SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2011, 07:46 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Build Log
Twisted Hobbys/RC Factory 32" EPP EDGE-540

Hope you guys are ready because here comes the new Twisted Hobbys / RcFactory 32" EPP EDGE 540 !!! After years in this awesome hobby I have always credited my 3D flying ability to smaller profile EPP aircraft's like this model. The Edge 540 has the "fly anywhere" stigma while keeping true to aerobatic 3D flight characteristics.

When I heard that Twisted Hobbys & RC Factory were going to work together on designing an EPP foamy in this size range I was salivating. Being around EPP and the EPP aircraft industry here in the USA, there are manufacturing and construction methods even I have not seen. Only in the Czek republic can they produce EPP at this level. Twisted Hobbys & RC Factory hit it out of the park with this design.

As soon as you feel this EPP in your hands you will know that this is different from the EPP you are familiar with. It is very rigid, this EPP is entirely wire-cut right down to the hinges. Yes that's right, no more Welders hinge!! RC Factory went the extra distance to also eliminate the carbon fiber trussing that we have become so accustomed to.

The build went extremely easy while only using a few drops of CA on the z-bends I used Welders for the entire build. Approximately half a tube.

This plane can do it all! I have never felt EPP fly as crisp and precise as this. On my maiden flight I did one of the nicest slowest rollers I have ever done. Now to find more time in a day...to go fly.(Day 2) Just ran 10 packs through her and it gets better and better. First thing you notice (using the Twisted Power combo) is how little throttle is needed. My 2s packs felt like 3s at first. With this comes slightly longer flight times. I was easily going 6 1/2 -7 min with my regular 2s 450 packs. I proceeded to run 5 of my packs straight through with no rest and the motor is completely cool to the touch.

So...after my first flights I know I'm Twisted, I'm going to need a spare. Hats off to Twisted Hobbys for bringing us this killer package. These models are a no-brainer purchase for the utmost enjoyment you can have in your own backyard.

32" Edge 540

Product Link:http://www.twistedhobbys.com/

Specifications
Wingspan: 0.8m (80cm / 31.49in)
Weight: circa 170g
Motor requirements: 50W 19 - 30g
Brushless ESC: 10-12A
Servos: 2x 5g (rudder, elevator)
1x 9g (ailerons)
Li-PO battery: 450mAh 2s 7.4v

Kit Contents
1 - left & right wings w/attached ailerons
1 - main fuselage w/attached rudder
1 - elevator w/attached control surface
1 - horizontal nose section
1 – horizontal fuselage section
2 – side stiffener strips (trusses)
2 – side force generators
1 - wood main spar
2 – aileron control rods
1 – elevator control rod
1 – rudder control rod
1 – hardware packet (motor mount,z-bends,shrink tubing, adjustable control linkage & wooden control horns and rod guides)
1 – instruction sheet

Twisted Hobbys Power Combo *Optional*

Combo Linkhttp://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Power-...mbo-RCF-32.htm

1 Outrunner CM 26g 1500kv Flange Mount Brushless Motor
1 ESC Sunrise Pro 10A
1 Servo SG91R 9g Micro Servo
2 Servo SG51R 5g Micro Servo
1 Prop Slow Fly 9 x 4.7

For the low entry cost, this power system is the perfect choice for this aircraft. The ESC is plug and go, and together with the out-runner work flawlessly. The included servos have plenty of torque and center very well.

Detailed Instruction Manual

http://TWISTEDHOBBYS.COM/media/540_E...al_hirez-1.pdf
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Last edited by Dan5.0; Nov 05, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 07:51 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Twisted Hobbys EPP Edge540 (4 min 27 sec)

Twisted Hobbys EDGE 540 (5 min 39 sec)

Updates:

Landing Gear, X-Series Brushless Outrunner

Store Link:

LG- http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/RcFact...-32-LG-kit.htm

X-Motor- http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Outrun...2204KV1800.htm
Last edited by Dan5.0; Dec 15, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:57 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Other than construction methods, can you please explain how this plane flies differently from the other twisted planes? That is, why get this if you already have one of the other planes? Not being critical, just asking for info
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:17 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,243 Posts
Awesome build Dan keep up the great work! Glad you got one quickly and its nice to hear your thoughts on the construction with these birds.

It great to have another Edge back in our line up since it has been a few years since our original model release of the Y-Edge. Got to love the flight characteristic of the Edge with its rock solid harriers and hard carving ke loops. We are glad to have worked with RcFactory on this project and to it success you guys are going to love them.

Shipments of pre-orders: Most of all the pre-orders have made their way out but we still have more to ship tomorrow. You guys should start seeing them showing up soon and we look forward to you receiving them.

Enjoy!

Brad
T.H.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:21 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Nice Dan glad your loving this truly awesome airframe. I have also been doing really slow rollers and was amazed how well this flys for a foamy.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:06 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,962 Posts
thanks Dan, This will come in handy when i start my build
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:15 AM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
I should have my Edge here in a few days and it will be my very first build. I am not very skilled building anything because of poor eyesight and snausages for fingers . Would it be possible for someone to provide a link to a tips and tricks page or provide a few good tips and tricks here for a real noob like me? I have been looking forward to a plane like this for a long time and certainly don't want to foul it up.

Thanks.

Mark
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:33 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Anytime Shawn thats what its all about, plus I've been anticipating this kit more than any other so I had tons of fun doing it.

Mark the build is very easy. One of the keys to this kit is that every build should come out as good as the next. The only tips I can think of at the moment are if you're not familiar with using Welders glue. This is a contact adhesive so it works best when you coat both pieces you are trying to join, pull them apart a few times and let sit for a min. or 2 before joining them permanently.
Last edited by Dan5.0; Jan 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:24 AM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Subscribed.

Awesome build Write up Dan

The schemes look sweet , The colors pop more then the other printed epp planes
jamesrini is offline Find More Posts by jamesrini
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:30 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Thanks Dan your thread is very timely. Started the build on one of ours last night using POR, only got as far as joining the back bone, tail and wings and fitting the spar. Its good to have your pics for reference as I was thinking you just stuck the servo's to the surface.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:40 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
So you're about to glue in the Elev. and Aile. servos. I found its easier to not glue the elevator servo just yet, the one laying flat. Getting the servo horn screw in there with it glued in is a pain in the butt.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:54 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
So you're about to glue in the Elev. and Aile. servos. I found its easier to not glue the elevator servo just yet, the one laying flat. Getting the servo horn screw in there with it glued in is a pain in the butt.
Agreed i didnt glue the servo's in until the very end.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:54 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Yep that's where we're at. Do you not get the same problem with the rudder servo then?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:55 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
No the rudder assembly is towards the end of the build, besides it is standing up like the aileron servo, much easier to get to.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:56 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Thanks Kris