SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2012, 05:14 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,536 Posts
Just got word back from HET, they are going to look at splitting the elevator stab and run 2 separate halves.

Shouldnt be too hard to run a couple of small servos inside the rear with rods running out either side of the fuse? Or maybe a nice thick piano wire joiner across the back? Just thinking out loud
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
227 Posts
Hopefully they'll go to a conventional shape also.
Brickyard is offline Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old May 20, 2012, 11:37 AM
My dremel tool has no fear
Reston, VA
Joined Dec 1999
349 Posts
here is the stab I made for the regular Sniper. 1/2" balsa ,carbon, and the whole thing will be glassed. I don't have the XL, so I don't know if it is the same flat plate design.

good airfoil shape, lightweight tapered edge control surface, gapless hinge, solid control linkage, and maybe some anhedral = no flutter, look at the Habu's
Mark is offline Find More Posts by Mark
Old May 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,058 Posts
Hey Mark, what`s up? Looks like you made your own vertical and rudder too. It will look better and will solve the flutter issue for sure. Now just rebuild the wing and reinforce the fuselage and you`ll be set
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
My dremel tool has no fear
Reston, VA
Joined Dec 1999
349 Posts
Lee

wing is already modded, carbon, sharpened trailing edges, glassed, etc, fuse reinforcements too.
I started this a year ago, but like you, I tend to skip around from project to project. I'm just getting back to it.

the new XL looks nice, epoxy fuse should be much nicer than polyester
Mark is offline Find More Posts by Mark
Old May 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,439 Posts
Mark, are you going to rework the intakes to complement the tailfeathers? Like the work
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old May 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
Any flight reports on the 90XL from LA Jets. I read in a post that two Sniper flew together in formation. Lets hear about it!!
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old May 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,034 Posts
vic should be done with the video tonight i hope. ill let the video speak for the flying qualities of the sniper...but needless to say i flew it ten times yesterday and fell in love with it lol. all i did was change packs in it all day. never even had to touch it otherwise. by far the best flying 90mm jet ive ever had
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 20, 2012, 11:56 PM
Ripoff britain
Joined Jan 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
vic should be done with the video tonight i hope. ill let the video speak for the flying qualities of the sniper...but needless to say i flew it ten times yesterday and fell in love with it lol. all i did was change packs in it all day. never even had to touch it otherwise. by far the best flying 90mm jet ive ever had
Told u they fly great im going to get another for sure
alanjets is offline Find More Posts by alanjets
Old May 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Brent,

Perhaps you could also summarize any changes you made to the basic airframe all in one post.

thanks

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old May 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,034 Posts
added carbon fiber strap inside the rear fuse under the rudder, to stiffin, used offset hinges for the flaps, and sealed the elevator gap, and put on some VG's which probably arnt doing anything lol.i used stock hinges all around. i did add extra glue through the servo bays in the wings to the gear structure, and surrounding structure i could get to. other than that, straight from the boog, even used stock pushrods accept i used a 440 all thread and clevis's on the stab servo. stock gear too.

CG ive discovered a great plae to start on the CG is 4.5" back from the fwd wing/fuse gap. i think slightly farther aft will yield better knifeedge and inverted flight, though youll see when the video comes out, it doensnt need much help with the knife edge lol
Old May 21, 2012, 02:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
i got a lap or two in and it is a great flyer ..the way it lands makes me sick ...it get grease all over the runway
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Brent
was VIc flying 10 or 12s in his, how was the speed difference
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old May 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
vic was on 12s ..it was a tad faster,but it had more vert .but was not as nimble due to the extra weight. C/N and i both feel that the 8s set ups we are using with the JF 90mm is a great set up ,long flights and great perf.i let C/N fly my TJ F-16 and he said it flew better than with the wemo fan. i think i could have landed the XL pretty good too...maybe
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 21, 2012, 06:55 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,034 Posts
vic never made any serious long or diving speed runs, but did make a number of WOT passes each flight. its doing a solid 150mph, and thats without a long run. it had insane vertical too. the acceleration in air was also really good on vics. i went with a 8s setup because im tired of flying brick sleds, and just wanted a sport jet....not a speed machine. it still does pretty good even on 8s, still does about 130 or so. lands like a butterfly with sore feet. this airframe isnt really designed for all out top speed anyhow, the inlets and ducting beeing the #1 hinderance to speed. vic had a good idea to make inlet extensions kinda like tam made for the starfire. i think its a great idea, but should be done with new and efficient ducting. the inlets on it now are easily big enough for a 120mm lol. lots of extra drag there, and i can really see it when i come off the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Brent
was VIc flying 10 or 12s in his, how was the speed difference