SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jonnyspeed, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:59 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Discussion
Love my E-Flite Extra 300

I finally got out ot the field and flew her again last weekend. What a plane. Just so sweet to fly. I am getting 10 minutes out of my 4000 packs and they are only down to 3.7v or so.

At our field we have a LOT of guys flying 25%, 30%, 45% planes. Now I have nothing against big planes (other than being hard to store and transport). But if you listen to a lot of these guys, you would think nothing less than 25% can be flown in the wind. I think a lot of this is a fad personally. A lot of these guys just want to have the biggest plane at the field on a given day. We had about 10-15 mph at 90 degrees crosswind. Not ideal, but not a problem for the little Extra. I was able to fly just as well as they were. In fact I thought it was funny that the one guy with the 30% Cap was practicing torque rolls and he wasn't having much luck. I heard him comment that it was too windy and he was getting blown across the field too fast. So I proceeded to do a couple 3 rotation torque rolls in the same spot on my next flight Boy does she look pretty hanging on the prop like that...

Anyways... I don't know if I'll be able to get any more flights in this season or not. What a horrible year for flying it has been here. Most rain ever this year. Our field was like a sponge even after a week of no rain. Here's hoping next year is a little more friendly.

I don't know what else to say about the E-Flite Extra 300. It is a fantastic plane. I have downsized my hangar and I only intend to keep a few birds due to storage space issues. This plane has definitely earned a spot. It flys so nice and is great to learn new maneuvers on. I only wish I had more stick time on her this year. If you are thinking of buying one, stop thinking and go get it. You won't regret it. I parallel charge 6 packs before I head out the field and that gives me a minimum of 1 hr of flight time. If I'm there on a Sat. morning I can always throw the packs back on the charger and get another hour of flight time. It doesn't get much better than that. Easy, clean, and quiet. Love it.
jonnyspeed is offline Find More Posts by jonnyspeed
Last edited by jonnyspeed; Nov 09, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2005
589 Posts
right idea

with proper wing loading and the correct airfoil even a less than 1 pound airframe can fly in windy conditions. And a four foot + wingspan should be adequate (vision wise) even for old timers (62+ like me) enjoy!!
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:31 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim e View Post
with proper wing loading and the correct airfoil even a less than 1 pound airframe can fly in windy conditions. And a four foot + wingspan should be adequate (vision wise) even for old timers (62+ like me) enjoy!!
I totally agree. I may not be 62+ (37) but I've been flying since the early 80's. Back then .40 size was average, and a .60 size was a big plane. I was always taught that wind=airspeed If you don't fly in the wind in Ohio, you will never fly. I still remember the best RC pilot I have ever seen was a guy that could do things with a 20 size pattern plane that most guys couldn't do with ANY size plane.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 07:15 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
There's a guy at the local field who flies one and it cuts a gorgeous clean line. The only strange thing to me with the plane is that the underside is all white with no patterns. It's nice to have a contrasting pattern on the bottom - especially on overcast days.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:34 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Apr 2006
274 Posts
Read the Fly Rc article on the 300. Looks like a real nice ride. I am not a fan of big planes either. My largest is a 72" Cub,that's the size limit for me. And I rarely fly it because of the hassles associated with setting it up. I don't want to drag a trailer or spend an hour setting up my plane. I agree that even one pound planes that are designed properly can handle high winds.
dhc8guru is offline Find More Posts by dhc8guru
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:28 AM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
There's a guy at the local field who flies one and it cuts a gorgeous clean line. The only strange thing to me with the plane is that the underside is all white with no patterns. It's nice to have a contrasting pattern on the bottom - especially on overcast days.
I agree 7rider. I will be adding something to the underside. It is difficult to see on a cloudy day. It's an easy fix though.