HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 02:34 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
if i can talk C/N into makeing the plug i'll do it ...seems a nice plane ,and this would be a worth wild fix .im sure at least 12 or so guys would buy them to cover the cost of materials to make the molds.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
733 Posts
You can put me on the list, I would buy 1.
cquian is online now Find More Posts by cquian
Old May 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,128 Posts
Is the stab flat or airfoiled?
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,233 Posts
live hinging would be great. to be honest im not sure why HET didnt do that. beeing fully molded, live hinging would have been WAY stronger, and way lighter, and would have made the process much faster as you wouldnt have had to mold and of the control surfaces.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 17, 2012, 10:59 AM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Infact, maybe someone good with molding will fill it, make it all smooth, mold it, then start fresh & hand lay a proper stab. Could sell it as an aftermarket upgrade to all the guys who don't have time to fool with this. That'll get these things safetly airborne until Het addresses it.
I suggested this a few pages ago. You already have the right sized plug. You will maintain the proven het shape & not change the flight characteristics.
Do that & I'll definitely buy one
Brickyard is online now Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old May 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
we'll see what we can do .
Old May 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,581 Posts
You might want to see if HET are going to do something first before you invest alot of time and materials into this, could be like the Sapac intake ducts where they did their own in glass soon after you finished yours.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
i sold over 70 sets of ducts for the T-45 yeah maybe Robert will pop in and give us an idea if this would be ok to do or not.im just trying to help out would be a bummer if this palne never made it due to this proplem that can be fixed.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
You might want to see if HET are going to do something first before you invest alot of time and materials into this, could be like the Sapac intake ducts where they did their own in glass soon after you finished yours.
Good point.

I was going to add a snide remark about the length of time HET has already had to correct the problem, but that would be counter productive.

I`d just like to hear HET say that they understand there is a problem and that they plan to address it. So far, all I`ve seen is them letting Vic speak for them, and he`s been saying that there isn`t a problem, if I understand him correctly.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,581 Posts
I know you are trying to help out Rodger, the suggestion is only to protect you!
I emailed HET and asked about the situation with the assembly, so far no reply, will email Tony again today about it.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,018 Posts
Yep, that was the first thing I thought of when I first saw this thread. Should have had live hinging with the flaps being bottom hinged and ailerons and elevator top hinged.

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
live hinging would be great. to be honest im not sure why HET didnt do that. beeing fully molded, live hinging would have been WAY stronger, and way lighter, and would have made the process much faster as you wouldnt have had to mold and of the control surfaces.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old May 17, 2012, 07:34 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,018 Posts
Do they have a vendor thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Good point.

I was going to add a snide remark about the length of time HET has already had to correct the problem, but that would be counter productive.

I`d just like to hear HET say that they understand there is a problem and that they plan to address it. So far, all I`ve seen is them letting Vic speak for them, and he`s been saying that there isn`t a problem, if I understand him correctly.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old May 18, 2012, 01:50 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
I know you are trying to help out Rodger, the suggestion is only to protect you!
I emailed HET and asked about the situation with the assembly, so far no reply, will email Tony again today about it.
thanks Mark ......thinking about it if the plane crashed and i made the stab i might could get introuble .something to think about .have to add all that liabilty mumbo jumbo to the instructions.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:10 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,465 Posts
Lee or anybody, is there a drawing with dimentions around for the elevator?
I have an idea for an ele made from sparse framework and fliteskin utilizing live hinge that would take way less time rather than molding , bagging etc.
Lee, the ones I've gazed at are made flat like from 3/8 or 1/4 sheet and shaped
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old May 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
success!!!!!! i put 3 flights on the sniper this morning!!! man, does it fly NICE! tracks like its on some serious rails, lands like pure butter and flies very very smooth! the field i fly at is at 4,000 ft ASL, and the model came in just over 9 lbs. about 9.2 lbs. heavier than i wanted, not sure where the weight came from. mods to the model are vortex generators on the top of the stabs, and offset hinges on the flaps. i also filled the gaps on the flaps. everything else is bone stock. im even using stock hinges. i did however glue the crap out of them. i also ran alot of glue along the landing gear formers and ribs that i could get to inside the wing. i gave her a new paint job. started a a all white sniper. im using a JETFAN90 fan with a old test motor from steve neu that ive had for about 4 years. its the first prototype 1415 1.5y. and a equally old CC HV85. very smooth and quiet power system. only about 2400-2500W. using 2 year old turnigy 20C 8s 5000 packs. i started with my CG at 4" and even that looked really far forward. remember, im flying at 4,000 ft ASL, temp about 70 deg, and dead calm. i dont even want to know what the density altitude was today lol. on the first takeoff, i could tell it was nose heavy, but not extreme. couple clicks of up, and it was tracking great. explored the flight envelope, 0 pitch change with flaps, which i love. pretty hard left break away tip stall on a full flap, power off, full up stall. just let go of the stick, and flew away from the stall. first landing was sooo nice. this thing really settles in nicely on those sweet struts! had 45% pack left after a 4 min flight with mostly cruizing around. 2nd flight i opened her up. i shifted the packs back a little, cg now at 4.25". still feels a little nose heavy, seems like with the cg slightly more aft, it will KE really nice. drops nose pretty good in rolls and inverted still, so im going to try moving cg back to 4.5" but event slightly nose heavy rolls were really good. roll rate is very impressive! nailed second landing. it just settles in sooo nice on full flap. i used 1/2 flap for all takeoffs, and it rotates really nice. last flight, i really opened her up, using some new 8s 6000 packs, top speed seems to be in the 130mph range, and vertical is pretty impressive once the model is up to speed. nailed the 3rd landing, and man, it just settles amazingly soft. over all impressions are that i LOVE it! easy to fly, tracks on rails, slow landings, looks great in the air, and performs great too. i even put her in some full power diving speed aproaches, no sign of flutter. again, im using the stock hinges. just lots of glue. im one happy camper! cant wait to fly it at LA jets new week. thinking of doing some panel lines, and a small amount of weathering or i might just leave it. i love it!
Wow! great work Brent. just getting caught up from some traveling. I need to get with the team on the elevator debrief.

--RW
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor