HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero138 View Post
I will give it a try. I figured it was more about the prop resistance from the sound it was making while descending so that makes sense.I've also got it loaded down with the 468 gear/camera gimbal ,a gopro, 4s 4000 pack and soon to be downlink system. So I,m sure those props are doing some work.
What platform are you flying? F450 or higher. I think that F450 specs are: max weight 1600 gr or something around 3lb 8.44oz . If you are close to that weight, all the performance will be lesser than on a lighter F450.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Last edited by pajonate; Sep 03, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
5 pounds does not seem heavy for a 550. you have 6 motors
Thanks.
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:05 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZbUhxZ3c#gid=0
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:14 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
hey guys (wt 10" graupner props),
do you guys use spacers on your props?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:21 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,531 Posts
1600gr =/= 4.7lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
What platform are you flying? F450 or higher. I think that F450 specs are: max weight 1600 gr or something around 4.7 pounds. If you are close to that weight, all the performance will be lesser than on a lighter F450.
Check your conversion tables...
1600gr = 3lb 8.44oz
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:24 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,531 Posts
F550 tow

5 pounds does not seem heavy for a 550. you have 6 motors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Thanks.
F550 TOW = 2400gr = 5lb 4.66oz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
9" graupners reamed to 8mm (stock motors). Using red DJI spacer on bottom of props and nylock nuts. Trouble free set-up
naturecannon is offline Find More Posts by naturecannon
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:51 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
Well ,I have tried the new NAZA with GPS after abandoning the original NAZA and F450 since I didnt like its feel and quirks in fast forward flight and was breaking DJI 10" props constantly in midair. I am very impressed with it...flies like its on rails...almost 100% of the time I stay in GPS mode for my FPV video flying now....great for following creeks through heavy woods, etc..and sustained fast forward flight doesn't have the pitch back quirks that the earlier versions did.

I started with a F550 running 4S and 8inch DJI props....but moved everything back to my F450 platform to get better duration...getting 7.5mins on 3300mah @ 1600g...seeking even more duration, I moved to 5000mah and got 9mins...but started breaking 8in DJI props...AUW 1780g....

consulting "e-calc" I found that moving to 10" props should give me 13.5 minutes...so I borrowed a friends set of Graupners....superbly stable flights of 13+ minutes....

BUT I CANT GET THE PROPS ANYWHERE!

has anyone flown the GemFan Carbon filled nylon props at loading of 450g/prop without midair breaks?I like GemFan props in general, but I know that the all nylon ones will break at that loading...I used the Carbon filled ones on my F550 at 300g/prop without any issues...
Here's a couple sources for Graupners:
http://www.rchobbyhelicopter.com/store52/agora.cgi

http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplay...Graupner+Props

@cpmboy: the second link has spacers, or try:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-spacers/=j4ruzk
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Check your conversion tables...
1600gr = 3lb 8.44oz
OOPS, I divided 56oz with 12 instead with 16. Apologies.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:56 AM
Near Disneyland in Placentia, Southern California, USA
Joined Aug 2004
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
The Graupner 10x5 props are GREAT but the hub is a tiny bit too thin to fully allow the prop to tighten to the motor.
I use a thin 8mm stainless steel washer UNDER the prop so that the nut will allow me to properly tighten the prop.
Additionally, with the Graupners, I carefully sanded off the raised lettering on the top of the hub to allow the prop nut to FULLY contact the prop and not just the raised lettering.

Regards
Bernd

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x5 Graupner Props /3S 2200 & 4000 Lipos / GoPro HD2
Spektrum DX-7 (original)
BerndM is offline Find More Posts by BerndM
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:06 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Disconnect the red wires from your ESC that go into your Naza. Also power up the motors first, and then apply power to the Naza. It may help. You can use the same battery, just split the cable to be able to power up the ESC separately from the Naza.
Hi Pajonate, after this new firmware this is not needed. I had to do that prior install it.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:08 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
OOPS, I divided 56oz with 12 instead with 16. Apologies.
I am so SUPRISED at you! I thought you were always mistake free!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:29 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
Well ,I have tried the new NAZA with GPS after abandoning the original NAZA and F450 since I didnt like its feel and quirks in fast forward flight and was breaking DJI 10" props constantly in midair. I am very impressed with it...flies like its on rails...almost 100% of the time I stay in GPS mode for my FPV video flying now....great for following creeks through heavy woods, etc..and sustained fast forward flight doesn't have the pitch back quirks that the earlier versions did.

I started with a F550 running 4S and 8inch DJI props....but moved everything back to my F450 platform to get better duration...getting 7.5mins on 3300mah @ 1600g...seeking even more duration, I moved to 5000mah and got 9mins...but started breaking 8in DJI props...AUW 1780g....

consulting "e-calc" I found that moving to 10" props should give me 13.5 minutes...so I borrowed a friends set of Graupners....superbly stable flights of 13+ minutes....

BUT I CANT GET THE PROPS ANYWHERE!

has anyone flown the GemFan Carbon filled nylon props at loading of 450g/prop without midair breaks?I like GemFan props in general, but I know that the all nylon ones will break at that loading...I used the Carbon filled ones on my F550 at 300g/prop without any issues...
I use a GWS 9X5X3 (3 blade prop) and it fly fine, just a little hard to balance then and use with 4S and my AUW is 2000g with 4S 5000mha. My flight time until autolanding is almost 12min but when it reaches 6min I bring it back home and have around 30% to 40% juice left. Hope it helps, they are cheap and never had then explode like other 10" that did a couple time to me.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:31 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,531 Posts
Tri Color LED

This article explains the VU's LED colors.
http://www.ledlights.org/tri-color-and-rgb-leds.php
After reading it, it's easy to see why some pilots see the yellow color as red.
If DJI had chosen a RGB LED, we would enjoy even more colors to discern...
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:41 PM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Been fooling around with my Graupner failsafe to long and now its got me confuessed. Stupid question here now. When you flip your IOC switch to Home lock isn't that the IOC that tells the controler to RTH and return home and land all hands off sticks if so I found a work around the Graupner ppm failsafe bug.
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen