SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:31 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Do you think the HS82's will work? Do u think the extra 20% is needed on all those flying surfaces? I'll probably try the Ds's anyway though, just curious
Both Hyperion and Hitech make excellent servos!
The difference between the 82/85 and the DS13 is almost to the point of splitting hairs... in my humble opinion, here's why I trust Hyperions over the 82/85's:

--- Performance is at least on par (if not exceeding) the comparable Hitech.
--- Cost is not much more, and they are true digital servos.
--- Centering is unrivaled, as is dynamic and holding torque.
--- They're completely programmable for direction, speed, neutral point, deadband, etc. either on your PC or E-Meter

I must say that I have a tendency to go overkill rather than wish I had an extra 20% on my control surfaces... they're kind of critical ya know...

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:47 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Stockholm
Joined Jun 2005
84 Posts
You can also try the fully digital and programmable Hitec HS-5085MG.
60oz/in. holding power.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/dig...hs-5085mg.html

I am using them on my Jet Teng Viper that is on the build table right now.
mce73 is offline Find More Posts by mce73
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:52 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,297 Posts
Yes, that is more of a direct comparison to the DS13 than the HS82/85 series... however they also go for $41.99 here in the US.
At that rate, the Hyperions are a tried and true overkill solution for less.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:54 PM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
229 Posts
Thanks Tumbler.. Hey have you tried Hyperion servos? The specs are amazing. It's smaller/lighter/stronger!
I have a general question also. Comming from a 40%, & turbine background, I am programmed to use best quality, heavy servo extensions, but on my 1st/last electric venture (Sapac L39), After finishing it, I realized how much weight I could have saved by going with lighter gauge wire & making my own exact length extensions.. Any thoughts?.. What do you electric guys do?
Brickyard is offline Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:17 PM
Callsign blocked
Joined Dec 2008
229 Posts
Thanks guys, missed the other servo comments.. I'm thinking Hyperion for me.. Had the 5085's, they are great
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:47 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,297 Posts
Center Sections Glassed!

Worked up the Center Sections today!
Although not *necessary*, I applied a layer of 2.5" fiberglass cloth to the Top/Bottom of our Wings... we don't plan on being too nice with our Snipers...

Taking your time is the key here; use good quality everything --- Glass, Epoxy, Sharp Scissors, etc. Just finished blending them after letting the epoxy fully cure. The result is a very-near seamless glass job and a super-strong Center Section! These are going to look way awesome after paint!

Vic
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:57 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,049 Posts
I have not used them yet. I came from 33 and 35% 3d stuff and have had a turbine and now fly mostly 100mm+ EDF's stuff now. I now find there is really no need for going overkill like I did with 3D. The surfaces on these jets are a fraction of the size and move a fraction of the distance. Here is my 52" EDF doing 170+ weighing in at a porky14lbs with nothing but Futaba s 3102 mini servos....all analog...no digitals. Just shows you don't need the best of the best to fly well. Linkage geometry is what matters most.

101 0486 (5 min 10 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Thanks Tumbler.. Hey have you tried Hyperion servos? The specs are amazing. It's smaller/lighter/stronger!
I have a general question also. Comming from a 40%, & turbine background, I am programmed to use best quality, heavy servo extensions, but on my 1st/last electric venture (Sapac L39), After finishing it, I realized how much weight I could have saved by going with lighter gauge wire & making my own exact length extensions.. Any thoughts?.. What do you electric guys do?
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,455 Posts
cool mod on the wing tape. ill be doing the same...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:02 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,297 Posts
Not only does it provide some extra beef, but it'll help asthetically too... one piece wing!!!
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:55 PM
Callsign blocked
Joined Dec 2008
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I have not used them yet. I came from 33 and 35% 3d stuff and have had a turbine and now fly mostly 100mm+ EDF's stuff now. I now find there is really no need for going overkill like I did with 3D. The surfaces on these jets are a fraction of the size and move a fraction of the distance. Here is my 52" EDF doing 170+ weighing in at a porky14lbs with nothing but Futaba s 3102 mini servos....all analog...no digitals. Just shows you don't need the best of the best to fly well. Linkage geometry is what matters most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEok7hq4g1w
Ok cool, I seen you fly that at the "BigApple Ralley" (I was announcing it), Nice video!.. You can almost see the inertia behind that thing as it goes vertical. I pulled the trigger with this new Het. I'm expecting it to be a real WINNER
Last edited by Brickyard; Mar 07, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:32 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,662 Posts
The Hyperion ATLAS are really nice servos, I use them in a lot of the bigger jets, but I did have an issue with the pair of DS13 TMB's on the flaps of my JTM Hawk, the gear trains went all sloppy and had about 5mm play at the flap, dunno why as all the others I have used were ok and have not had one back from a customer yet.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:40 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,049 Posts
LOL Great I was just about to order them for ailerons to replace JR 168's that have developed slop in the gear train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
The Hyperion ATLAS are really nice servos, I use them in a lot of the bigger jets, but I did have an issue with the pair of DS13 TMB's on the flaps of my JTM Hawk, the gear trains went all sloppy and had about 5mm play at the flap, dunno why as all the others I have used were ok and have not had one back from a customer yet.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,662 Posts
I cant explain it, I got gearsets ready to put in but they are glued into the frames, not easy to remove. The aileron ones are fine, there is a tiny bit a lash in all these MG servos, and I did notice when they changed box style the later productions were tighter again, might have been an issue with the early versions.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:21 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,049 Posts
Yeah seems like a lot of MG servos are like that. Just a little play develops and then it translates into huge play at the surface. A lot of times with flaps I can deal with it because you can position the arm so that it is inline with the linkage in the neutral position. For everything else they become useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
I cant explain it, I got gearsets ready to put in but they are glued into the frames, not easy to remove. The aileron ones are fine, there is a tiny bit a lash in all these MG servos, and I did notice when they changed box style the later productions were tighter again, might have been an issue with the early versions.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:16 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,552 Posts
Enough space for a gas burner.

To help answer the questions coming in on the space for the small Turbines, here is a few pictures.

--RW
Robert Wagoner is offline Find More Posts by Robert Wagoner
Site Sponsor