Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
1. Put airframe on ground and power up Naza. Switch to Atti (Yellow LED).
(You might want to wait until all red satellite LED flashes stop)
2. Walk away 50yds, 75 yds, 100yds (whatever you wish).
3. Switch to GPS (Green LED).
4. Then (just for fun) turn on Failsafe (Rapid Yellow LED)
(Do it with switch and not by turning off transmitter)
If you see the LED change from Yellow to Green and back to Fast Yellow, you should have a communicating trans/rec.
Correct?
I realize this is only one channel, but shouldn't you have them all if one's working?
Thanks. I'll try this.

I did another try with another RX that I range checked first. And I tested the original one too. Both were PCM with baseloaded antennas. Neither gave me the range I would have expected with the antenna in, but both gave at least 200 yards with it out (couldn't get any further away and see my stick on servo move.

This time with second RX I held the machine down with a huge spike. The motors started and ran at idle. As I walked back say 100 feet with the antenna in the thing appeared to become unresponsive and the motors spooled up. This time it didn't go anywhere.

I am wondering if my base loaded antenna is poorly positioned and getting some type of interference.

Next I tried an FM RX with the antenna strung around the frame. That didn't work at all. The motors spooled up on their own and acted erratically.

I'll try the motors off approach after I relocate the base load antenna on the original RX.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
1. Put airframe on ground and power up Naza. Switch to Atti (Yellow LED).
(You might want to wait until all red satellite LED flashes stop)
2. Walk away 50yds, 75 yds, 100yds (whatever you wish).
3. Switch to GPS (Green LED).
4. Then (just for fun) turn on Failsafe (Rapid Yellow LED)
(Do it with switch and not by turning off transmitter)
If you see the LED change from Yellow to Green and back to Fast Yellow, you should have a communicating trans/rec.
Correct?
I realize this is only one channel, but shouldn't you have them all if
one's working?
This works like a charm! Thanks T.J.

Both of my PCM receivers, which I purchased used, are suspect. They do not have the range they should have. While I never got out of the range that worked in my static range check with a servo with a flag on it, when mounted on the machine the range is less. T.J.s test confirmed it.

Plus, I think my antenna location was terrible. I corrected that and flew again, just not getting very far away, and the machine worked great. So that's good news. I have a friend who has a PCM RX that was gone through by Radio South recently that he is not using, so I'll fly close till I get it.

Thanks again. I guess a range check is pretty important, because my machine basically ran away when it lost control.
Last edited by u2builder; Aug 28, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:09 PM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
818 Posts
U2, that is weird.
But, I am wondering, if you suspect a lost control from a radio, how did you initiated the failsafe procedure. If you have lost control, you would lose the failsafe control too.
Something is "fishy" here.

Damn it, I like Naza, but some dark clouds are coming over it. Especially the combo with the GPS.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I have no problems with my stock F450 and with all the combo with the GPS reported problems I have held off buying the upgrade.. I hope they get the bugs worked out soon! it seems a fun add on if it was reliable.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
U2, that is weird.
But, I am wondering, if you suspect a lost control from a radio, how did you initiated the failsafe procedure. If you have lost control, you would lose the failsafe control too.

Damn it, I like Naza, but some dark clouds are coming over it. Especially the combo with the GPS.
http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip...rk-clouds.html
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, NV, Nye
Joined Jun 2012
167 Posts
What DJI Naza Assistant control software works to setup Naza with GPS. And can you post a link for the download,
STORMYWEATHER is offline Find More Posts by STORMYWEATHER
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
U2, that is weird.

You are paying attention. I wondered that too. Here's what I think. The first time I went out of range, and the machine went off on its own.

The second time I was range testing the machine. Not the T.J. way at that point, but by seeing if the props would turn. When I got out of range the machine was uncommanded and the motors spooled up enough to just slowly take off. I ran toward it to try to grab it before I got away. During my run toward it I decided to hit the failsafe switch. I had probably come into range again at that point and probably could have flown it! That is one explanation.

In thinking about it tonite a few minutes ago I realized the same thing you pointed out, that hitting the failsafe switch AFTER there was a lost signal was too late, like closing the gate after the horse was out. So I sat down and finally figured out how to program my old Futaba 9C so that it would go to failsafe if the signal was lost AND if I elected to push a switch. Where there is a will I guess there is a way. No credit to the Futaba manual at all.

I am not positive that the problem was in the RX because I tried two different RX's and had problems with both when I closed the antenna and walked about 100 feet away. But I have a third PCM RX on a heli where I can go MUCH further. So I think both that I tried on my Quad are suspect. I also think my baseload antenna, which was laying horizonal sideways and basically touching the battery power wiring, was poorly located. I fixed that by mounting it vertically away from the wiring and had a fine flight, staying very close in until I get another RX. The first thing I will do when I get the new RX is a T.J. style range check.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:43 PM
Iceland
Joined May 2012
99 Posts
Can someone recommend me a better motor for my F450? My rig currently weighs 2000 grams, that's more than recommended 1.6 grams maximum weight allowed.
GuerillaFilm is offline Find More Posts by GuerillaFilm
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post

I am wondering if my base loaded antenna is poorly positioned and getting some type of interference.

Next I tried an FM RX with the antenna strung around the frame. That didn't work at all. The motors spooled up on their own and acted erratically.

I'll try the motors off approach after I relocate the base load antenna on the original RX.
Must read for 72MHz users:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1702739

Just moving the antenna wire a few cm from the Naza can make a big range difference.
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
818 Posts
u r sick, GW, lol.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Jan 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
I have seen another post on this thread stating that failsafe "failed" and it just kept in altitude hold mode ....I believe the reason is that many RXs just hold their outputs at the last valid PWM point when losing RF signal(speak up if that is not the case...then NAZA really has a big problem)....in that case, you lose RF, you just stay in whatever flight mode...in those cases, ATTI mode...this would not be a problem with the flight controller...if you want failsafe to work, better have a failsafe capable RX....I use the the FrSky system with my 9x, but the non-sport Spektrums also have settable failsafes in RX...most JR and Fut RX do also..

some really low-end systems just stop outputting pulses altogether...I beleive the NAZA designers were trying to accomodate them by setting the acceptable ranges for MAN and ATTI modes to be so fricking narrow!

A bad mistake, in my opinion, given that many are having drift problems...I use a TH9x (reflashed to ER9x...making the best TX in world IMHO)...and REALLY carefully set my throws on the mode channel to center them in the middle of the MAN and ATTI acceptance ranges of the NAZA...

These are not low end toys and I believe that they should have targeted it for real failsfe RXs and have a narrow range for FAILSAFE, not for the normal modes...say 1.4-1.6ms for failsafe...
Well guys.. I am very sorry for that guy that lost his stuff, I am thinking to than could happen to me and I''l cry a bit.. because many of us put a lot $ in this hobby.. and the fact is many of us are not rich people.. so that lost hurt a lot.
In other hand I am very new into this, I have DJI NAZA since 3 months ago, and is the first thing that I ever flew in my life, till now dJI naza works great.. but I decide to use the best stuff as I can aford.. but in other way I don't want any failure in the air because I want to save money, I use tiger motor, with the original DJI ESC, I went cheap with my radio turnnigy 9x, but I flashed for the er9x, and now I got frsky telemetry and I set the fail safe in the rx..wich is good every time I flight I do test the failsafe,, now I am into FPV where I am lost.. I am not getting used to it, I don't know is I have to change the camera or better put another camera for FPV I am using the gopro for now, but every object seems to be more far than the real distance. this make me crazy.
luisgcu is offline Find More Posts by luisgcu
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:43 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
You are paying attention. I wondered that too. Here's what I think. The first time I went out of range, and the machine went off on its own.

The second time I was range testing the machine. Not the T.J. way at that point, but by seeing if the props would turn. When I got out of range the machine was uncommanded and the motors spooled up enough to just slowly take off. I ran toward it to try to grab it before I got away. During my run toward it I decided to hit the failsafe switch. I had probably come into range again at that point and probably could have flown it! That is one explanation.

In thinking about it tonite a few minutes ago I realized the same thing you pointed out, that hitting the failsafe switch AFTER there was a lost signal was too late, like closing the gate after the horse was out. So I sat down and finally figured out how to program my old Futaba 9C so that it would go to failsafe if the signal was lost AND if I elected to push a switch. Where there is a will I guess there is a way. No credit to the Futaba manual at all.

I am not positive that the problem was in the RX because I tried two different RX's and had problems with both when I closed the antenna and walked about 100 feet away. But I have a third PCM RX on a heli where I can go MUCH further. So I think both that I tried on my Quad are suspect. I also think my baseload antenna, which was laying horizonal sideways and basically touching the battery power wiring, was poorly located. I fixed that by mounting it vertically away from the wiring and had a fine flight, staying very close in until I get another RX. The first thing I will do when I get the new RX is a T.J. style range check.
...em...test it with the props off......
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:54 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehx View Post
Must read for 72MHz users:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1702739

Just moving the antenna wire a few cm from the Naza can make a big range difference.

Oh yeah, this explains it. Naza and Futaba 9C/PCM do not work together properly. I had exactly the same thing happen: OK range check with all my RX connected to servos, but really poor range check when connected to the machine, and very erratic behavior when I go out of range.

May have to FrySky module.