HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:08 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,043 Posts
I am sure the biggest questions people have are how much will it cost and when will it be available? I am just hoping they put the mains farther apart than the Sniper 90. On a grass runway, the narrow gear made it very hard to keep straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Well now that the secret's out...

A.) Yes, the intakes are a little large for a 90mm, but I'm still aiming realistically for about 150+mph on the stock HET 9305V2 fan and Typhoon 700 series motors.

B.) Yes it is sweet! Sorry for keeping it on the DL... but sometimes we have to wait for the *OK* from the factory before letting these puppies off the chain!

Sniper is complete, just waiting for a good day to maiden. Then I'll start posting a build thread here! Any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Vic
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:20 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I am sure the biggest questions people have are how much will it cost and when will it be available? I am just hoping they put the mains farther apart than the Sniper 90. On a grass runway, the narrow gear made it very hard to keep straight.

Also, the mains on theSniper 90 are too far forward. It`s hard to keep the nose wheel down on the takeoff roll. And if you move the cg forward, then it`s noseheavy. That`s a pretty simple thing to get right. Figure out where it needs to ballance, then put the mains an inch or so behind that point.

That may have been some of your tracking issues too Brian. I couldn`t keep mine straight on a smooth runway.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
W sniper ???

Well,
I hope its better thought out than the last Sniper 90 mm and stays together ?? we have been missing a decent reasonably priced 90 mm sports jet .
Can i ask compared to the old one is it bigger ?? more space for batts and made out of epoxy not crappy polyester ,
cheers Euan.
egall232 is online now Find More Posts by egall232
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:29 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,043 Posts
We probabaly shouldn't let this turn into one of those threads where we bash the plane before it's even out. Let's just hope they learned from the Sniper 90's weak points and improved them.

Based on the issues I had with my Sniper 90 I hope they:

1. Make the fuse wide enough between the intakes for large packs.
2. Make it possible to CG without having to move the fan back or use small 3000mah packs. I see they are calling for 4200 packs, but as you know the high powered setups need 5000 packs.
3. Make the gear stance wider and as LEE mentioned, move the gear farther behind the CG
4. Make sure the tail is up to 150+mph speeds and high G turns.

Brian
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Looks great, can't wait! and screw the HK viper now!!!!
lightningmcnul is offline Find More Posts by lightningmcnul
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,635 Posts
This plane is soooo close to looking real good. Too bad they didn't integrate the wing and especially the horizontal stab into the fuse better on this version. The stab still looks like they ran out of time so just stuck it on the bottom of the fuse.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:34 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Whats the chance of fitting larger than a 90mm in this plane?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:08 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,295 Posts
Sneak Peak Pics for fellow RCG'ers

Here's some more sneak peak pics for you guys!

I'm really liking the way this thing went together. Lots of room to work in/around it, and the fit of these parts is probably the best I've seen yet.

Fitting a 100mm fan in this thing could definitely be possible (of course you'd have to re-work the intake a little); the only setback I see on this one is fitting enough packs to feed a 100mm fan. The biggest faux-pas on this bird is room for packs. I can barely squeeze 12s 5000's in the nose...
However, the stock setup on 10s 4200's fits fine, and so do 12s 4200's.
I'll be using the same setup I'm running in my HET 90mm L-39; 10s 4200mah. This gives me about 3.5kw and ~10lbs. thrust --- The L-39 is clocked consistently at 130+mph, so I'm betting this MUCH cleaner airframe will yield about 150mph! We'll just have to wait to see how she does on the maiden.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:20 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
I'm thinking 110mm maybe a stumax!! where is the fan is it under the wing or way in the back like the L39?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:37 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I think this is a great improvement to the origional. However it would have been fun to have some imput to the changes, like the inlets and the battery compartment. Waiting on price.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:22 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,216 Posts
Not only fun but it would have been a smart business move on HETs part to get some input from their customers. They could always choose not to follow the advice, but it would have been productive to at least ask.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:13 AM
USA, UT, Springville
Joined Dec 2005
1,877 Posts
Would be nice to see what other color schemes will be available.
therealhiphop is offline Find More Posts by therealhiphop
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
What's the wing area?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,043 Posts
Just remember the opening in the back can only be opened up so much regardless of how big of a fan that can fit in the fuse. The exhaust cone is very short so it will start to look goofy trimmed all the way to the rudder. the way the intake is set up, they didn;t make it easy to use a larger fan either. You would have to move the fan back so you have room to make an inlet adapter to step uo from a 90 to 100mm+.

It's "ok" looking in my opinion. If it's priced where the L-39 is, then its a good deal. As someone said the stab and even the wing look like they are just sort of slapped on the bottom which I don;t like. I wish they took the time to mold them into the fuse better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcnul View Post
I'm thinking 110mm maybe a stumax!! where is the fan is it under the wing or way in the back like the L39?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:26 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I'm hoping that because they didn't really do much development compared to a whole new model that it will be less than the L-39. It looks like they simply scaled up the old sniper and made it a composite wing with flaps. I'm thinking $250-$300.