HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:32 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Well just did a quick flight with the new firmware update. Felt fine just like before. This quad doesn't have a gimbal on it. Since the update seems good, I will update my hex and test the gimbal out.

I got all blinking green (GOOD GPS) within about 20 seconds of power up. I did another compass cal prior to flight. It worked perfect the first time. Flew in all modes. Feels the same as it did with the older firware. I was happy with the way it worked before and still happy. I am looking forward to seeing what the new gimbal update did. Boy I hope it is smoother.

Since you mention the GPS getting a good signal in 20 seconds, is this different than what you were experiencing before? I don't have a gimbal or the equipment to take advantage of what the new software says it adds but if there are unpublished changes in the code that deal with GPS and the "beta testers" like yourself say it works better then I might just update.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Mar 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
I just tried the new firmware. I regretted it almost immediately when the upgrade failed and my MC and the assistant stopped responding. I had to try all the tricks. Different power sequences, restarting assistant and PC, then it finally went through. It might be because I switched the wires to the one wire PPM SUM setup before the upgrade and it was getting unexpected rx signals. I didn't realize the rx had to be connected to do a firmware upgrade. But I put it back to the old setup and it worked. Or maybe it was using Tahoe Ed's power sequence that helped. I was trying so many things I don't even know what did it.

Anyways, got it going and flew a few test flights and it was flying pretty well. I don't have much to compare it to since I've only had my Naza for a couple weeks and was still trying to dial it in. It seemed to fly a lot smoother when yawing in FFF (which is what I'm trying to dial in) but that might just be because it was pretty calm today. The PPM sum worked with my Frsky Rx, looks a lot cleaner. I didn't try the IMU calibration but it was flying well so I left that for later.
Some where in the Frksy receiver manual it says that for CPPM you should use up to 6 channel and not the full 8 channel. How does that for you?
shadowless is offline Find More Posts by shadowless
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:46 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
Since you mention the GPS getting a good signal in 20 seconds, is this different than what you were experiencing before? I don't have a gimbal or the equipment to take advantage of what the new software says it adds but if there are unpublished changes in the code that deal with GPS and the "beta testers" like yourself say it works better then I might just update.
I did notice the first time I powered up I got GPS lock instantly, which was the first time i saw that...but then the next few packs it was back to normal 30 sec or so wait to get lock. I don't really wait for less than 1 red blink anyways.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless View Post
Some where in the Frksy receiver manual it says that for CPPM you should use up to 6 channel and not the full 8 channel. How does that for you?
It says that in the D4RII manual, not the D8R manual.
It says:
"CPPM channel can not handle all eight channels at the same time with all throws are maxed out, as it does not have enough frame gap. It is recommended to use at most six channels from CPPM channel while leaving off the rest two channels, otherwise improper performance might occur."

I'm hoping the D8R can handle it. Anybody know?
Regardless, I'm using 7 channels and I'm never even close to maxing out the throws on all simultaneously so I'm not to worried.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Last edited by Cervanchez; Aug 31, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:22 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I'm starting to try to comprehend what the upgrade entails:
Since we now have a gimbal output frequency choice, someone refresh my memory as what it was previously, permanantly set to.
Is it safe to assume it was 50Hz (= analog servo pulse speed)?
Also, one of you pioneers (Ed, maybe) explain the steps it's taking us through on page 36.
Is this merely pushing a calibrate button and observing the the new values fall withing the values in "Tips"?
That is, of course, if they don't already fall within the values in "Tips".
Or, should we recalibrate frequently like we do with the compass?
In the old firmware, for me anyway, the pitch gimbal didn't work whilst connected to the assistant if you pitch the quad forwards (although after disconnecting the Assistant it worked just fine). Others also reported this problem.

In the new firmware this appears to have been fixed (YMMV).

Does anyone know if PPM-Sum falls out of any of the holes in a Spektrum AR8000?
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Edit* Problem solved!
The_RattleSnake is online now Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Last edited by The_RattleSnake; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:00 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
Does anyone have a version of the assistant that actually works?
All versions of the assistant & firmware have worked for me (including the latest release), on two NAZA/GPS installations (Gaui 330xs & Flamewheel F450 - now upgraded, but not yet flown, to a F550).

What problem do you have?
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:39 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,016 Posts
Firmware Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
All versions of the assistant & firmware have worked for me (including the latest release), on two NAZA/GPS installations (Gaui 330xs & Flamewheel F450 - now upgraded, but not yet flown, to a F550).

What problem do you have?
So far these two glitches are the standouts:
Looks like connection sequence...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13350
Looks like download interruptions...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13251
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:07 AM
Türkiye, Ankara
Joined Nov 2009
99 Posts
Hi,
I started to use HK orange Receiver for my Futaba 7C , because Original RX doesnt suppert failsafe on all channels... I set up everything including a failsafe switch...
During flight after 200 meters The hexa goes out of control it stays where it is rock solid. I just cant control it till I turn off from gps atti to Attti and back to gps atti then I re gain the control....
I cant understand? if it is becouse of RX it should return to home but it doesnt just stays on its location and hovers....
Any ideas?
sundust is offline Find More Posts by sundust
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:17 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundust View Post
Hi,
I started to use HK orange Receiver for my Futaba 7C , because Original RX doesnt suppert failsafe on all channels... I set up everything including a failsafe switch...
During flight after 200 meters The hexa goes out of control it stays where it is rock solid. I just cant control it till I turn off from gps atti to Attti and back to gps atti then I re gain the control....
I cant understand? if it is becouse of RX it should return to home but it doesnt just stays on its location and hovers....
Any ideas?
It is working correctly...

Manual version 2.1 page 21
Notices:
When switch to Manual Mode or Atti. Mode, MC will disengage enhanced failed-safe mode, you can re-gain
control of multi-rotor.
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:36 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,016 Posts
RTH vs Hover & Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundust View Post
Hi,
Any ideas?
What gww528 said...
+ Check which Enhanced Failsafe Mode you have chosen (Naza Manual pg 21)
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, NV, Nye
Joined Jun 2012
167 Posts
I still can't get my failsafe setup. I messed with my end points this morning and now when I turn off my transmiter no matter what mode I am in it goes to ALIT mode. What am I missing.
STORMYWEATHER is offline Find More Posts by STORMYWEATHER
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMYWEATHER View Post
I still can't get my failsafe setup. I messed with my end points this morning and now when I turn off my transmiter no matter what mode I am in it goes to ALIT mode. What am I missing.
It could be your RX or the way you have the RX programmed. The following may be helpful.

http://helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=3827530&postcount=4

In the video, the throttle pump was Rx Smart FailSafe not NAZA failsafe. You are correct in saying that the proper way to test it is by using the NAZA software via the USB link. I also agree with your steps in setting proper failsafe stick positions. However, when you follow those instructions, you'll still crash as NAZA failsafe will never be triggered.

How do I know? I can test it. Turning off the Tx doesn't trigger failsafe in NAZA. If I was in Manual mode, it will remain manual mode. If I was in ATTI it will stay there as well.

The problem is not on those instructions you provided. The problem is with the instructions Spektrum provided on how to bind the Rx to the Tx.

See, Spektrum offers 2 failsafe methods. One called "SmartSafe" and the other one called "Preset Failsafe". For the Naza to work properly, you need to select "Preset FailSafe". How you select which failsafe method you want is dependent on how you bind it. Unfortunately, Spektrum prints the instructions on how to select SmartSafe only while leaving "Preset FailSafe" instructions out while most new receivers support it.

Here's how you select each of the failsafe methods.

Programming SmartSafe

During the binding process, the bind plug is left in throughout the process and is removed only after the receiver connects to the transmitter. After the connection is made, confirmed by operating the servos, the bind plug can be removed. The receiver is now programmed for SmartSafe.

Programming Preset Failsafe

During the binding process the bind plug is inserted in the bind port, then the receiver is powered up. The LEDs in each receiver should blink, indicating that the receiver is in bind mode. Now before binding the receiver to the transmitter and with the receiver in bind mode, remove the bind plug. The LEDs will still be blinking. With the control sticks and switches in the desired failsafe positions, bind the transmitter to the receiver. Follow the procedures of your specific transmitter to enter Bind Mode.
The system should connect in less than 15 seconds. The receiver is now programmed for preset failsafe.

Note: Failsafe positions are stored via the stick and switch positions on the transmitter during binding.

Receiver Power Only

* With SmartSafe or Preset Failsafe, when the receiver only is turned on (no transmitter signal is present), the throttle channel has no output, to avoid operating or arming the electronic speed control.
* All other channels are driven to their preset failsafe positions set during binding.

Note: Some analog servos may coast slightly even though no signal is present. This is normal.

I hope you find this information useful. If you should have any further questions, please reply to this email .
Thanks,
Matt "Mac" McCarty
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby Distributors
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, NV, Nye
Joined Jun 2012
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMYWEATHER View Post
Got it now. I knew I had it working on my other Naza months ago. It was just a matter of where I had my end points when I saved failsafe in my radio failsafe menue.
STORMYWEATHER is offline Find More Posts by STORMYWEATHER
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:05 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
It is working correctly...

Manual version 2.1 page 21
Notices:
When switch to Manual Mode or Atti. Mode, MC will disengage enhanced failed-safe mode, you can re-gain
control of multi-rotor.
can that mentioned above be enable only if we have the GPS module?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY