SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Has anyone used the Naza on a big multi fx 14-15" props and how does that work?
Or is the Naza only for small multi's?
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:19 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madushan2008 View Post
i put flashed ESCs to my DJI now motors are working quite and smoothly.
mostly i like because there is no noisy sound from the motors.
I have been told that the NAZA controller does not need ESC 'flashing' and works fine with standard Turnigy plush ?

Is there a craft size limit on what the Naza can control effectively, as opposed to the Wookong?

(seems like Tritan is thinking along the same lines too)
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jetstuff; Aug 29, 2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: noticed later post
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:27 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
Mark_q,
mine question was posted because I have Jr 9303 (72Mhz) with module for Spektrum and Assan. In the JR manual, under faisafe, there is requirement to set your radio to SPCM modulation. On the other hand, Assan manual, states that all their Rxs are PPM. So, if I set my radio to SPCM modulation, I get a menu Failsafe where I can set it up, but them the radio doesn't bind with the receiver.
I haven't tried the Spektrum module, since at this point I have only 4 channel Spektrum Rxs.

@Carvanchez,
what radio you have with your FrSky. I looked at the DHT-U unit, and it seems interesting, since it is a Tx module and telemetry in-one.
You need to set the JR Tx to PPM to operate with the Spektrum module and use the Spektrum failsafe options....the JR SPCM failsafe cannot be used....errrr.... I think.
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:46 AM
Peter
Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Gothenburg
Joined Dec 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
There's been quite a lot about failsafe recently and I wonder if everyone has a real understanding of this important topic. Here are a few points to consider:
  • Every radio system deals with TX/RX failsafe differently
  • Most radio systems under 8 channels that have a failsafe feature do so on throttle only
  • Most radio systems which have a true multi-channel failsafe program, require separate menu selection or special bind requirement to make them work
I don't know all the differences, but I can tell you there are many so do your research!

I can speak to Spektrum a bit since it is what I use and I hear it mentioned a lot on this thread. Spektrum (& JR) have two different failsafe programs, "Smartsafe" and "Preset Failsafe".
Smartsafe is throttle only and basically remembers only the throttle position at bind so if signal is lost, the throttle goes to its bind position and all other controls do not change. Smartsafe is available on all AR receivers and is the default.

Preset Failsafe is where you can preset all control surfaces and swithces when the signal is lost. Preset Failsafe is available on AR7001 and higher receivers and is activated with a second special bind procedure (from the AR9001 instructions):

"During the binding process the bind plug is inserted in the bind port, then the receiver is powered up. The LEDs in each receiver should blink, indicating that the receiver is in bind mode. Now before binding the receiver to the transmitter and with the receiver in bind mode, remove the bind plug. The
LEDs will still be blinking. With the control sticks and switches in the desired failsafe positions, bind the transmitter to the receiver. Follow the procedures of your specifc transmitter to enter Bind Mode. The system should connect in less than 15 seconds. The receiver is now programmed for preset failsafe."

Keep in mind we are working with spinning samurai swords so be careful. It would be prudent to do your testing with empty servos plugged in to your receiver first then test on the multirotor.

Always keep it fun!
For those who has older AR7100 I can add that preset failsafe only works on the newer ones with new FW. I dont know when the breakpoint was but my AR7100 is 3-4 years old and it does not support preset failsafe.

I use the cheap Orange 7x for Spektrum and it has failsafe on all channels. I never had a problem with Orange recievers.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Failsafe_.html
RolandGarros is offline Find More Posts by RolandGarros
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:23 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Hello, I had a Futaba 9C + TM7 2.4Gh Module and I din't fave fail safe to Naza.
I change the Module With:
FrSky DF 2.4Ghz Module for Futaba
FrSky FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
2.4Ghz 7DB Antenna for FrSky Modules
And the FailSafe and RTH working now Perfect!!!! And The range is fantastic.
I also Installed on my hex:
FrSky D8R-II PLUS 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver with Telemetery
FrSky Lipo Voltage Sensor FLVS-01
FrSky FSH-01 Telemetry Sensor Hub
FrSky FVAS-01 Telemetry Variometer Sensor
And I really like the new module, and the telemetry!
Frsky Module is cheap and also good for the 15 days I had it.
lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:23 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
The safest way to range check is with the PROPS REMOVED!!!!

On a Spektrum type radio you have to press and hold the Bind button and walk away 30 paces, about 75-90 feet. You have to have full control authority at that distance with the button held in. If you don't have a buddy to help you, you should still be able to hear the motors change pitch with throttle up/down. If all is good at that 75-90 foot range, you're golden at full range.

Regards
Bernd

Remember.....PROPS OFF.

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x5 Graupner Props /3S 2200 & 4000 Lipos / GoPro HD2
Spektrum DX-7 (original)
One of the things I like about my Spektrum DX8/AR8000 setup is that, with the added TM1000 telemetry module & the Spektrum barometric altimeter, I can get real-time feedback displayed on the transmitter of received signal quality (the receiver monitors the quality then relays the answer back to the Tx) as well as pack voltage &, less interesting, height above the takeoff point.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:41 AM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
526 Posts
question:

*is it possible to increase the roll/ pitch amplitude in Atti/Gps mode? i mean the angle is limited to something like 45°

thanks
w4Rd3n is online now Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:42 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Which module have you ordered, the one with the LCD telemetry or the regular one. What about the Rx. Which ones you got? And from where?
I got this for my Futaba 9C. No telemetry. I didn't feel the need for another task to do while flying, didn't want any more monitors and sensors, and hate taking my eyes off my machine, though I have to admit it is a LOT easier with the Quad than a plane!. If I ever go FPV I'll have OSD. It has 7 channels which is what I am using and is supposedly has a long range as well as failsafe and it was pretty darn inexpensive.

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=226

I agree with T.J. that new stuff may not work with 72 anymore. On the other hand, at my field I am the only one left on FM and it works fine with all my planes. I have three Futaba 9C's and I love em and have more or less learned how to program them.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. With my Quad, however, things were clearly broke and on the verge of getting more broke and the whole thing is starting to make me broke. Retired I am, but I have to go to work today to buck up my Paypal account that this little 450 has drained!
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jun 2012
68 Posts
Need Help with Serial Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
I posted this on Tahoe Ed's kit build thread but its been a while since anyone has posted there. My wife's returning from skiing tomorrow night so I have one more day to play and I'd like to get the NAZA on my new hex in the air tomorrow and need help.

In my first attempt with the software assistant I had an error message for no serial number. I checked the channels on the Rx and started the procedure over, this time it went through the start up sequence with the LED [that's one bright LED], but at the end of the sequence it was flashing yellow even though I had a green light on the Rx, so I went ahead and plugged in the USB, the LED stopped flashing, went green and I launched the assistant.

This time the Tx calibrated fine and the mode switch worked but after I cycled the power without the USB I still get the flashing yellow.

I still haven't figured out how to set the CSC or get it to arm.

Any help?

Hi there,
I am having same issues with the serial number. How do you get a serial number from DJI? I tried inserting the number from the Naza box but no luck there. I cannot start the software whithout the number.

Any leads?
Thanks,
TopViewShots is offline Find More Posts by TopViewShots
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:45 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Sorry

Quote:
TJ, is the FrSky SPCM or PPM, do you have an idea? I am asking if the FrSky's can be set up for failsafe. I have JR 9303 with Assan module and Spektrum module.
With Assan module when I select a model, works only if I set modulation to PPM (no failsafe).
Don't know.
Perhaps check FrSky website...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I heard google knows what the FrSky is....
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:00 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Study More

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopViewShots View Post
Hi there,
I am having same issues with the serial number. How do you get a serial number from DJI? I tried inserting the number from the Naza box but no luck there. I cannot start the software whithout the number.

Any leads?
Thanks,
I suggest that you read through the solution that worked for the original poster.
Apparently, he thought he needed the serial number and did not.
That may be your case as well...
Your Naza FC knows its serial number and will provide it to the software at the appropriate time.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:06 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I heard google knows what the FrSky is....
When you guys ask me something I don't know, the first thing I do is check Google (or Yahoo = my preference).
So, MCrites is correct...
Learn to do research so we don't have to do it for you...
I know that you are hoping for a quick answer off the top of our heads, but we don't always know all the answers.
I did check the FrSky site B4 saying "I don't know", but their Q&A looks to be 10+ pages and no search option...

Also, I try hard to answer with a reference to a manual, website, or known authority in order to remove my personal opinions from the answer. I respect the knowledge of others and try not to adulterate it...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Aug 29, 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added comment
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:09 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMYWEATHER View Post
You folks are really confussing me now. How are you running PPM when the code for the NAZA board to do PPM is not yet implimented. Help me figure this out huuu.
I may be wrong but I think the confusion is between ppm and cppm. The Frsky rx puts out ppm for each individual channel and that works with Naza. I think the firmware update we're waiting for will support cppm where all the channels are encoded onto 1 wire. My Frsky rx also supports cppm. I can jumper ch 3-4 on my D8r and I get ch1-8 cppm on ch1 output, rssi on channel 2, and still have ch5-8 for any other auxillary uses.

@Pajonate: I use a Hitec Aurora 9. I would say go for the DHT-U if you're going to go Frsky. The audible alarms are great

Man this thread moves so quick i can barely keep up!

Edit: I may be wrong now that I'm thinking about it, the Frsky rx may be outputting pwm on the individual channels. I don't remember, I would have to put it on the scope and check again. But either way, it works with naza.
2nd edit: Frsky site says ppm so I think I was right the first time
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Last edited by Cervanchez; Aug 29, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:16 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Man this thread moves so quick i can barely keep up!
WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME!

And yeah TJ, I havent had enough coffee today so I just passed off my super secret answer finding website called google.com
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites