SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:17 PM
United States, NV, Nye
Joined Jun 2012
167 Posts
( trees and brush it was moving fast and really would have made a mess of a person! )

LOL
STORMYWEATHER is offline Find More Posts by STORMYWEATHER
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Thanks. I'll look into it once my heartrate goes down.

Now, I am sweating bullets. Big ones. I was venturing out a little further , and had just turned to come back front facing myself, and all of a sudden the little 450 started accelerating backwards away from me, about 25 feet high. With no controls, no come home working , no way to reduce throttle , no control at all, I watched it go about 400 feet, ever closer to the trees on the edge of my field. Eventually it slammed into them at a fairly good clip. Some leaves and branches dropped to the ground with the little 450. I was really freaked as I just broke a leg on it yesterday and I figured it was going to be in bad shape but it turned out to be fine, with just the GPS free of its sticky.

I decided I had better do a range check so I brought it back to the narrow place I launch from. I fired it up and all lights said GO. I don't know how to do a range check, so I decided to just turn the props on at idle and walk backward. Big mistake. I think I do have a range problem, because at about the same distance as before it spooled up and took off, again, out of control.

I don't have failsafe on the radio, but I do have it on a switch, so I clicked it on. What happened next totally freaked me out. It started climbing higher and higher, near the tops of the trees that were probably only 20' feet away on one side, and it sort of circled over my takeoff point, pretty close to the trees. Then it started to come down. And it landed. Right from where it took off. Wheew. Once I stopped shaking I realized it had executed a perfect failsafe. Problem was my launch point was much too close to the trees.

Once the sweating stops I guess I need to swap out the RX. But how the heck do you do a RANGE CHECK??? No ailerons or elevator or rudder to move.

This is another reason not to fly next to a crowd of people. When it went backwards into the trees and brush it was moving fast and really would have made a mess of a person!
I have never heard of such behavior!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
scary stuff U2b! I was wondering the same thing, how to range check these things. My plane I just walk away till servos start to twitch, I guess if you have a camera gimbal then maybe same thing? ( I have one)

I am flying FrSky 2.4 with my Futaba 9C and set up failsafe on the rx's for throttle about 70%, turned the radio off once with it hovering and it worked, also have the naza failsafe on a switch on the radio.

On another note, I want to run some 4S batteries (just ordered two 4000mah) on my 450, other than go back to 8" props, what else do I need to do to run 4S? I have never run them, but I am assuming that like my plane I have to put a BEC in place somewhere, or can I run 4S on the Naza just by plugging it in?
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, NV, Nye
Joined Jun 2012
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Yes, no PPM right now but it will support it in a few days. Should work fine since I am pretty sure WKM has it working already.
So I guess this photo was just a big teaser.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
Peter
Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Gothenburg
Joined Dec 2011
81 Posts
This is my next project. Do you guys think I can use Naza for it? Bullet connectors? E-props?
I wonder how it feels when hitting failsafe by mistake and the MC takes off 20m up in the air....

World's first manned flight with an electric multicopter (3 min 56 sec)
RolandGarros is offline Find More Posts by RolandGarros
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, NV, Nye
Joined Jun 2012
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
scary stuff U2b! I was wondering the same thing, how to range check these things. My plane I just walk away till servos start to twitch, I guess if you have a camera gimbal then maybe same thing? ( I have one)

I am flying FrSky 2.4 with my Futaba 9C and set up failsafe on the rx's for throttle about 70%, turned the radio off once with it hovering and it worked, also have the naza failsafe on a switch on the radio.

On another note, I want to run some 4S batteries (just ordered two 4000mah) on my 450, other than go back to 8" props, what else do I need to do to run 4S? I have never run them, but I am assuming that like my plane I have to put a BEC in place somewhere, or can I run 4S on the Naza just by plugging it in?
My Graupner MX-20 radio beeps when you loss the signal it also has a signal strength meter on the screen that shows the signal strength of the rx and the signal strenght of the TX'er at the RX'er along with the full loop connection speed thats how long it takes the signal to leave the hand unit tranciever and make contact with the rx'er transciever on the aircraft and back to the hand unit transciever so then you can divied that in half and you find out how quick the aircraft will respond to each command.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
USA, TX, Kilgore
Joined Apr 2010
601 Posts
Glenstr....You will have to go into the Assistant & change from 3s to 4s & set up the battery safe guards....simple...JJ
JJtr1954 is offline Find More Posts by JJtr1954
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
Range Check

1. Put airframe on ground and power up Naza. Switch to Atti (Yellow LED).
(You might want to wait until all red satellite LED flashes stop)
2. Walk away 50yds, 75 yds, 100yds (whatever you wish).
3. Switch to GPS (Green LED).
4. Then (just for fun) turn on Failsafe (Rapid Yellow LED)
(Do it with switch and not by turning off transmitter)
If you see the LED change from Yellow to Green and back to Fast Yellow, you should have a communicating trans/rec.
Correct?
I realize this is only one channel, but shouldn't you have them all if one's working?
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Aug 28, 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added comments to avoid confusion...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Hey all...

Ok, I hear you loud and clear and not only for my protect for the protection of others around me and of course this very new hobby area for all. I will now get back to doing what I had purchased this for...views of parks and areas not normally able to be photographed or seen by a normal passer by.

Not that it means anything...and I hope I would never need to use it...I do carry personal insurance of $1M knowing I would be flying it in some places, like RV parks, just in case.

Again...thank you all.
David Bott is offline Find More Posts by David Bott
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Hey all...

Ok, I hear you loud and clear and not only for my protect for the protection of others around me and of course this very new hobby area for all. I will now get back to doing what I had purchased this for...views of parks and areas not normally able to be photographed or seen by a normal passer by.

Not that it means anything...and I hope I would never need to use it...I do carry personal insurance of $1M knowing I would be flying it in some places, like RV parks, just in case.

Again...thank you all.
And get those motors replaced ASAP!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:06 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
That First Crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
And get those motors replaced ASAP!
His day's coming.
And the way he's flying, it's going to be soon...
Then he'll probably have to replace the Sunny Skies.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
His day's coming.
And the way he's flying, it's going to be soon...
Then he'll probably have to replace the Sunny Skies.
The sky's wont be so sunny that day!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
"And the way he's flying, it's going to be soon..."

So now I picture you guys just floating around like a hot air balloon with your quads.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
Flying Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
"And the way he's flying, it's going to be soon..."

So now I picture you guys just floating around like a hot air balloon with your quads.
To each his own, David.
From what I've seen of your flying, you've got a knack for it.
I'm happy for you.
You just don't seem to get that these craft are unpredictable.
That's all I'm trying to tell you.
And, yes, crashing is a part of all RC flying.
Read RCGroups.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
TJ ... Don't get me wrong...I totally get where you are coming from. And I do agree. The idea was to use it for nice footage. Don't really want to record a horor movie. So yes, I hear you. And yes, these are not perfect machines with backups like the rover hover crane.