HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Fan access is always a plus!
I'm using a ICE2 HV120 good to 12S.
I have 4 5S 4500 packs (Zippy compacts) for now, I may try some 6000s like Brent uses, they're almost exactly the same size as his 5000s, no more than 1-2 ounces heavier.
Did I get you mixed up with someone else? who did the intake mods w/ splitter plates?
I just checked...my bad it was Michael Paxton...
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:53 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,106 Posts
well see vic. id like to make it to AEF, but i cant make any promisses at this point.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:55 PM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
917 Posts
my elevator servo setup. its tall enough that i can get to the screws and remove servos if needed. i epoxied it to the bottom in the dip just in front of the stab.
pulsar110 is online now Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Dec 2010
31 Posts
Stabilizer mod

Hi everybody, I’ve being working on my super sniper XL since I bought it. Little by little doing something here and there. The color change, wasn’t my idea and wasn’t done by me; I bought the plane from a friend and he did it, is not painted is a really thin matte black vinyl layer over the original blue color, and sees the difference. Look better right?... It’s like the Spektrum version… He add the pilot too. The big dilemma with the elevator… Bad design? I don’t know but mine didn’t have wood where the hinge slots were so I decided to modify that, I add a solid piece of balsa through the whole stabilizer. I showed that to a friend who is a pilot of real jets and I told to him about the flutter issue and when he saw the Sniper his opinion was that the wing somehow was causing a possible turbulence on the stabilizer and he told me to try an experimental stabilizer with this SS XL. His idea was to give some angle to the original stabilizer (angle up or angle down) but trying to make it in a different position, so I did this mod I split the stabilizer and elevator, in the pictures you can see the results. I was really careful not changing the profile of the stab or affecting the incidence in any way. I’m using Robart hinges and I’m going to add a servo to each elevator. There is a lot of work to do but I think this is going to work. My set up is: Stumax fan, HET 700-68-1400kv 8S 5000mah with castle esc 120hv. Hitec servos 82mg all over. And I don’t know yet about the retracts but probably I’ll go for the ones made for it. I'll be posting more soon.
LOLO77 is offline Find More Posts by LOLO77
Last edited by LOLO77; Nov 09, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
guys what's the estimated top speed at 4000watts??

got a stumax on 10s and the HET 700-68-1200 motor that I would like to use
EDForever is offline Find More Posts by EDForever
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,106 Posts
140~145ish
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:35 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
140~145ish
Ehhhh... I got a shade more on my 12s bird... 145-150ish on 4kw.

It will easily push through 160-165mph out of a dive.
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:56 PM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
917 Posts
Hey Vic the numbers you put in the manual for throws, is that the travel for each dissection or total travel?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:01 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,281 Posts
Without looking right at it, I'm pretty sure it's deflection.

So Elevator 1" UP/DOWN would mean --- 1" Up travel and 1" Down travel... just as an example.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
917 Posts
That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:11 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,281 Posts
Also I might add that these numbers are for the Original Elevator setup... use them as a guideline if you're flying the new Split Elevator, though you may need to adjust (as necessary).
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:58 PM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
917 Posts
It is the new elevator. I'll dial things back a little and go from there.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Cool mod LOL007!
I like the downward rake of the ele.
Let us know how it works.

But I am gonna have to report you for excessive creativity!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:36 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLO77 View Post
Hi everybody, Iíve being working on my super sniper XL since I bought it. Little by little doing something here and there. The color change, wasnít my idea and wasnít done by me; I bought the plane from a friend and he did it, is not painted is a really thin matte black vinyl layer over the original blue color, and sees the difference. Look better right?... Itís like the Spektrum versionÖ He add the pilot too. The big dilemma with the elevatorÖ Bad design? I donít know but mine didnít have wood where the hinge slots were so I decided to modify that, I add a solid piece of balsa through the whole stabilizer. I showed that to a friend who is a pilot of real jets and I told to him about the flutter issue and when he saw the Sniper his opinion was that the wing somehow was causing a possible turbulence on the stabilizer and he told me to try an experimental stabilizer with this SS XL. His idea was to give some angle to the original stabilizer (angle up or angle down) but trying to make it in a different position, so I did this mod I split the stabilizer and elevator, in the pictures you can see the results. I was really careful not changing the profile of the stab or affecting the incidence in any way. Iím using Robart hinges and Iím going to ad

d a servo to each elevator. There is a lot of work to do but I think this is going to work. My set up is: Stumax fan, HET 700-68-1400kv 8S 5000mah with castle esc 120hv. Hitec servos 82mg all over. And I donít know yet about the retracts but probably Iíll go for the ones made for it. I'll be posting more soon.
I like the color change and your stab mod. Looks real good.

Just a heads up..... what you have is the original style elevator design not the new one. You need to be wary of that design, even with your mods. The larger cord of the elevators at the tip is a major contributor to the flutter issue.

Add power and speed carefully. When the flutter comes, there is no warning, and in a couple of seconds you are in the dirt.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I'm hoping the dual ele servos and rake change, and wood added will be sufficient for his mods to work.
Gotta remember...CN still flying his with no issues!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton