Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:53 AM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troiano27 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

The thing that keeps bothering me, is I just spent $550 for the kit, have spent another $100 or so in replacemt parts, and am looking at another $100 or so in parts to swap out. The kit never flew correct from the get go. Is it alway chalked up to being the purchasers error?
I would say that if you had bought your components here and there and put them together to scratch build a multi, then it would be purchasers error.
BUT, you bought an ARF with all their components that are supposed to work together and there is a weak or non-working component failure, then you should have some good customer support that resolves the problem. How could the problems your having be deemed a faulty setting? You should get replacement service....DJI does not have a 100% track record on their components.
I would rattle the dealers cage until I got it resolved.
mewert is online now Find More Posts by mewert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:24 AM
Australia, WA, Bunbury
Joined Jan 2011
50 Posts
Problem with F450 and Naza Controller

Hi,
A few months ago i purchased a DJI F450 ARF kit and then later bought the Naza GPS upgrade. I have been flying it with a completely stock configuration with all gains at default settings and it's been working really well. It might have as many as 50 hours of flight time on it.

Recently however, the last few times i have tried to fly it, within a few minutes of flight time it has suddenly and violently flipped 180 and crashed into the ground at high speed.

Nothing has been broken except a few propellers which are easily replaced. but 3x in a row it has crashed very suddenly.. flying very stable then the sudden and violent flip.. Once it happened when i was 100 feet up and it would have been bad except that it landed in a bush and was undamaged.

I did not observe any instability or twitching it just flips over without warning. The motors all start when you re-issue the start command

what could be the cause of this ?

regards,
Michael
slaterm61 is offline Find More Posts by slaterm61
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:52 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troiano27 View Post
I've sent the video to my dealer,and he has asked me to forward it to someone at DJI. He believes I might have a Naza Issue.

Yes I am over 5 feet from the ground.

I'm currently using Tahoe Ed's gain settings recommendation. Saturday I did some gain adjustments, starting with Eds, then back to default, and all parts,in between. Ed's recommendation was the best handling.

I've mostly done hovering with out and back or left to right flying. It would handle ok with the slight jerking. But the flipping out has become more and more. It's gotten to the point where its too unstable to fly. I can't trust it to fly around people or property. I'm hoping th guys at DJI will have some suggestions.

Since I had to buy a 2nd frame, I'm going to take it apart, and use the new bottom board, and solder it all up again. Maybe it's a board issue. Maybe it's a motor issue, or esc, but this is a brand new kit, I don't think I should have to buy a case of motors, to get it flying correct. I bought the kit, plus gps, 2 extra motors (1 of which arrived bad), and extra esc, and now a frame kit. Does everyone go through this expense, just to get it flying well enough to put a camera gimbal on it? Something isn't right.
Can you get a temperature gun and check all your motors just after flying, that will be easy to point the one that is hotter and then start with that. I findout 1 bad motor that was 60% hotter then others. Also check the heat of ESC, it may point to a problem too. This is my 2 cents.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:07 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Better question... what have YOU (not TJ, the guy with the problems) done to try and fix it? With as much time as you have taken to film, post, and ask questions I assume you have tried MANY different gain settings since that can be done in the time it takes to upload one video.
Be nice now
That was nice. My point is that he took the time to upload a video and then more time to make a post about it and with that several people will have to take time to watch the video and then time to post about it, when it's just a gain problem he already knows about. Wouldn't it be faster for EVERYONE involved if he flew for 1 minute and YAW'd to see oscillations... landed and adjusted the gains higher, then fly again and Yaw... if it was better then raise gains or worse and lower gains or perfect and just fly. Every single aircraft is different, even the stock ARF DJI kits. Batteries, layout, wind, and probably even altitude above sea level will affect gains. There is no "magic number" only a number that works for your craft in your flying conditions. Now if he has tried all gains up and down the dial in different combinations then I could see cause for concern and post.

I'm not trying to be an ass about it and I will be the first to admit I too have brain farts from time to time and ask dumb questions, I was just making sure he has tried everything he knows to try before asking "What should my gains be?".

Once again, just wanting to know what he has tried before we all say "try this number" because if he is having a real problem he should have already tried that "number" before posting.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:12 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Evergem
Joined Nov 2011
738 Posts
Received my Naza today. Wired everything, configged and up in the air. Took almost no time. And it flies so great.
Jessestr is offline Find More Posts by Jessestr
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Anyone, any suggestions for the question on posts 11774 and 11775 (last ones from the previous page).

Thx.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:46 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,016 Posts
Best guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
Anyone, any suggestions for the question on posts 11774 and 11775 (last ones from the previous page).

Thx.
I don't know this from experience, but...
The Naza manual says to increase vertical gain if altitude is lost during forward motion.
It's on page 19 and 20 under Basic Parameters.
Perhaps start with 10% increases as all suggest.
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jul 31, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:31 PM
UK, Basingstoke and Deane, Tadley
Joined Feb 2011
46 Posts
Just added a video of my NAZA GPS to my YouTube channel, thought I would post it in here, I was looking to do RTH and position hold testing, very pleased with the results

DJI NAZA GPS Return To Home & Position Hold Test (8 min 31 sec)

Regards

Martin.
martint_1976 is offline Find More Posts by martint_1976
Last edited by martint_1976; Aug 02, 2012 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I don't know this from experience, but...
The Naza manual says to increase vertical gain if altitude is lost during forward motion.
It's on page 19 and 20 under Basic Parameters.
Perhaps start with 10% increases as all suggest.
Damn it, and I thought I went all over that manual. Thank you, TJ. I will definitely try that, and put more attention to the manual.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:05 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,016 Posts
Read That Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
Damn it, and I thought I went all over that manual. Thank you, TJ. I will definitely try that, and put more attention to the manual.
You're a GOOD man!
Study, study, study...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jul 31, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
15 Posts
Hi there, I am looking for suggestions as I have just bought the F450 with the Naza box but have yet to figure out an alternative transmitter system because I only have use of one arm and would like to use a joystick...but I am not familiar with what type of RC- PC programs (if that is even a possiblity) to use in combination with the Joystick or if there is a less complicated way I am open to any suggestions as theis entire hobby is new but would like to get started and could use some assistance if anyone here is willing to help?
Musictree is offline Find More Posts by Musictree
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:14 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictree View Post
Hi there, I am looking for suggestions as I have just bought the F450 with the Naza box but have yet to figure out an alternative transmitter system because I only have use of one arm and would like to use a joystick...but I am not familiar with what type of RC- PC programs (if that is even a possiblity) to use in combination with the Joystick or if there is a less complicated way I am open to any suggestions as theis entire hobby is new but would like to get started and could use some assistance if anyone here is willing to help?

GimpGear Ultimate Arcade Quadriplegic RC Controllerhttp://www.broadenedhorizons.com/ultimatearcade.htm
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:15 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,016 Posts
Radio Manufacturers

Quote:
Why don't you contact Tower Hobbies (Futaba) and Horizon Hobby (Spektrum/JR).
I'll bet they have some experience with supplying transmitter work-arounds for individuals with your situation.
That being said, with Naza in Atti Mode I sometimes rest my left hand away from the stick letting altitude hold do that function, and steer around using my right hand.
So, you could carefully fly Naza one handed in a restricted area and not endanger yourself or others.
Go for it!
And good luck!
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:32 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
Quote:
You might try to find a single stick transmitter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-FP-t8...item27c9add827
I found this. Custom transmitter work, including single stick.
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/custom_work.htm
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Last edited by MorrisM; Jul 31, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:54 PM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
I am building a Gaui 330xs with the NAZA FC & today tried to programme the ESC's throttle settings using my DX8/AR8000 setup. If I programme the ESC's with the default, DX8 min/max throttle settings which are -100% to +100% (which worked fine with my NAZA/F450 quad), then reapply power to the ESC being programmed (connected to the Rx not the NAZA), the motors only start to turn at about 25% stick & max-out at around 75% stick (with no prop's).

When I then reconnect the 4 x ESC's to the NAZA & power-up (using the 'sticks down/left' power-up sequence to initiate motor on) only two of the motors start to turn until I significantly advance the throttle - which I suppose is not surprising given the earlier data.

So the question is - when I programme the ESC's with the DX8, should I increase the servo travel (on the DX8) to a wider value such as +/- 150% for example (that's the maximum)?

Has anyone else successfully gone through this process with the Scorpion ESC/motors & DX8?

FYI: I have a successful F450, I have programmed the NAZA using the v1.6 assistant & on the Gaui ESC's I HAVE removed the red BEC wires.
This was a case of 'operator error'. When calibrating the Gaui ESC's I was waiting for the musical tone sequence before dropping the throttle to zero. This is incorrect (& thank you to someone else on the Gaui thread for mentioning this). If you hear the musical tone sequence, you have waited too long. You have to wait for the monotone beeps which happen almost immediately on power-up then immediately drop the throttle to zero.

Having done that, the ESC's/Motors appear to be behaving as expected. Hopefully tomorrow I may get to have a first test flight.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70