so when do they ship....and are you done yet? LOL
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:23 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
I'm not gonna say anything just to keep you anxious now

And no not done yet. Steve's been battling some stomach flu and I've been pretty busy myself. Small progress, but nothing major. Been working on the Sniper Assembly Manual more than anything.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:50 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
what is this, the eflite F-4 thread? we need updates man! LOL
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:13 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts

The sickness is making it's rounds here in AZ.
Steve is just now getting over it and I think I picked something up from the girlfriend... still managed to install servos in two Sniper Wings though. Next up is to sand down and glass the top/bottom of the Center Section. Not *required* if you're just going to be sport flying, but I strongly recommend glassing the center section if you're intending to do repeated High-G manuevers. Most Pilots I know flying high performance stuff do this regardless of the model.

Vic
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:24 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,126 Posts
Vic,

Looks like you screwed the servos to the plywood base and then glued the ply to the wing. is that right. How would you get the servos out if you had to?

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post

Steve is just now getting over it and I think I picked something up from the girlfriend... still managed to install servos in two Sniper Wings though. Next up is to sand down and glass the top/bottom of the Center Section. Not *required* if you're just going to be sport flying, but I strongly recommend glassing the center section if you're intending to do repeated High-G manuevers. Most Pilots I know flying high performance stuff do this regardless of the model.

Vic
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Vic,

Looks like you screwed the servos to the plywood base and then glued the ply to the wing. is that right. How would you get the servos out if you had to?

Brian
Correct.
Usually if *I* need to pull a servo... I've got bigger problems on my hands!
Plus, these Hyperion Digitals are all completely programmable through the servo leads. Of course I center them up before installing, but I can literally adjust anything I need to using Hyperion's computer software (plug in servo through USB adapter) or Hyperion E-Meter.
No, I've never had a Hyperion servo fail on me over many many years.
Yes, I have that much confidence in the gear I run!

There's ways to provide methods of removing your servo, but I like this approach. Tried and true on several models now.

Vic
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:54 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,014 Posts
Penicillin works wonders my man now get back to building. All kidding aside, you still think your going to have it done for the Jet Rally?

Ralph

Quote:

I think I picked something up from the girlfriend..

Vic
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
Penicillin works wonders my man now get back to building. All kidding aside, you still think your going to have it done for the Jet Rally?

Ralph
Absolutely.
Getting at least one of these in the air will be no problem, I have multiple free days this coming week. Let's hope I'm there and not here heaving my guts out!

Vic
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:00 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,126 Posts
I gotcha. Just trying to help guys prevent a future problem. I just don't like permanent installs just in case. If anything, I glue them to balsa so then can be broken out, but even then its going to probabaly indent the top wing skin. I know I have had many times where minor incidents stripped a servo or broke and arm and had to be replaced......gear collapsed or failed to come down and had to belly land and stripped a servo for example. Heck I have even put a servo in and forgot to center it and needed to remove the servo so I could take the arm off and put it back on. My buddy just had a flap servo fail on his Kingcat fail for no reason and had to replace and my other buddy ran off the end up the runway by only a few feet, but the tall grass caught the aileron horn on his Electra and stripped the aileron servo.

If I can't moutn them to the servo cover, I like to use servos with specific wing mounts or moutn them like this.

Quote:
Correct.
Usually if *I* need to pull a servo... I've got bigger problems on my hands!
Plus, these Hyperion Digitals are all completely programmable through the servo leads. Of course I center them up before installing, but I can literally adjust anything I need to using Hyperion's computer software (plug in servo through USB adapter) or Hyperion E-Meter.
No, I've never had a Hyperion servo fail on me over many many years.
Yes, I have that much confidence in the gear I run!

There's ways to provide methods of removing your servo, but I like this approach. Tried and true on several models now.

Vic
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
dang! looking sweet vic! you know, posting pics isnt helping us lol! just making it worse!
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:42 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
If I can't moutn them to the servo cover, I like to use servos with specific wing mounts or moutn them like this.
I feel ya!
I'm using DS13-TMB's (same size as Hitech 82MG's), so I have to offset them from the stock servo bay just a few mm's. If you use a thinner Wing Servo, there would be plenty of room to drop a plywood floor and bolt them straight down, or even onto the servo cover (I do that on alot of big warbirds).

Nice work on the Blaze, BTW. Been keeping an eye on that one too!

Vic
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
485 Posts
If I can follow-up on the servo mounting question... I sometimes wrap a aileron servo in blue painters tape and use epoxy to glue it to the underside of the wing. Then if I need to remove it, I can simply peel or cut back the tape... then tear out the tape and install a new servo in the same spot. Does this seem to risky to anyone? or maybe that's only okay in lower torque situations (eg, 70mm jets)? Any thoughts?

The suspense is kill'n us Vic :-)
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:32 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,303 Posts
Yeah, removing the servo from the Wing is pretty easy if you just wrap/glue it in.
I did that on the Prototype... worked okay, but considering I'm building these two to fly hard and for a long time (hopefully) I figured I better go *overkill*

Vic
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
Sniper

Vic,
I have been waiting for a decent priced /sized sports model for a while and watching your build closely, i am a bit disapointed that after going to the effort to mould a wing Het do it in two parts ? why not a one piece like the Spark ? two parts is going to be heavier ?.does it have a belly pan/ wing fairing to cover the joint ?? in order to keep it neat and tidy,
cheers Euan.
egall232 is offline Find More Posts by egall232
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:09 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
soooo......did they ship yet lol...