to go .i dont understand why these companies keep using old tech ,on there new airframes....keeps me busy so i guess i should be happy.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 21, 2012, 10:35 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
no kidding AS. sometimes it seems like they are living in a cave. they just don't get out much I guess

or maybe they just have a slow internet connection. maybe they are still on dial up
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
c/n and i disscussed puting some nice round lips on it and then have ducing to fit the new smaller id of the inlet .dont think a splitter plate will help much. also the ducting itself is not that good .the rounded end at the
Y causes issues.we have seen it on the L-39 and the F-20 once you cut a hole in it so air fills in they work and sound better. constant area,seperate ducts would be the way to go .i dont understand why these companies keep using old tech ,on there new airframes....keeps me busy so i guess i should be happy.
Well replacing the lip and outside wall would actually be a little simpler I think. Except for the rounded lip which would have to be molded and sanded, or just sanded......Or made as part of a new duct!! (Hint*)
Old May 21, 2012, 10:53 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,621 Posts
i think it would require a mold for a glass lip that fits the exsisting inlets and then ducting that fit into the lip.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
How long you think HET and their dealers had any replacement stab available.
I could fix the one I got here from John..but why fix at customer expense when the factory had plenty of time R&D and still had issue.

EJF...this kit from you.
Get the ball rolling will you.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old May 21, 2012, 11:23 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,252 Posts
Got a new job so all my free time has been spent studying and flying for the new company!
Video won't be done for a few days at least. But Brent's right; the video will speak for itself.

The elevator flies just fine.
I will be the first guy to admit that it's not *optimally* designed (matter of fact, not many changes I asked for were even implemented), but for some strange mystical reason I got absolutely no flutter when I poured on the coals (many, many times) on my 4.1kW Sniper over the weekend... Hmmm... so strange.

Brent flew his hard this weekend... on STOCK hinges.
I flew mine many times as well with several WOT passes out of dives (though admittedly I wasn't doing 500ft. Split-S dives... there was an altitude cap of 400ft.).

There wasn't a hint of Elevator flutter. You can argue and analyze and all you want.
At the risk of being flamed by self-proclaimed aerodynamics experts, I'm going to say that as long as you're properly installing hinges you're going to be just fine.

And for today's tip of the day:
Remember kids --- Just because you read it on the internet doesn't necessarily make it true!

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old May 21, 2012, 11:24 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
EJF...this kit from you.
Get the ball rolling will you.
Your request will be placed in line and addressed accordingly.
We appreciate your patience in this matter
Old May 21, 2012, 11:42 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
Vic, is your elevator/stab completely stock except for the hinges, or did you add some kind of reinforcement?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 12:26 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,252 Posts
Stock Stabilizer and Elevator as it came out of the box, including the stock control horn.
Upgraded Dubro Nylon Pinned Hinges (part #117) glued in with generous amounts of epoxy.
Definitely went for the 'overkill' approach, but nothing any other experienced modeler would consider outrageous.

Working on the video now... you guys are gonna like this one

Vic
Old May 22, 2012, 12:32 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,944 Posts
Thanks Vic. I hear ya. Looking forward to vid. Congrats on your new job.

I can see you holding uo a cardboar sign, it says " Will Play for Pay" LOL

Just kidding of course. These days, if you get paid, there`s always plenty of work involved.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 12:33 AM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Your request will be placed in line and addressed accordingly.
We appreciate your patience in this matter
the above is the equivalent of this steaming pile

zaskarkid is offline Find More Posts by zaskarkid