HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:09 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,557 Posts
I'm not the photographer Daryoon is, but since I have a completely stock 9958 here, let me try to field that question.

Net wt. stock 9958 w/o battery is 28.12g
Net wt. stock 9958 w/ battery is 32.92g

@YianPap, I'd just chalk up those differences in specs as "depending who you ask and what you measure" and "lost in translation". The important thing is to get it with the Mode of control that you want for the Tx. My experience with FP has not been good. First of all, they don't let you specify Mode during order. They don't protect their product for shipment. And, they have bad customer service. If I were you, I'd get it from MyRCMart, and not worry about getting a fake.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Nov 16, 2011 at 05:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Hi there, thanks for the answer,

Yes, I've figured that your measurements are the "standard" ones, as of the make you guys actually get over there. As I wrote before, I'll buy it locally, as the shipping costs from the US outlets is about 32$ (20). It would still end up cheaper than if I buy it here actually, but say I want spare parts later that cost little, then I'd have to pay more in shipping cost than the actual items..
Here it costs 50-54 = 78-85$. Yes I know, it's so much more than there but that what happens here in Europe unfortunately...

Anyway, I'm curious to see if it's actually really smaller than yours! If the engine is of the same power and it's 5 grs lighter then that's a good thing no?! I doubt it though but will let you know.
Unfortunately I won't be able to judge its flying abilities yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I'm not the photographer Daryoon is, but since I have a completely stock 9958 here, let me try to field that question.

Net wt. stock 9958 w/o battery is 28.12g
Net wt. stock 9958 w/ battery is 32.92g

@YianPap, I'd just chalk up those differences in specs as "depending who you ask and what you measure" and "lost in translation". The important thing is to get it with the Mode of control that you want for the Tx. My experience with FP has not been good. First of all, they don't let you specify Mode during order. They don't protect their product for shipment. And, they have bad customer service. If I were you, I'd get it from MyRCMart, and not worry about getting a fake.
YianPap is offline Find More Posts by YianPap
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,369 Posts
Just to be clear...MyRCMart is a China based vendor. I would definitely order from there so you can order spare parts at the same time. The spare parts there are the cheapest among the vendors carrying 9958. Plus, they ship relatively fast and my experiences have been good.

I would purchase as soon as possible. As the holiday season is approaching, and air mail will suffer as a result.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:39 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,369 Posts
Because the black version is "known" to be so slow...I decided to give it a overhaul in an attempt to make it faster.

First, I did the EQMOD short arm swashplate mod. The shorten servo arm makes for increase cyclic authority. Servo balls pivots at the same plane as the upper swash hub pivot as described by EQMOD.

I used a 4#3Q swashplate because that's a heli that's been discontinued and I was able to pick up the swashplate for $5-6 from MyRCMart on my last order. I didn't have any metal rods that was the right diameter for the guide pin. So I decided to put a CF rod into my drill, turn it on and used a file to get the CF rod to the right diameter. Be careful, this happens rather quickly. Then I used some 5min epoxy to affix the CF rod into the hole I drilled out. We'll see if it holds. So far so good after putting 5 batteries through it.

Next, I made a new CF main shaft. This time, I moved the two upper holes down 2mm. This compensates for the balls from the Trex100s upper swash hub being about 2mm lower than the 9958 stock hub. Doing it this way means I won't need to extend the swashpin guide. (Note: the photo above already has the swashpin guide extension from a previous mod. This won't be necessary in the future.) We'll see if there are any pros or cons to the head being lowered 2mm.

Lastly, because of the known deficit the black 9958 faces. I waxed all exposed parts and oiled every joint to give it that extra slickness in the air. Hopefully I can keep up with those of you flying the purple 9958.

hehehee

In case you're wondering, that yellow tail boom is my "test" boom. I put heat shrink wrap on the boom to increase strength for test flight of my modded bird. (I tend to crash hardest during test flights) The heat shrink running the entire length of the Bravo SX boom adds .37g to the heli. However, it's a good compromise to save tail boom. Also, along with the Bravo SX tail boom is the Bravo SX tail motor.

Even with the heavier tail assembly, here's the current weight of the heli without battery:

-Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Nov 17, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Thanks for the info daryoon,

I had already placed an order at the local shop here (for what's called E-FLY msp190, but it looks identical to the red 9958)) but they had told me my card was rejected, so I was under the impression that I still had a choice to buy it from somewhere else. But this morning they told me is was fine so...

On the other hand it will arrive tomorrow, so that's a plus!
Might still buy a second one for my sister's little boy so I'll try myRCmart this time. He's only 8 but it's amazing how good they can be with these things.

So it looks like you've been staying up late to optimize that slow thing then
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,557 Posts
Daryoon, that new mod looks AWESOME! Can't wait to hear more about the performance. Pretty sure when you said the heat shrink adds 37g to the heli, you were missing a decimal point some where. Please edit when you get to it. The net weight is still almost 2g under stock. Great job!
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:04 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,369 Posts
hehe. I did miss a decimal point.

What the heck are you doing up so early? Modding and flying I hope. That was my excuse.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
daryoon. an you explain the advantage of the upturned servo arm connection points did you have to unscrew the arm ends to raise them?

is there plastic upper swash riding on alum lower? and how does that hold up?

thanks
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:23 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,369 Posts
wheelspinner20:
Check out the link to EQMOD's post in my original post. He has an explanation, videos and diagram of the reasons for the mod. It's the same idea that many advance blade owners have implemented by cutting their stock swashplate arms to shorten it. To be clear, I did not upturn them. They are installed the way they were meant to installed.

The upper plastic hub does not touch the metal lower swashplate. It rides in the bearing as usual. I have seen mSR owners purchase the expensive microheli swashplate, but only use the lower half. The upper half, they put the original plastic piece in to help save weight.

I think the most difficult part of this operation is getting the hole drilled straight and centered.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:42 PM
Polska, Mazowieckie, Kozienice
Joined Nov 2011
11 Posts
Daryoon:
I want to use microheli swashplate, you think it's posible ???
arkadio is offline Find More Posts by arkadio
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:50 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,369 Posts
arkadio: Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem. If you use the upper swash hub from the 9958, then it'll be a drop in mod.

If not, then you'll need to extend the swash pin guide like I did. The reason for this is your swash is going to be riding higher than before.

You can try making a new main shaft like I did to drop the flybar link balls back the 2-3mm or so.

I think Xtreme System has a swashplate for the mSR with the servo arm shorten.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:18 PM
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
21 Posts
A question regarding the transmitter....

Hello everybody.

I only have the original transmitter that came with the GW 9958.
Everybody knows the the range on this transmitter is VERY limited.
I will be getting Turnigy 9X as soon as I have the funds

In the meantime, I thought if it would help soldering a piece of wire inside the transmitter's RF board (small board with the 'squiggly 'S' as an antenna).
Soldering a 2-3 inch wire at the end of the 'S' and feeding the wire through the empty antenna stub.

Name: GW9958 TX.jpg
Views: 136
Size: 98.1 KB
Description:

I'm thinking if this would help with the range.

Has anyone tried that mod or has any experience in improving the range of the original transmitter ??

P.S. this is officially my first post, I just got my first RC Heli ever.
GW 9985, and I am having a blast with it.
I've just upgraded it today with mCX lower rotor head, mCx lower blades and mSR Mixing-Paddle Flybar.
I skipped the advice to start with 3 ch coax models and started right away with 4 ch fixed pitch and let me tell you it is a pretty rough ride.
I'm getting pretty good in hovering so far

Thank you all for such a nice thread regarding GW 9985 and all the advice and help.
Cupko is offline Find More Posts by Cupko
Last edited by Cupko; Nov 17, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:59 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Not recommended. Wavelength is everything. You must make sure that the new antenna length is 1/4, 1/2 or 1 wavelength.

I wouldn't recommend doing it, but if you're going to do it anyway, make sure to the length you add is 1/4 wavelength (30.7 mm) or 1/2 wavelength (61.4 mm.) Good luck with that, I'm curious as to whether or not it will help. I have a funny feeling the additional length might change the impedance of the antenna, making the problem worse. I'm not a hardware engineer, so I can't be sure.\

daf
dafremen is offline Find More Posts by dafremen
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Hey man,

Just got mine today, haven't even taken it out of the box yet, but the manual says 30-50meters. Wouldn't that be more or less as far as you'll be able to see this tiny thing? Or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupko View Post
Hello everybody.

I only have the original transmitter that came with the GW 9958.
Everybody knows the the range on this transmitter is VERY limited.
I will be getting Turnigy 9X as soon as I have the funds

Last edited by YianPap; Nov 18, 2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: improve
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Any need for rechargeable Tx batteries?

How often do you guys find you have to change your stock transmitter's AA batteries? Does anyone use rechargeable 1.2V ones? Do they work? Can they reduce the range as I read somewhere else here due to the lower voltage? (throwaway AAs are 1.5V)

Thanks!

Yiannis