HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:46 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
But . . . but . . . but . . . Heli Pal promised me the black one is the fastest.

Now I will have the slowest one . . .

Beaten' by a one rotor two motor flying purple people eater. How embarrassing.
It's okay, Gordonzo, blame that on Heli Pal. I'm glad that I'm Heli Pad and not Heli Pal...

Actually, if you don't like your slow purple one. I could offer you this canopy I received from FP today, courtesy of their excellent shipping method. I heard that it makes the fastest right turns.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
I just got the 9958, I also have a walkera 22e, is there anyway using the stock transmitter to change what stick does what? or can the 9958 be linked to my 22e transmiter?

for example, I want to switch the tail rotor control to the right stick and the bank controls to the left stick.
Roger Willco is offline Find More Posts by Roger Willco
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:19 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,242 Posts
Roger: Not without a programmable transmitter.

Currently, we know the 9958 can be bound to the Turnigy 9x and it's equivalent variations. They can also be bound to the transmitter that comes with the Trex 100s.

The Turnigy 9x will make the 9958 fly much better and will also allow you to customize the channel as you wish.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Roger: Not without a programmable transmitter.

Currently, we know the 9958 can be bound to the Turnigy 9x and it's equivalent variations. They can also be bound to the transmitter that comes with the Trex 100s.

The Turnigy 9x will make the 9958 fly much better and will also allow you to customize the channel as you wish.

thank you Daryoon,

I will have to pick up this 9x controler, I wont have to change anything on the heli though right?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,242 Posts
No changes on the heli.

Just follow forum member's JonnyRocket's video on how to do this operation.
turnigy 9x bind to 9958 helicopter. Turnigy menu setup for hk-190 msp190 (2 min 36 sec)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
No changes on the heli.

Just follow forum member's JonnyRocket's video on how to do this operation.

wow, thats a pretty nice controler, do you know if it will work with the walkera 22e?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,242 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Walkera 22e. However, the Turnigy and Trex100s and 9958 are using the FlySky protocol. That's why they can interoperate.

I believe Walkera has their own line of transmitter and possibly their own proprietary protocol. But we don't know for sure until someone with a Walkera transmitter try and bind their's to the 9958.

The Turnigy 9x will set you up and allow you to grow in the hobby. By default, it has 8 model memory. In the future, you can unlock the power of the 9x by flashing one of the community created firmwares...er9x, th9x, guvin9x or radioclone. It opens up the transmitter to allow up to 16model to be saved and flown from that single Turnigy 9x as well as a host of other features and fixes.

Keep in mind that the Turnigy 9x are the same as the FlySky, iMax and Eurgle 9CH. So any of them will do.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new to all this, but after much web search I've come to the conclusion that this is the one to buy! Now I'm a bit worried about getting a "fake" one! This is because I've seen varying specs in different online sellers. Can someone tell me what are the "right" dimensions of this? Length, rotor diameter, weight. I see that most have 200mm, 190mm, 33gr (with battery), but I've seen 190mm, 180mm, 28gr here in the UK, so ovelall smaller it seems. Not the real thing maybe?
Even Helipal says 40grs with battery, 33grs without. Others say 25m radio range, others 40m... I've even seen 250mm length. Are there really so many variations?
What is going on here please?
Thanks!
YianPap is offline Find More Posts by YianPap
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:45 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Turnigy 9x are the same as the FlySky, iMax and Eurgle 9CH
For some reason while they are the same radios for the most part. One critical difference is that the flysky badged 9x has the 2.4 antenna built into the module that clips into the back of the radio. The turnigy, for some stupid, stupid, stupid, reason has the antenna on the radio wired through the module, so that you cannot remove the module without some tedious super fine coax hacking and repair.

Not sure about the eurgle and imax versions.

Why does this matter?? well it doesnt if you only want to use flysky protocol. There are other modules for example, frsky (telemetry two-way receivers) that plug in and can be made to work with the 9x radio and custom firmware, although one has to do more hardware mods for this also. I just think the antenna thing is stupid, (can you tell??))

Sorry, all this is for when you might move on to other models and airplanes and stuff.... The turnigy version will fly the 9958 just super.!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:10 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,242 Posts
wheelspinner20,
You're right of course. Someone reported that the FlySky version looks like it's better built inside as well. However, my point related more to how each of those TX will bind to and fly the 9958.

When it's time, I'll move the Turnigy module internally to free up the back for other modules. I was debating whether to make the Turnigy the internal module or the DSM2 module. Or perhaps both and save the back for the FrSky later on? Anyways...offtopic now.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:19 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
reported that the FlySky version looks like it's better built inside as well
I call anomoly on that one, they are all a mixed bag on quality. You gotta pop the back and check for dry socket solders, and broken solder connections, and loose screws on all of them.

And not really off topic after all, if new 9958 owners want the best performance from their helis, lets face it, they are gonna want a 9x.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:44 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,242 Posts
Sorry, I mean the tangent I was about to go on with the various module is off topic.

The Turnigy 9x being able to bind to and fly the 9958 is definitely going to give the 9958 owners the best performance as you said.

I love my 9958 with the Turnigy 9x. My buddy just got his Turnigy 9x and he can't believe how much smoother and better he can control his heli now.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:08 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,242 Posts
Regarding batteries...

I think the thickness of the Turnigy Nano-Tech 160mAh makes it easier to break the battery holder on the skids. Because it puts so much stress on it. A good crash, and one of the thin plastic rod that runs fore and aft is likely to break.

The regular Turnigy 160mAh is a perfect fit. Though it's slightly more expensive.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:58 PM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Yianpap,

The blades have a slight angle at the ends, but from longest tip to longest tip, I measured 189 mm..190mm sounds right.

Dunno about weight, I've modified mine too much, but Daryoon has his on a digital scale weighing in at 27.74 g WITHOUT the battery. (Daryoon, you take such great photos. Do you do food photography by any chance?)

33g seems ridiculously light, since a 6 gram battery of that length WITHOUT the protection circuitry built in would be hard to find..let alone WITH such circuitry built in. (Although the MUCH shorter 138 mAh Turnigy 10C's I bought (for 50 cents apiece!) only weight 3.7g each. )

We have suppliers listed at the beginning of this thread who have all shipped genuine 9958's (or really accurate copies) so feel free to use one of them with some confidence. (Well..with Focal Price..not so much confidence as..a spirit of adventure.)

Welcome to the club,

daf
dafremen is offline Find More Posts by dafremen
Last edited by dafremen; Nov 16, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
hi Daf,

Thanks a lot for your welcoming reply! I was getting a little paranoid with this but now decided to buy one from a local store here in London as it will be easier anyway to use in the future for spare parts etc.

I found a "Xeida GW9958" from a place called STO models (you can find it online) and a E-FLY mSP190 which looks like an exact copy from a place called RCmods, also online. They are both stated as 190 length, 180 diameter, 28gr weight with battery(!)
So it seems that's what we get here in Europe (or maybe the specs are just wrong). It sounds slightly smaller than what you get there. I'll buy one of those, measure it and let you know! As for how it flies, RCmods have some videos on their site, to my layman eye it looks "OK". If you have time to have a look you can tell me what you think. Weird. I wonder how many different Chinese factories make those!

Anyway, can't wait to get one, though I've just managed to be comfortable with a toy coaxial to be honest, but I'm a fast learner, or so i like to think

Yiannis
YianPap is offline Find More Posts by YianPap