HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:47 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,942 Posts
5 months ago I helped my uncle get into flying multirotors from 0 RC experience. His goal (like many) was to get a camera in the air!

this is his first attempt to make a AP video!
Westmont High School From the Air (2 min 51 sec)

flown with a Naza+GPS!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Yep, had my first "incident" today too. Got too bold and flew too far away and too high. Lost orientation and was heading for the trees on my narrow field so I had to put it down and I broke the tip of one of the legs. Out of business till I get a new leg and some "spares". More money to China. It was going so well too.

I am going to practice the "come home thing" on my next flight instead of trying to fly it when I can't see where it is going..
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2012
211 Posts
Well guys...I think I am finely close. I will not know until I am able to shoot some video tomorrow, but right now the quad looks good after I pulled it all apart and put it all back.

This video is NOT for the faint of heart. I am flying in small area between motor coaches and also bring the quad right to me and my wife a few times. My wife is shooting the video. This video was only shot after 3 other 6000mhz batteries were used in tweaking and was flown HARD by me to be sure, well as sure as you can be, it was behaving. (More or less I said...Darn, I forgot to get a video for the guys. My wife said, we do have to go to the open field again...so...well...we did not.) The video camera was zoom in slightly, so it actually looks closer then it was. Not saying it was not close though. But my wife did not yell or anything.

After remoing all gear and putting it all back (1 min 51 sec)
David Bott is offline Find More Posts by David Bott
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
You're scaring the woman in the background.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
As someone who was recently injured by a multirotor, I must say your video makes me cringe. Nice flying though.

Russ
rampa202 is offline Find More Posts by rampa202
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
You're scaring the woman in the background.
That was a man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa202 View Post
As someone who was recently injured by a multirotor, I must say your video makes me cringe. Nice flying though.

Russ
Totally understood. Not something I would recommend for sure.
David Bott is offline Find More Posts by David Bott
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:17 PM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
Camera mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
I am all for what "Manual says", but before boiling it, I tried and it snap inside fairly easy, it leveled it self with the back of the plastic, so there was no need for trip to the stove.
I would be interetsed to know If you are not using the gopro case how are you mounting the camera. I have just started with the quads and now have the gorpo hard mounted to the front using the case and supplied clips. It actually works well and I have now just completed setting it up for FPV. I like the idea of removing some of the wait and would appreciate knowing how you managed it.

Dave
Birdman4498 is offline Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:35 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,195 Posts
I Think He's Got It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
That was a man!

Totally understood. Not something I would recommend for sure.
So taking the rig apart and reassembling made that much difference?
That is great!
That's how most Naza rigs fly (or better).
Something had to not be connected well.
Now that you're experienced with assembly, you should consider building your own in the future...
Congratulations!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:39 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,195 Posts
Naked GoPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman4498 View Post
I would be interetsed to know If you are not using the gopro case how are you mounting the camera. I have just started with the quads and now have the gorpo hard mounted to the front using the case and supplied clips. It actually works well and I have now just completed setting it up for FPV. I like the idea of removing some of the wait and would appreciate knowing how you managed it.

Dave
Apparently you're not averse to a rigid mount, so...
Mount it kind of like you would a battery.
Sticky backed velcro in strategic places not covering up access to camera controls.
Hold that down with a velcro or elastic strap.
Check out recent posts about LayerLens...
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:43 PM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
Thanks TJ, I followed the link to the LayerLens and it looks okay, that's what prompted my question. I suppose there is no reason not to mount it like a battery if the lens is protected. I will give it a try. Thanks again.

Dave
Birdman4498 is offline Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Flew my quad into some trees tonight. I narrowly missed hitting myself at high speed. Damn dog had to do something dumb at the wrong moment and I got distracted. I literally had to hit the deck to avoid a collision. Please remember not to do what I do and keep your attention on your flying machine. I broke a prop and almost lost my gopro. Not a fun afternoon.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:47 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,942 Posts
putting yourself at risk is fine....

its just when others are put at risk that there is an issue!

Glad you didnt get hit!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
So I shouldn't chase small children around the park screaming "I'm going to chop your head off!!"?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,195 Posts
Safety Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Well guys...I think I am finely close. I will not know until I am able to shoot some video tomorrow, but right now the quad looks good after I pulled it all apart and put it all back.

This video is NOT for the faint of heart. I am flying in small area between motor coaches and also bring the quad right to me and my wife a few times. My wife is shooting the video. This video was only shot after 3 other 6000mhz batteries were used in tweaking and was flown HARD by me to be sure, well as sure as you can be, it was behaving. (More or less I said...Darn, I forgot to get a video for the guys. My wife said, we do have to go to the open field again...so...well...we did not.) The video camera was zoom in slightly, so it actually looks closer then it was. Not saying it was not close though. But my wife did not yell or anything.

http://youtu.be/2cxhvNbXtdE
If I were her, I wouldn't have yelled either.
I'd have been running hard in a direction away from you...

Have your wife read this one, and she'll make you behave!
There's a guy in a club west of here who flies control line competitively.
One day he talked his wife into going with him to fly to assist by holding the plane.
He got his model started and running, turned holding it over to his wife, and proceeded to walk out to the center of the control line circle.
As he was walking, he noticed what looked like a sausage roll past his foot.
He hollered over his shoulder to his wife and asked, "Are you eating a hotdog?"
She hollered back, "No, I think that was my finger!"
She learned the hard way about rotating props.
These toys of ours really aren't that at all.
Don't develop a false sense of security about model aircraft.
They will always be somewhat unpredictable.
Please be careful...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Aug 27, 2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added comments