HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
Ripoff britain
Joined Jan 2011
230 Posts
I was going to come across the right side of the strip i was in slight down and to the right when i applied full throttle i applied elivator and i had nothing ,if i had been straight up the patch and level im sure it would of carried on without the elivator i will get another one just from the first 2 min when i get a new job lol it happens in three's im not taking the f18 out for abit lol
alanjets is offline Find More Posts by alanjets
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,438 Posts
Also the resonance or frequency and ease of flutter due the lack of mass in the center of the surface,
the horn area has way less mass compared to the outer area of said control surface, Why wouldn't it flutter. I don't even have one in my hand but I betcha a nickle to a dollar if one were to grab and twist the control surface it would flex if not break in your hand. That narrow V area of the control surface is the source of resonance cause.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old May 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Also the resonance or frequency and ease of flutter due the lack of mass in the center of the surface,
the horn area has way less mass compared to the outer area of said control surface, Why wouldn't it flutter. I don't even have one in my hand but I betcha a nickle to a dollar if one were to grab and twist the control surface it would flex if not break in your hand. That narrow V area of the control surface is the source of resonance cause.
apex
my elevator is extremely ridged and very heavy it is perfectly straight and hard to twist the problem is it feels like it is solid resin its soo heavy and as a lot of you know heavy control surfaces are flutter waiting to happen. I dont think I can use it due to its weight
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old May 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
When I get back home I'm gonna put my wing parts up to a 150 Watt bulb and see what's going on.
I really think HET needs to fix and replace these and definitely Alan's plane!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old May 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
This issue has been fixed for a long time now. It was only prevalent in the V1 model of the original Sniper 90. This new Sniper 90XL is much bigger, and fully composite... no control surface issues on this one.
Wow....Isn't that a haunting post!
Old May 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,001 Posts
maiden tomorrow. pics soon....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 11, 2012, 07:55 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,058 Posts
looking forward to hearing how it goes
spyda00 is online now Find More Posts by spyda00
Old May 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Any mods Corsair?
Old May 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
ok so in an effort to help guys check their stabs for issues before you actually glue the on or fly them I'm going to post my findings with my particular stab. my buddy Nick has already glued his on and is done and all he did was upgrade the hinges to a klett style pinned hinges so crossing my finger for him. as you will see in my picks the mounting holes were drilled on the edge of the hardwood block and half the hole is into the soft balsa spar, I just spoke with Nick and his were drilled properly so this just something to check and/or correct the other issues have already been discussed with regaurds to the hinge blocks but here are some pics to clearly show the problem, mine is exceptionally bad but shouldn't be to hard to correct. after talking with nick apparently you have to remove the center portion of the stab spar to mount you servo, that doesnt seem to be a good idea, also the spar is the softest balsa I've ever seen I will be soaking it with thin CA to harden it up.

Vic I know your busy and so in a effort to try and prevent crashes (theses builds are moving along quickly) I went ahead and posted up the pics. I didn't want to step on your toes. sorry if I did
John
Hey John,
I did your trick with the light behind the stab, unfortunately my stab is already glued/bolted to the fuselage. The two outer most hinges on the left & right look as if there is wood in the stab which the hinges are in, I think? The other 3 are in thin air, no wood anywhere near the hinges! So my stab has 2 hinges holding the elevator on, that's great
Now I need to remove the stab some how, it will surely get destroyed in removing it. So I guess I need to figure out a way to get a new stab, I think HET should be replacing all the stabs at no charge for all of us with this issue.

Anyone else out there try the light trick?

Thanks,
Mike
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old May 12, 2012, 02:18 AM
Joined Jul 2011
242 Posts
I'm astonished that no trailing edge, either wing, stab or rudder has a piece of wood to reinforce the hinge glueing.
michel49 is offline Find More Posts by michel49
Old May 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
Ripoff britain
Joined Jan 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
ok so in an effort to help guys check their stabs for issues before you actually glue the on or fly them I'm going to post my findings with my particular stab. my buddy Nick has already glued his on and is done and all he did was upgrade the hinges to a klett style pinned hinges so crossing my finger for him. as you will see in my picks the mounting holes were drilled on the edge of the hardwood block and half the hole is into the soft balsa spar, I just spoke with Nick and his were drilled properly so this just something to check and/or correct the other issues have already been discussed with regaurds to the hinge blocks but here are some pics to clearly show the problem, mine is exceptionally bad but shouldn't be to hard to correct. after talking with nick apparently you have to remove the center portion of the stab spar to mount you servo, that doesnt seem to be a good idea, also the spar is the softest balsa I've ever seen I will be soaking it with thin CA to harden it up.

Vic I know your busy and so in a effort to try and prevent crashes (theses builds are moving along quickly) I went ahead and posted up the pics. I didn't want to step on your toes. sorry if I did
John
wished i had looked at mine first you just assume things are right never again
alanjets is offline Find More Posts by alanjets
Old May 12, 2012, 07:29 AM
toledo, oh, usa
Joined Nov 1999
1,403 Posts
Check your wings too! Mine are worse than the stab as far as support goes for hinges...
foss1997 is offline Find More Posts by foss1997
Old May 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,001 Posts
success!!!!!! i put 3 flights on the sniper this morning!!! man, does it fly NICE! tracks like its on some serious rails, lands like pure butter and flies very very smooth! the field i fly at is at 4,000 ft ASL, and the model came in just over 9 lbs. about 9.2 lbs. heavier than i wanted, not sure where the weight came from. mods to the model are vortex generators on the top of the stabs, and offset hinges on the flaps. i also filled the gaps on the flaps. everything else is bone stock. im even using stock hinges. i did however glue the crap out of them. i also ran alot of glue along the landing gear formers and ribs that i could get to inside the wing. i gave her a new paint job. started a a all white sniper. im using a JETFAN90 fan with a old test motor from steve neu that ive had for about 4 years. its the first prototype 1415 1.5y. and a equally old CC HV85. very smooth and quiet power system. only about 2400-2500W. using 2 year old turnigy 20C 8s 5000 packs. i started with my CG at 4" and even that looked really far forward. remember, im flying at 4,000 ft ASL, temp about 70 deg, and dead calm. i dont even want to know what the density altitude was today lol. on the first takeoff, i could tell it was nose heavy, but not extreme. couple clicks of up, and it was tracking great. explored the flight envelope, 0 pitch change with flaps, which i love. pretty hard left break away tip stall on a full flap, power off, full up stall. just let go of the stick, and flew away from the stall. first landing was sooo nice. this thing really settles in nicely on those sweet struts! had 45% pack left after a 4 min flight with mostly cruizing around. 2nd flight i opened her up. i shifted the packs back a little, cg now at 4.25". still feels a little nose heavy, seems like with the cg slightly more aft, it will KE really nice. drops nose pretty good in rolls and inverted still, so im going to try moving cg back to 4.5" but event slightly nose heavy rolls were really good. roll rate is very impressive! nailed second landing. it just settles in sooo nice on full flap. i used 1/2 flap for all takeoffs, and it rotates really nice. last flight, i really opened her up, using some new 8s 6000 packs, top speed seems to be in the 130mph range, and vertical is pretty impressive once the model is up to speed. nailed the 3rd landing, and man, it just settles amazingly soft. over all impressions are that i LOVE it! easy to fly, tracks on rails, slow landings, looks great in the air, and performs great too. i even put her in some full power diving speed aproaches, no sign of flutter. again, im using the stock hinges. just lots of glue. im one happy camper! cant wait to fly it at LA jets new week. thinking of doing some panel lines, and a small amount of weathering or i might just leave it. i love it!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old May 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,049 Posts
Wow! What a beauty. I knew it would be of course.

I can hear the chant now.

Vi-Dee-Ooh`!!!!......Vi-Dee-Ooh`!!!!....Vi-Dee-Ooh`!!!!!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
CN
love the Navy scheme...man that thing looks awesome ....great job!! now get back out there and get some video!!

glad to see its working with the stock elev and hinges but I would also like to know if your stab has full length wood in the trailing edge for hinge points or is it seperate blocks like mine and do you remember if your elevator felt abnormally heavy? I am not so worried with the design of the elev as I am the mass of my elev it is very heavy, I plan on weighing it and reporting back but I would bet its much heavier then the entire stab. with the two snipers that we will be flying they are both going to get TJ90 10s setups running 4kw so these things are going to be more critical for us.
thanks Brent

John
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd