SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, IN, Aurora
Joined Apr 2006
123 Posts
Google Earth Flight Simulator mode = free and really cool FPV through real cities, grand canyon, up the coast... well, you get the idea. It's under "Tools" in the regular Google Earth. The HUD looks very much like my CEOSD on my real FPV plane. "H" turns the HUD off. It takes some nasty setup... as in..editing text files and guessing at values. However, I just finished setting up my Realflight Interlink controller and an old DX6. I used this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160659087437...84.m1497.l2649
to hook up the DX6... though you can just use an audio cable. I didn't want to have any volume issues with my uncle's pc, so I used that USB adapter so it will be smooth for him.

No problems. I mean, no problems after messing around for an hour

Realflight most definitely does fpv or cockpit view. It's also very realistic in normal camera mode. Pricey, I know. But, I'm way behind... on Realflight 3.5. Never upgraded because 3.5 is just fine. I will someday, it's got to be pretty cool. The Interlink controller.... is junk, feels junky. But, has never failed me. You can use your Trans, but you have to hook it up to the Interlink (with supplied cable). It is still a thousand years ahead of FMS.

I got FMS to fire up on my Uncles "Netbook". Those little tiny laptops that don't have much in the way of memory, screen, graphics... works just fine. That was on XP. I have to say, it actually isn't that bad. You'll definitely learn with it. That's all he has, and he loves it.

I put FMS on this laptop which is running Windows 7. I have to run "fms-ecomport-fix.reg" before I run FMS to make it all work. I easily got my Realflight interlink controller to work with it, and after some struggling, I got my DX6 to work. I had to set it to Aircraft and not turn it on... I have no experience with this DX6. It never actually got used. I've got a DX6i and 7. Most of the hour was spent trying to figure out the menus in the DX6. I had to reverse all of the channels to make it work in Google Earth.

So, anyway, it all works. If you need any help, just ask. My uncle is going to be thrilled when I show up with his new DX6 and some config files. He's currently using one of my old joysticks with FMS, which is a pretty poor way to learn. It's pretty cool that FMS has tons of models available. If only someone would update the graphics. But, my uncle can only fly my super cub lp, and thats after it already in the air. That model is available and it flys very close to the real thing.

Config file for DX6 in Google Earth in
"Program Files/Google/Google Earth/client/res/flightSim/controller/generic.ini"

controllers_supported = [
Controller('*', 0, 100, 0, 100)
]

button_press = [
]

axes = [
A2 set(DE, 1.0, 0.0)
A1 set(DA, 1.0, 0.0)
A0 set(DP_0, -0.5, 0.5)
A5 set(DR, 1.0, 0.0)
]

povs = [
P0 set(HAngle, 1.0, 0.0)
]

Config file for Realflight Interlink:
controllers_supported = [
Controller('*', 0, 100, 0, 100)
]

button_press = [
]

axes = [
A1 set(DE, 1.0, 0.0)
A4 set(DA, 1.0, 0.0)
A2 set(DP_0, -0.5, 0.5)
A0 set(DR, 1.0, 0.0)
]

povs = [
P0 set(HAngle, 1.0, 0.0)
]
Bringinitallback is offline Find More Posts by Bringinitallback
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined Apr 2011
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Stefan says Clearview lets you fly from inside the plane, and I know RF allows you to do the same. What do you mean, "The only simulator that lets you fly from inside the plane is Flightgear?" That's bad information.
While there are probably others similar to flight gear, CV is designed for RC models, but Flightgear is designed more like MSFlightsimulator, but with a bit more detail. (I made that mistake and found flightgear when I was looking for something to learn to fly RC planks) Like I said, a lot more than 6 channels is required on Flightgear... I got the impression that teflon is looking at computer simulations for real aircraft nor than flying RC models. There is a big difference between the two. In short I think he may be looking in the wrong place for what he wants, and gave him a steer in what I think is the correct direction.

Let me make it very clear I am a happy CV user, and I find it meets my needs, however I would hate to be a passenger in a plane where the pilot is looking for a TX!!!!!!!
PaulsBA is offline Find More Posts by PaulsBA
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Wanna Fly View Post
There are also many full scale flight sims you can find online for free. If you want to fly from inside the plane full scale sims are a great thing to look at.
That seems to be the route I should probably take JWF. Is there a simple one I should lean towards, more or less plug and play on a standard laptop running W7?
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:08 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
I don't know enough to give any recommendations. I would just google "free flight simulator" and look at what you find. I have used Aces High. It is a WWII combat flight sim, but you would be able to just take off, fly around, and land. It is also free as long as you don't do the online multi-player option. It worked great on my Windows 7 64bit laptop. I've also seen Microsoft has a free demo of their flight simulator. Take a look around and see what you can find.
Jus Wanna Fly is offline Find More Posts by Jus Wanna Fly
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:41 AM
United States, CA, Manhattan Beach
Joined Mar 2006
27 Posts
Clearview has FPV?!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirtz View Post
ClearView has first person view (FPV) on all 3d landscapes - for example, Osage Park Track1, 2 and 3 and number of 3d landscapes on CV landscapes page.
Stefan
I've been using Clearview for months now (trying to tweak the mCP-X model), and had NO IDEA that FPV was even possible, let alone currently implemented.

Holy cow! That's great news. Why are you hiding it? ;-)

Stefan, I assume you are the owner/programmer/tech support guy; and if so, you need to amp up this information. It's a great sales feature, and has really helped me figure out what's REALLY going on with my sim model, since I can see exactly the roll/pitch/yaw/crash with far better resolution than from across the tarmac.

Anyway, my 2 cents is Clearview is a VERY good sim for learning RC models. It has a huge range of customization potential. The only drawback is unlocking all that power takes takes hours and hours to figure out, since the detailed documentation is so lacking.

Cheers.
markj99 is offline Find More Posts by markj99
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Stefan is much to busy trying to straighten me out on why I prefer another sim. He doesn't have time to help you out with his sim.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:49 AM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
Fpv

If anyone has bothered to read on the Clearview download page...FPV has been implemented for well over a year ago since version 5.20..here is the news on the download page for that particular point.

ClearView RC ver. 5.20 - Pilot View (FPV) added (works for 3d landscapes like Osage Park Track 1, 2 and 3). Flex gear and rotating wheel added to Edge 540 25 Percent, Edge 540 33 Percent, Edge 540 25 Elelctric, Enforcer, F 15 Eagle, F16, F16 Tunderbird, Funtana 40, Lazybee, Pitts Special, Seaduck, Shockflier, Sky Cutter and Sportster.

Jeffpn-that particular post is unwanted here- but your previous post are 100% accurate

Clearview is now in version 5.34.

Ken
Helos36 is offline Find More Posts by Helos36
Last edited by Helos36; Nov 22, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinitallback View Post
Google Earth Flight Simulator mode = free and really cool FPV through real cities, grand canyon, up the coast... well, you get the idea. It's under "Tools" in the regular Google Earth. The HUD looks very much like my CEOSD on my real FPV plane. "H" turns the HUD off...]
Thanks for the tip Bring!

I had Flight Sim X Gold, but never opened it because I read the box and noticed it requires processor speed (2.0 Ghz) that would put my old laptop (1.87) into a coma. Also had a game controller that I never opened. They're going back to Fry's.

Meanwhile, I got the Logitech 3D Pro stick and plugged it into Google Earth Flight Sim. Excellent. Sat here for a couple hours last night and had a blast. Flew it out of LAX down the coast to Carlsbad, wandered around there for awhile at 1000' AGL and couldn't spot Palomar airport from the air until I consulted my iPhone map and finally landed.

This morning I departed Palomar and flew into MCAS Miramar (where I actually served as a tower controller when it was Navy Fightertown in the 80's and 90's). VERY entertaining "flying" around a field where I saw thousands of jets come and go for so many years. Found myself obeying traffic rules and mandatory altitudes I thought I'd forgotten about.

Looks now like the regular $20 Flight Sim X (without the gold accelerator) only needs half the laptop speed (1.0 Ghz) and should work on my system. But I'm having so much fun with Google Earth... do I even need the MS Flight Sim?
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Last edited by teflon97239; Nov 25, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:10 PM
United States, OR, Brownsville
Joined Jan 2014
4 Posts
clear view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Wanna Fly View Post
Right now I would like to get a flight simulator to practice 3D with. I used to use FMS (I know it isn't perfect, but it wasn't bad), but that won't work with my Windows 7 computer. My question is "is Clearview accurate?" I have R/C desk pilot but its physics aren't at all accurate. I was wondering if Clearview would be able to accurately do 3D flight. I used the demo and like what I saw so far, but there weren't any 3D planes to try to see how realistic it is in that regard. Thanks for the help.

JWF
For 40 bucks the clear view is very good and does 3d very well, don't mess with fs for 15 dollars its a waste and is unstable, can mess up a pc, cv is a grear deal
Cessnaskyhawk172 is offline Find More Posts by Cessnaskyhawk172
Old Jan 24, 2014, 02:02 PM
CEF
Panama, San Carlos
Joined Oct 2011
9 Posts
Clearview simply works

We spend hours and $$$ building planes and are too cheap to spend 40 bucks on a great piece of software. All the time spent on creating, updating, tweaking stuff like this needs to be paid for. Please spend the bucks. I just plug my Spektrum into it anytime I want to try something new and it simply works. Yes you have to do a little tweaking at the pc as well but hey - its a hobby. Thats what we do and its all part of the game. I have been running it for 3 years now and it just plain works. You have to download the demo to get started anyway so go for it and give it a try. There is lots of online help so it should not be too big a learning curve. Time spent on the simulator means less time picking up pieces of foam from the field.- believe me.
ptybill is offline Find More Posts by ptybill
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:24 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
expo

just bought clearview and using the dynam controller. the controls are very sensitive and the application doesn't seem to have a way to control end points or put in expo.

I do see a dialog box in the manual that allows these things to be controlled.

I have version 5.34 and it gives me access to all the fields and planes.

is there an additional download I need to get to access these controls?

thanks,
tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:37 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,755 Posts
Select the Easy Model Setup from the Settings menu; Expo and Rate settings are there, and Rate is similar to changing the end points.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:23 AM
"Experimental"
United States, NY, Elbridge
Joined Feb 2013
181 Posts
Ken, I'm a new user, and would like to thank you for a fine product. It's an incredible deal. A few days after buying it, I discovered your model page. I downloaded all the planes and landscapes you have on your site, and was completely ready to "fork over" - I was shocked when I didn't find a checkout page. I didn't even know that all that additional content came with the license and was completely happy. I've really enjoyed myself and have learned a bunch with Clearview. I'm even starting to dabble with the copters.

After that glowing review, true and unsolicited I may add, I almost hate to mention this 1 problem. I seem to be crashing into and actually landing on an invisible surface above the ground on several landscapes (I forget the name right now, but the one with train and fence come to mind) If the exact ones and circumstances matter, I can provide that info.

It seems almost like the ground and some objects are "reflected" upward. (but not visible) - conversly, I occasionally fly through objects with no effect. Is this caused by a software glitch, or is it a setting that I have incorrect? It's sure not a deal breaker, but I'd like to fix it if possible.

I've looked around but havn't found any mention of this as yet. So maybe it's my particular setup. I'm using a Acer 17" laptop Win 7 and a FlySky T6 radio.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I saw Ken on this thread and figured to kill 2 birds. Review (YES - Clearview is good!), and tech issue.
Thanks, Scott
Scott594 is offline Find More Posts by Scott594
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:33 AM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,755 Posts
The FremontRCField has a train fairly close, while VacaValley has one in the distance; I use both fairly often, and have no problems. Perhaps you have a corrupted download?
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:25 PM
United States, MN, Richmond
Joined Nov 2013
2 Posts
Happy With Clearview

I'm pleased with Clearview, I purchased it a few months ago and I went with the HK USB 6 channel simulator for a controller. I'm a 51 YO newbie to the hobby and already purchased a Turnigy 9x which needs soldering modifications to add buddy box or USB connectivity.

I played with RC desk pilot and despite working through several of the FMS fixes, failed to get it functioning on my Vista equipped laptop.

It's been brutally cold this winter in Minnesota and I have been rather happy getting some practice in with Clearview. I'm too financially reserved to pay for the more mainstream RC flight simulators. As my wife says you can spend that money on more parts and airframes, but after trying my foam FT Baby Blender decided some simulator time was appropriate. My plan is learning with homemade foamies before moving on to more time consuming kits and ARFs.

I'm only using it for planes, can't speak to helicopters. I've played primarily with the trainer types and the biplanes. I think for the most part I find real value in the time spent with Clearview. In short I feel I am getting my money's worth from Clearview and the cheap HK controller.

There are a few tweaks I would like to make to some of specific model parameters however that is beyond my desire to even bother. More importantly I'm growing comfortable with two stick technique.

I've spent years running an original - now vintage - Associated RC-10 buggy on the ground, followed with years on the MS flight and combat simulators as well as the Google Earth simulator, I figured it was time to invest some time in RC airplanes. I don't have a situation where I can buddy up to learn but my wife and I recently moved to farm land with plenty of flying space.

For the price I feel Clearview is well worth it. Some more expanded documentation on modifying the parameters (i.e. for each parameter - what values, up or down will accomplish what - would be real helpful.) I've read most of the parameter descriptions but I don't know the impact changing the values will have up or down. This doesn't prevent me from fully enjoying the education I'm receiving, again I felt it was well worth the price.

EskimoTom - Sartell/St Cloud/Cold Spring MN
EskimoTom is offline Find More Posts by EskimoTom