SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,027 Posts
Yes that's what I thought. The 700 or 800 want it to get up on plan and have good speed but not be crazy . I guess that's where I can start who still sells the 700 I need 2
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:41 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,837 Posts
Graupner 700 BB s are readily available from Harbor and others. Just don't use Graupner mounts if you are now or in the future going to watercool,Theirs does not have room for coils. The 2 ESCs are nice if you get a dual stick xmtr also in case of failure on 1 side you can bring her back on 1.
A pair of old Astroflite 25s would be nice but VERY expensive.

Some info on project X. She will be christened Lukeys Boat. That will tell you something about her.
Bill
sound sailor is online now Find More Posts by sound sailor
Last edited by sound sailor; Dec 31, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
Bill, my last post was meant as a joke, I may have missed the mark though. I'm sure it will come to you eventually. It involves a certain donzi build . And I do agree with the graupner 700's although they still may be small.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined May 2010
2,027 Posts
Hey Kyle I got it that's where I was going leaning towards the 700 and I like the set up Bill has with the duel stick I will have to call harbor and see what is available thanks guys
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:45 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
louie, it may be easier for you to convert a radio than try to find one that is twin stick and self centering. I got a radio for free and dug into it, the right stick (I believe it was throttle in this case) didnt have the self centering feature. I cut a block out of a pvc pipe to mimic the self centering side and dropped it in the slot that was already designated for it. I also needed a VERY small machine screw and a small spring and after about a half hour came up with a twin stick self centering radio. It cost me about 35 cents to make! PS instead of using a pvc pipe use styrene, the pipe was all I had on hand!
Kyle
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:42 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
1,837 Posts
Kyle, don't know that I want self centering on a 2 throttle setup . On mine the side by side throttles are not self centering and you use them the same as on a real one. You can then do one ahead and one reverse for manuevering. Did you think when we were talking 2 stick we meant as opposed to using a pistol grip? We are talking really 3 sticks with 2 being throttle and 1 rudder. Real twin screw operating! I have the Tactic conversion from Harbor Models which is 2.4 but there are older ones also.

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined May 2010
2,027 Posts
yes Kyle the one Bill it talking about is the one im thinking of using but now that i now what you did if i ever need that set up i know it can be done . This is a big boat and the better maneuvering i have is a plus so i don't get hit from others around me. Lets put it this way there are a few guys in the club that need driving lessons so i need to be able to get out of the way as fast as possible and Bills set up will work just fine .
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:59 AM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound sailor View Post
Kyle, don't know that I want self centering on a 2 throttle setup . On mine the side by side throttles are not self centering and you use them the same as on a real one. You can then do one ahead and one reverse for manuevering. Did you think when we were talking 2 stick we meant as opposed to using a pistol grip? We are talking really 3 sticks with 2 being throttle and 1 rudder. Real twin screw operating! I have the Tactic conversion from Harbor Models which is 2.4 but there are older ones also.

Bill
The F14 duel throttle module will fit a a newer Futaba radio I put one in mine
Browndog is online now Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:06 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,112 Posts
I have a HITECH LASER 4 channel system. The left stick on the transmitter was not self centering but ratcheted. I found a conversion set to make the right stick do the same. This gives me trottle control that is ajustable for both motors and I can set a cruise power without having to hold the sticks. It invoves removing a spring and replacing it with a ratcheting clip.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:19 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
Ok, I understand what your saying, I have throttle and steering in the right stick. It is just as easy to make them ratchet, just remove the spring from the left side and make up a small brass or copper section that allows them to ratchet. If you can get one really cheap like for the cost of shipping or even better, free its worth a shot.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined May 2010
2,027 Posts
Looking good John keep up the nice work .

I think it's going to be a nice boat season this year lots of new boats at the pond .
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:59 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
1,837 Posts
Coming along nicely John. we need more lobster boats in the club.

New boats this season?
Oh good maybe that fireboat won't be shooting all that water at us poor boaters!!
Kidding of course Louie.
Guess that means I'll have to come up with something new also.

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2010
2,027 Posts
The fireboat is always there to keep you guy on your toes Bill

Still waiting to see project X I think you will have more then one new boat in the water this coming summer.

Hey Bill what ever happen to the lobster boat hull from main .
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:44 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
1,837 Posts
I sort of dropped it because of the problems communicating with him. The last I had with him was how he wanted to be paid, personal or to the business and I never got an answer. I figured if it was that difficult to work those things out it would be worse getting the hulls. I thought I had told you guys and that I would give you the info (maybe it was John?) if you wanted to pursue it. In the meantime John and I ordered raised foredeck Nova Scotia style lobster hulls from a fellow up there in Nova Scotia.
Miss the pond get togethers already!

Bill