HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:59 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
dedfish: I had a quad that would have a glitch every now and then. After much hair pulling I finally tracked it to a particular battery. I replaced the (factory installed) connector and the problem disappeared.
Had another that got occasionally twitchy after a crash. Tracked it to one ESC, nothing I could see. Just re-did the battery to ESC solder joints and that fixed it.
I'll start flying my batteries in a particular order just to see if there is a correlation. I'm going to head out in a few minutes to fly, part of me wants the problem to happen again so I can try and figure out what the cause is. I don't like problems that seem to randomly come and go.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
I'll start flying my batteries in a particular order just to see if there is a correlation. I'm going to head out in a few minutes to fly, part of me wants the problem to happen again so I can try and figure out what the cause is. I don't like problems that seem to randomly come and go.
"problems that seem to randomly come and go" Welcome to the world of NAZA!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,442 Posts
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
"problems that seem to randomly come and go" Welcome to the world of NAZA!
+1
Right you are...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Okay:
I know it's hard to get a windless situation, but for tuning as accurate as you want, I'd recommend NO wind.
I fly from a windy hilltop, and usually have to be there at dawn to get ideal conditions wind-wise.
You need to not be having to input anything with your right hand for a few seconds to observe just how much yaw rebound, whatever, you're getting.
TahoeEd suggested for the F450 (which I have) that you start with:
140/140/140/140
100/100
Right now, I'm at:
150/150/150/150
100/100
I've read, I think, that the F550 requires even higher gain settings, but that might not be true for your airframe with the underslung gear.
Search for that or PM TahoeEd...

FWIW, your positioning is pretty good for Naza. That rebound could be the twitch you are supposed to see when a gain is a little too high. See what Ed thinks.
Good Luck
Thanks TJ. I've recently modded my craft, and the Yaw issue has all but abated.
sirnumbskull is offline Find More Posts by sirnumbskull
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,442 Posts
Glad You Succeeded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnumbskull View Post
Thanks TJ. I've recently modded my craft, and the Yaw issue has all but abated.
You were already very close...
Have Fun!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Aug 17, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
It happened again. This time it hit the ground so hard that it ejected the battery and gopro. I'm checking the video now. I'm starting to really think it's a motor, the one on arm 1. I'm going to swap the front motors and see if the direction changes. I'm not sure if I have video of it, the file might be corrupt. The gopro was held on with a velcro strap that broke and when it hit the ground the sdcard ejected.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Nope that file didn't save right and it won't open. Unfortunately I couldn't check the receiver LED since the battery got disconnected.

Oh and I lost my moon gel!! It's the end of the world I tell you!!
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
Nope that file didn't save right and it won't open. Unfortunately I couldn't check the receiver LED since the battery got disconnected.

Oh and I lost my moon gel!! It's the end of the world I tell you!!
WOW! sounds like your bad motor realy S$%^&D you well!. Lost your moon jell huh?. Well that would piss me off big time!. Motors are cheap order a new one today!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,442 Posts
Don't go Mayan on us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
Nope that file didn't save right and it won't open. Unfortunately I couldn't check the receiver LED since the battery got disconnected.

Oh and I lost my moon gel!! It's the end of the world I tell you!!
Sounds like you're at least down in one piece.
You're brave risking the GoPro in testing.
I have a dummy camera for test runs...
Have you ordered some spare motors?
Might need to consider it, if that's how you are thinking...
You'll still get a chance to check the LED just for safety's sake.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined May 2009
52 Posts
Naza in Nor Cal / Bay Area

Just checking to see who in Bay Area (Northern CA) may be flying naza and who may fly at baylands or similar on weekends. Looking for help/advice on my setup. Thx
networkit is offline Find More Posts by networkit
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:50 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Yes, I need to order a new motor or two. I was hoping someone with an extra dozen or six would want to part with a few but I guess I'll have to order some at retail price.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
Yes, I need to order a new motor or two. I was hoping someone with an extra dozen or six would want to part with a few but I guess I'll have to order some at retail price.
Yes it sounds like you may have to. The good news is the dj motors are cheap! if ya shop around you can get em for close to $20.00 + shipping. Or you can do what I did order in bulk you get a discount when buying 50 or more at one time.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
Don't drink and fly
Exploding Fist's Avatar
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
50 at once? Seems excessive.

I suppose you could use the spares for other things. I've always wanted to build a high powered mini fan with one. 10 inch props at full throttle. Whoooosh.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:03 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Yes it sounds like you may have to. The good news is the dj motors are cheap! if ya shop around you can get em for close to $20.00 + shipping. Or you can do what I did order in bulk you get a discount when buying 50 or more at one time.
I guess I will have to order at retail. I can't afford to buy 50+ motors to get a discount. Are you sure you don't want to part with some of the 75 that you have?
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
It happened again. This time it hit the ground so hard that it ejected the battery and gopro. I'm checking the video now. I'm starting to really think it's a motor, the one on arm 1. I'm going to swap the front motors and see if the direction changes. I'm not sure if I have video of it, the file might be corrupt. The gopro was held on with a velcro strap that broke and when it hit the ground the sdcard ejected.
If you swap the motors at least when it crashes again you will have matching dents!.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI WooKong-M Autopilot System for multirotors **Owners Thread** DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Electronics 19926 Today 07:57 PM
New Product MultiWiiCopter "MiniWii" FC - Cheap, small 6DOF FC JussiH Multirotor Talk 707 Jan 01, 2013 08:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 11:43 AM
New Product United Hobbies FC 28-05 & FC 28-22 brushless outrunners $5.95 ea. JawaSnack Hot Online Deals 9 Jul 17, 2007 10:31 AM
Futaba FC-18 teacher to FC-16 pupil problem . jmquetin Radios 5 Nov 02, 2004 06:48 AM