AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:56 AM
Fret for your pilot...
Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
377 Posts
Slop

Hey guys. Am I the only one that has a little "slop" in the nose gear? It does lock into place but seems to have a lot of play.
Also, every time I tighten the set screw that goes through the linkage arm it locks the steering up. When I loosen it everyting works fine- except the loose set screw? Does any of this sound familiar?
outkast1779 is offline Find More Posts by outkast1779
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:02 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,234 Posts
Yep, you are the only one. Sorry, you must have screwed up.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
Fret for your pilot...
Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Yep, you are the only one. Sorry, you must have screwed up.
Awesome, very insightful and surely a piece of advice that will help me and many others 100% in coming up with a viable solution. I applaud you for your keen observations in this matter.

Anyway, I did not put this kit together personally. I'm going through it and making sure its airworthy as it was purchased 90% assembled.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,234 Posts
Well, then the other guy screwed up. So, since you got the plane now, just fix it, replace the nose gear. This seems simple, do you need someone to hold your hand?

Notice that nobody else posted, want to know why? Nobody knows what the heck you are talking about.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:53 AM
Fret for your pilot...
Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Well, then the other guy screwed up. So, since you got the plane now, just fix it, replace the nose gear. This seems simple, do you need someone to hold your hand?

Notice that nobody else posted, want to know why? Nobody knows what the heck you are talking about.
Ok, let me be the first to respond without sounding like a jackass.
It's clearly obvious that I've not dealt with this particular brand nose gear before. I was looking for affirmation that there may be some very slight left to right play in this particular component. I've seen on occasion where this was acceptable, I wasn't sure if this was the case here.
It seems my two questions were quite clear but all you wanted to do was leave a ridiculous response instead of helping. It seems like the silence was much better since we're now both wasting time on something trivial.
You mention it seems simple, sure replace the whole gear. My intent is clearly set on trying to FIX the issue instead of replacing the whole thing.
The witty remark about needing someone to hold my hand...I'm deeply dissapointed that you take solace in talking down on people. I have not ONCE disrespected anyone on this forum as such.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,971 Posts
Cooling Hole

OK AL, Settle down, LOL. Did you get a canopy ordered yet? I decided to put in three cooling holes in my Sniper Last Night. Two for the batteries and one for the ESC. I got the ones for the batteries done (one on each side of the plane).

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,971 Posts
Flat SPot

Have you checked to see if the Pin/Rod has a flat spot? Those wheel collar type control arms for steering are easy to strip if you tighten it too hard. Hence the play. It's best to have a small flat spot right where the screw tightens, I been known to miss the correct area and make two flat spot to correct the problems. I have not tried to replicate what you say that too tight and it does not Turn any more. I will try to check tonight,

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast1779 View Post
Ok, let me be the first to respond without sounding like a jackass.
It's clearly obvious that I've not dealt with this particular brand nose gear before. I was looking for affirmation that there may be some very slight left to right play in this particular component. I've seen on occasion where this was acceptable, I wasn't sure if this was the case here.
It seems my two questions were quite clear but all you wanted to do was leave a ridiculous response instead of helping. It seems like the silence was much better since we're now both wasting time on something trivial.
You mention it seems simple, sure replace the whole gear. My intent is clearly set on trying to FIX the issue instead of replacing the whole thing.
The witty remark about needing someone to hold my hand...I'm deeply dissapointed that you take solace in talking down on people. I have not ONCE disrespected anyone on this forum as such.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,234 Posts
OMG,

Just post a picture, I don't even remember getting fixed gear in this kit.

Do you see what I mean? What gear do you have? Start there. Your question doesn't make sense, as there are no two planes alike, we all do our own thing when it comes to the assembly and procurement of after market parts.

Ralph...Yes it was ordered immediately after I lost it.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 AM
Fret for your pilot...
Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
Have you checked to see if the Pin/Rod has a flat spot? Those wheel collar type control arms for steering are easy to strip if you tighten it too hard. Hence the play. It's best to have a small flat spot right where the screw tightens, I been known to miss the correct area and make two flat spot to correct the problems. I have not tried to replicate what you say that too tight and it does not Turn any more. I will try to check tonight,

Ralph
Hey Ralph. Yes, the screw has a flat spot, but I'm afraid it's set too low. I believe this is why the wheel won't turn after I tighten it completely. Seems like as the set screw pushes up against the flat spot it slides the bolt up just enough to tighten the whole mechanism. I'll try to flatten it more tonight.

SCALEFAN- I'm speaking of the retracts that are recommended by HET to go with the kit. Do you know of any that fit this jet nicely? I wouldn't mind electric...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,971 Posts
Cooling Hole

So, I was waiting for AL to give me crap about my cooling holes, but he didn't Bite, AL, here is the completed Pictures.

Ralph
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,251 Posts
I *seriously* almost said something, then thought to myself, "Naaah! Ralph knows better!"

Looking good bud
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
Fret for your pilot...
Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
So, I was waiting for AL to give me crap about my cooling holes, but he didn't Bite, AL, here is the completed Pictures.

Ralph
I ended up putting the hole a little ways in the duct where they're not visible. They are probably 1/2" or so circumference. Should blow air right over the ESC...I hope
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast1779 View Post
I ended up putting the hole a little ways in the duct where they're not visible. They are probably 1/2" or so circumference. Should blow air right over the ESC...I hope
ya it wont blow in the duct, it will suck air from the fuse, their is a vacuum in the intake ducts
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Fret for your pilot...
Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
ya it wont blow in the duct, it will suck air from the fuse, their is a vacuum in the intake ducts
Hmm, now I'm wondering if the ESC is in front of or behind that hole. Should get more airflow if it's in front towards the nose shouldn't it? Or does it even really matter much?