HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:01 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I've got a sorta good shell to work on for the coming winter. That's about it. Maybe the new elevator will be out before then..
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:01 PM
Colorado Springs, Co
Joined May 2002
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50 View Post
I<SNIP> Also, the magnets only on the canopy for a jet that could go over 150MPH??
The instructions do recommend a latch of sorts as the magnets are not enough.
I like the Jet Hangar variety, BVM also makes excellent latches.
Greg
gbmoore is offline Find More Posts by gbmoore
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
ARF-ARI Almost Ready to Fly-After you Redesign It.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
lmfao!!!! but that is a lot of the fun sometimes
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Agreed. I just keep running into every little bit of "Oh....Well that's not gonna work..."
Had 3 days off recently. Managed to get new hinges installed in the flaps, and figure out the servo placement and linkages for the wings.......I should have had the thing built by today!!
But instead I'm sifting thru drawers of parts trying to find stuff that will work.
Not to mention the extra money I spent to have it sent here fast......Could have walked/swam to Hong Kong and picked it up in person and been no worse off build wise.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Oh you guys are young and spoiled. It was just a few years ago that most kits not only needed the re-design, but they were not even engineered for anything electric.

I won't bother to go into how we had to walk miles through the snow to get to school stories. But man, these ARFs are so easy to build, modify, and get into good flying condition. God forbid that assembly should tax our brains.

I don't even do build threads anymore because the assembly and modification of ARFs is so beginner as far as the hobby goes. If you can't do it, then just be the test pilot.

I used to love the build much more than flying, but now it's baby stuff when you consider the improvements, the parts, the landing gear etc. The flying is simply verification of the build.

You know what I do when I get a new ARF? I open the box, unpack it, and make a decision as to whether the plane is worth adding servos, motor and electronics to it. If the answer is NO, it might go directly into the big trash pail. Why waste time on building junk. I give lots of planes away rather than put money into something that I determine is below par.

You each have to make the same decision, but if you keep it, don't complain after.

You guys would have laughed your asses off at some of my build threads. Chit, I spent hours and hours on a giant B25 kit, tons of money on the motors, batts, gear. 1 hour from finish,the freaken thing fell 2 feet off the stand and did major damage. The cheap wood was imitation plywood, soft, fragile, junk. Good thing I found out before flying it. I took a video of me trashing the junker to finish off the build thread. Now I learned to look before building and ask myself the question before moving forward. Is it worth me spending the time and expense? My time is valuable, isn't yours.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Jul 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I admire your mentalism to knwo if something flies ok just from the kit stage
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:58 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
well when you've been flying and building for very long peroids of time you can look at a kit and tell if its good.

hey Al can I be on your plane giveaway list
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
No genius needed to inspect the plane right out of the box, and I never said that I determined in advance how a plane flies. Heck, they all will fly.

My comments only concerned the build. If the plane passes the build test, then we go to step two. What needs to be changed/modified to make it airworthy. (this is personal, we all have different definitions) Is it worth the time and effort? After that, step 3, who is going to shake it down after completion?

Certainly, you don't try to fly the wings off on your maiden flight.

This XL is a cheap plane, so it will need some work to make it the way you want it. Don't bitch, just do it and talk about it. Just like Ralph is doing.

Carry on Ralph.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
No genius needed to inspect the plane right out of the box, and I never said that I determined in advance how a plane flies. Heck, they all will fly.

My comments only concerned the build. If the plane passes the build test, then we go to step two. What needs to be changed/modified to make it airworthy. (this is personal, we all have different definitions) Is it worth the time and effort? After that, step 3, who is going to shake it down after completion?

Certainly, you don't try to fly the wings off on your maiden flight.

This XL is a cheap plane, so it will need some work to make it the way you want it. Don't bitch, just do it and talk about it. Just like Ralph is doing.

Carry on Ralph.
Right On Brother!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
More build

Canopy:

I guess that’s why they improved on the canopy, when I received mine last month, it came with the canopy already cut out and mounted on the frame, plus I also had a spare that came with my kit. Two things to keep in mind are:

1. This is HET biggest Jet, so I think they don’t have the High Speed Experience just yet, they are used to making 70MM Jets. The original Sniper 90MM was not much bigger than a 70MM plane, that’s why I, along with some of you have provided feedback, and I would have to say they are making changes to the plane and incorporating some of those changes already.

2. Most manufacturers in the East make the planes so that fly around, meaning they are able to take off, do the pattern a couple of times and Land, They do not have Victor (AceMigKiller) or other Pilots like him in mind that will push the plane past the 120MPH. I could swear they all think a 90MM plane should fly on 6S.

Anyway, for my piece of mind, my canopy has the hatch latch on the back and will have a Hook/Pin in the front to keep it secure. I didn’t get much done last night, work and real life got in the way. I only glued in the horizontal Stab to the fuselage and added the Dragon decal to the Right hand side. Set the plane on top of the wing to get some inspiration.

@Brent and @Vic
Where did you mount your ESC? Got any pictures?

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50 View Post
I, agree with that. The canopy alone took me around four hours to fiqure it out with out cutting the black lines over the canopy. I had to be very careful about cutting the clear milar, good luck getting a replacement cover. Also, the magnets only on the canopy for a jet that could go over 150MPH??
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Ralph,

You were lucky with that canopy. Mine came with two mold lines, and both were wrong. Thank goodness I was able to get it glued to the frame after I cut it using the inside line..

There is no air running through the fuse, cooling the ESC could be a problem, thus, my ESC is soldered to the motor wires and is inside the thrust tube.

Al
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,279 Posts
ESC Placement

Yo Ralph,
This is how I mounted mine. It's a flat 100amp HV from HET.
It gets four screws into two pieces of wood, the wood pieces are then glued directly to the side of the Fuse right above the trailing edge Wing Mount on the left side.
Cooling is provided by a NACA-type intake from ParkFlyerPlastics.com; always comes down nice and cool.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
USA, TX, The Colony
Joined Dec 2005
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
Yo Ralph,
This is how I mounted mine. It's a flat 100amp HV from HET.
It gets four screws into two pieces of wood, the wood pieces are then glued directly to the side of the Fuse right above the trailing edge Wing Mount on the left side.
Cooling is provided by a NACA-type intake from ParkFlyerPlastics.com; always comes down nice and cool.

Vic
Not sure where your batteries are, but with this ESC placement, do you need to add capacitors if this requires longer battery wire runs?

+1 on the NACAs from ParkFlyerPlastics.
cquian is online now Find More Posts by cquian
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Those scoops look neat, but man, I have experienced some 120A controllers overheat with more air than those scoops will provide. That is why Tam does what he does with his. Ace, are you just gettng ram air or are you letting the fan draw air in?