Good job! Glad to see it come to light
Brickyard is online now Find More Posts by Brickyard
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:09 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,233 Posts
its been 2 months since ive flown my sniper. i put 6 flights on it today, the last of which i did 6 or 7 touch and goes. it flew awesome. i fly at 4500 ft ASL and my field is only 400 ft long. takeoff is a non issue, its off in less than 200 ft with full flap takeoffs. it dead calm air, with density alt of about 7000 ft, its a little bit of a stretch on landing and beeing able to stop with only 250 ft left of runway after touch down, but once the breeze pics up, its stopped by about 300 ft, and its much easier to land with a little breeze on our small field. the plane just tracks so nice, even at lower speeds. i was doing low passes with half flap, at about 1 ft off the ground. was a great day flying. flight times were 5-5.5min with 20% left in the packs. it really moves out with a shallow dive to get it going. vertical is pretty awesome, even at our altitude, especially for just a 8s setup.

i think at some point im going to build my own wing and stab and take a good pound off the model. maybe build in some washout. i had a couple tip stalls right before touch down a couple of times because i was flaring with full up trying to get it to land really slow. ill probably do bigger flaps too. its such a nice flying model, ill proably use the stock airfoils though. but, it will be a while before i do all that work. for now, ill just enjoy as is.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:49 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,581 Posts
Maybe some wing fences would help with the low speed characteristics.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:59 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Maybe some wing fences would help with the low speed characteristics.
Maybe but in Brent's case we're talking about extreme slow speeds!

Even on my 12s bird, touchdown w/ full flaps on calm wind days was around 25-30mph. Should be manageable for anyone flying a bird this size

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:31 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,979 Posts
Rain

I wanted to go maiden mine today, but it started raining at the field Al, did you ever get a replacement canopy?

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:53 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,233 Posts
yeah tip stalls were happening around 20 mph at 7000ft altitude density. anything above that its rock steady
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
Hey Robert I responsed to your Private Meassage . Thanks for the follow up.....
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:55 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Yes Ralph, Thanks for your offer. Robert had it to me direct from HET in a couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
I wanted to go maiden mine today, but it started raining at the field Al, did you ever get a replacement canopy?

Ralph
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:21 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,058 Posts
any more photos or videos of this baby floating around?
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:36 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,979 Posts
Fotos?

What kind of pictures do you want? I have not flown mine yet, so no in-flight pictures. You would think I am in the UK right now, summertime and rain for the third day in a row

Here are some internal pictures that Mike asked me for last night. A little messy, but I've done worse This are all the photos I have on my phone here at work, I can take some more tonight.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00 View Post
any more photos or videos of this baby floating around?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:28 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Nice work Ralph
now lets get some flight vid and get this thread going again, new stabs are here and I would think the SSXL should become available soon
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:53 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
man .. is that a T-Plug on the ESC input :O

???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:41 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
What kind of pictures do you want? I have not flown mine yet, so no in-flight pictures. You would think I am in the UK right now, summertime and rain for the third day in a row

Here are some internal pictures that Mike asked me for last night. A little messy, but I've done worse This are all the photos I have on my phone here at work, I can take some more tonight.

Ralph
Hey Ralph,
Looking good to me, thanks for posting them! Looks like you changed out the rear wing screws, the way they are installed is a joke. They put blind nuts on a small round piece of plywood, it only takes a little pressure to pop them off the fuselage I changed all 4 of them out to 6/32, no more metric screws! I am toying with the nose gear door as we speak, I just hate that big cut out for the retract, I just ordered some spring loaded hinges. I am hoping to get it ready for Sunday, even if I don't make it I want to see yours fly, I can do the video if you like
Mike
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,979 Posts
Wing Mount

I put a piece of wood along the bottom, of the plane and mounted the blind nuts for it, I will repost a picture of it later tonight. All hardware was changed, not because there was anything wrong with it, BUT If I lose a wing bolt, I like to be able to walk into any hardware store and pick put spares, YES, those are 6/32 .

@Pavcon, It's single Deans plug with two deans on the other side to plug in two batteries, we refer (OK, me) to a "Y" connector.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Hey Ralph,
Looking good to me, thanks for posting them! Looks like you changed out the rear wing screws, the way they are installed is a joke. They put blind nuts on a small round piece of plywood, it only takes a little pressure to pop them off the fuselage I changed all 4 of them out to 6/32, no more metric screws! I am toying with the nose gear door as we speak, I just hate that big cut out for the retract, I just ordered some spring loaded hinges. I am hoping to get it ready for Sunday, even if I don't make it I want to see yours fly, I can do the video if you like
Mike
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:32 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,979 Posts
More Pics

Mike, Here is the picture of the Wing mounts, I removed the ones in the front of the plane so I can put off the (local) shelf hardware.

Ralph