HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Discussion
Changing inner shaft on S111G

I have ordered a new inner shaft for my Syma S111G. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to change and what the procedure is?
Thanks
svchama is offline Find More Posts by svchama
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:20 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,747 Posts
Svchama, Welcome to RCG. I have replaced the inner shaft on the S107 many times, but I have yet to work on a S111. But they are similar.

Before we go any further, let me ask you this first. Do you really want to replace the inner shaft (because that is rare)? Or, do you want to replace the rotor head (most common problem)? The procedure and strategy is quite different.

The rotor head breaks easily because it has plastic parts that breaks off. Most people need to replace just that. The inner shaft needs to be replaced when it is bent - quite rare. So, let me know what you need to replace, then I'll walk you thru the rest.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
S111G rotor head

Hello Heli Pad,
You're absolutely right. It is just the rotor head that needs to be replaced. I ordered the shaft with the rotor head on it because I thought that was what I needed. Will it be difficult to remove the head from the shaft?
Thanks
Old Nov 09, 2011, 07:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,747 Posts
I'm glad to hear that is the case. Replacement of the rotor head is much easier. First you want to identify the two locking screws, one on each side of the shaft. They are located between the flybar and the upper blades. Once you located them, loosen them both. With one hand on the chopper body, use the other hand to grab the whole rotor head assembly (upper blade and flybar), pull them apart. With the locking screws loosen, the entire rotor head assembly should come off in one piece.

Watch the first 25 seconds of this video. You could skip the rest. And yes, the music on the video is horrible.

Now that you know how the head should come off the shaft, repeat the steps with the replacement part. Except this time, you don't have to helicopter body to hold on to. Use something to give you a good grip on the new shaft and don't bent it.

The rest of the operation is to detach the fly bar, the connect buckles, the upper blade grip assembly and transfer them from the old rotor head over to the new rotor head. When you're done with that, install the whole thing back on the shaft, lock it down with screws and you're done. (If this step is unclear, let me know, and I'll break it down further for you.)

Of course, you want to observe the orientation and the indentation of the shaft, so that the locking screws sit squarely on the indentation.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:42 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
...And if you overtighten the screws IN THE LEAST they will strip. It's not like tightening metal into metal. I don't know how to describe the amount of force, other than "the least possible". The nice thing about plastic threads is that they have an inherent grip which metal does not. The bad thing is that they are very easily destroyed.

When the screws resist turning further, STOP.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Last edited by arbilab; Nov 09, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:12 AM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
S111G rotor head

Thanks for the info Heli Pad. My part is being shipped from China so it will be a while before I get a chance to try to do the installation. I may try to order another one from a US distributor.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:24 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svchama View Post
Thanks for the info Heli Pad. My part is being shipped from China so it will be a while before I get a chance to try to do the installation. I may try to order another one from a US distributor.
I bought a spares or repair S111G from my local hobby shop and fitted the same parts from a S107 and they work a treat. If you can get red blades it gives the S111G a different look to the standard

The one in the middle has the S107 parts fitted

scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
20 Posts
Hi
Hope you dont mind me butting into this thread but I have this model of helicopter and the inner shaft keeps coming right out. Any idea how it fixes back into the outer shaft?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Hycote is offline Find More Posts by Hycote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,747 Posts
Hycote, Welcome. We don't mind at all. This is a forum for questions like that so that we could help each other, and others to come.

Help us understand your situation better though, because I don't think I have a good picture of what's happening here. The way I understand this: the inner shaft is held in place by the gear at the bottom, and then on the other end is the rotor head, sandwiching the outer shaft in the middle. When you said that the inner shaft keeps coming right out, the gear would have to be separated?!?! I'm confused.

Tell you what, next time when it comes out, would you please take a photo of what comes out and post it here so we have a look at it? I'm guessing that your rotor head assembly is loose and it's flying off the shaft.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:58 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
If your using an iPhone it's really simple to add a photo, sign up for a free photbucket account, go to the app store and get the photo bucket app and upload to your account, in the app go to albums, new uploads (or something like that) find the photo, hit the little "i" and it will show list of things, tap in the bar of the [img] code, it will be "copied" into your clip board then you can paste it into a post here for us to see.

If you using a pc just do the standard thing for putting a photo into your pc from a camera, when your writting a post rather than hit "post quick reply" use "go advanced" and you will see the upload options there.

@Helipad, hey dude! I've got a second S111 as spares/repaires.... I'll be updating whats cross compatible from it soon, I've also noticed that unlike the S107R5 PCB it S102R8 (yep it has a S102 PCB, Glad I have a seccond one, when I get my BLack hawk this PCB will be going in there!) the Gyro is not mounted on the PCB, its on about 3 inch of wire (+, - & Signal). so long as the Gyro is mounted corectly the main board can be mounted in any orientation, the S107R5 Gyro has three connections and looks to be easily removed from the main board, I should have something interesting to post soon......
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
20 Posts
Thanks for feedback guys, sounds like the shaft has seperated from the gear then..
See attached pic (hope this works!)..
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
20 Posts
The mad thing is, it still actually flies if I press the shaft back in hard enough but after a while it does eventually work loose, then the top blades going flying off and the heli drops like a stone! I was going to buy another one anyway but just wondered if it was fixable..
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,747 Posts
Wow, Hycote, that is truly the entire inner shaft that came out! Thanks for the picture.

I have worked around many Syma helicopters, but I haven't had the pleasure of owning a S111G. So, my comments are more general than specific.

The inner shaft is attached to the gear at the bottom end, and it is just a pressure fit, no screw, no nothing. Notice in your own picture, about 2mm from the bottom end of the shaft is an area of "roughness". The gear needs to sit on that area. When you push the inner shaft back into the helicopter, (I'm amazed that you could even find and reattach the gear without seeing the gear), it might reattach, but it might not have reattached fully.

So, here's what I'd recommend. Open up the S111G so that you could actually see the gear system. Reinsert the inner shaft from top and reattach the gear (probably white plastic) and make sure that the gear sits on the roughness of the shaft. Once, you've done that it should be tight.

BUT, if you could then plug it out with minimal effort, then the pressure fit has failed. Remove the gear and check for cracks. If the gear is cracked you may want to eventually replace it. But it sounds to me that it flies. So if the pressure fit failed. I would put a tiny dab of glue on the rough part of the shaft and let it dry completely before anything else. Once it is dry and have added thickness to the shaft, reinstall the gear and it should feel better.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
20 Posts
Heli Pad, thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. Off to find a tiny screwdriver..
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hycote View Post
Heli Pad, thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. Off to find a tiny screwdriver..
On the underside of the S111G there is a small black triangular piece held on with three screws, you only need remove these three screws and the triangular piece to get limited access to the bottom gear

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft