HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Please give us the details about your setup.
Several of us have been trying to help you with only minimal information.
I don't think you want us just stabbing in the dark trying to fix this.
Your filmed behavior could be caused by several things.
Is your setup stock Naza/Flamewheel?
What ESC's/motors are you using?
What mode are you flying in (Atti I assume)?
You keep dipping in low to the ground and flying through ground effect.
That causes wobbling.
That does not help us judge what is happening.
You have yet to tell us what your present gains settings are...
Better question... what have YOU (not TJ, the guy with the problems) done to try and fix it? With as much time as you have taken to film, post, and ask questions I assume you have tried MANY different gain settings since that can be done in the time it takes to upload one video.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Better question... what have YOU (not TJ, the guy with the problems) done to try and fix it? With as much time as you have taken to film, post, and ask questions I assume you have tried MANY different gain settings since that can be done in the time it takes to upload one video.
Be nice now
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:44 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
edited
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Last edited by flyboy321; Aug 02, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
165 Posts
Ok, totally took my F550 back to parts. Disassembled completely. I had another bottom board, and started fresh on that.

Took back out for a test flight, seemed to fly better, but still same issue. That was until I lost a motor.

Went back home and put in my spare. Took it back out, and still had same issue. Flew for about 2 min, and the craft took a dive to the right, and crashed. Was in long grass, and only from about 5 or 6 feet off the ground. Went to start again, and this time another motor was out. Feeling the temp off all the motors, barely warm, except for the one that went out, it was too hot to touch.

So now I'm out of spare motors, have to wait to get paid to order a few more. So far still displaying the same issues as the video I posted earlier today.
Troiano27 is offline Find More Posts by Troiano27
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troiano27 View Post
Ok, totally took my F550 back to parts. Disassembled completely. I had another bottom board, and started fresh on that.

Took back out for a test flight, seemed to fly better, but still same issue. That was until I lost a motor.

Went back home and put in my spare. Took it back out, and still had same issue. Flew for about 2 min, and the craft took a dive to the right, and crashed. Was in long grass, and only from about 5 or 6 feet off the ground. Went to start again, and this time another motor was out. Feeling the temp off all the motors, barely warm, except for the one that went out, it was too hot to touch.

So now I'm out of spare motors, have to wait to get paid to order a few more. So far still displaying the same issues as the video I posted earlier today.
SEE! now you know why I baught a half a case of motors!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
SEE! now you know why I baught a half a case of motors!
Recommendation on best place to order half a case of motors?
Troiano27 is offline Find More Posts by Troiano27
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troiano27 View Post
Recommendation on best place to order half a case of motors?
http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplay...i-copter+Parts
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:47 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
mark_q's Avatar
Joined Sep 2003
3,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troiano27 View Post
Ok, totally took my F550 back to parts. Disassembled completely. I had another bottom board, and started fresh on that.

Took back out for a test flight, seemed to fly better, but still same issue. That was until I lost a motor.

Went back home and put in my spare. Took it back out, and still had same issue. Flew for about 2 min, and the craft took a dive to the right, and crashed. Was in long grass, and only from about 5 or 6 feet off the ground. Went to start again, and this time another motor was out. Feeling the temp off all the motors, barely warm, except for the one that went out, it was too hot to touch.

So now I'm out of spare motors, have to wait to get paid to order a few more. So far still displaying the same issues as the video I posted earlier today.

In ten years of electric flight and literally hundreds of set-ups, I can count on on hand the number of motor failures I've had. A couple threw magnets which is noisy and immediate and one let the smoke out because it was severely overpropped (on purpose). I have had overheating motors too when the ESC was incompatible or has failed or the timming is wrong but nothing just "went out" as you say.

So help us out here, what is "went out" with your motors? If it is heat, do you have bad bearings? (They would be noisy!) If one motor is hot have you swapped ESC's? or checked the motor timing? Does it shreek on start up?

Just trying to understand how we can help...
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
In ten years of electric flight and literally hundreds of set-ups, I can count on on hand the number of motor failures I've had. A couple threw magnets which is noisy and immediate and one let the smoke out because it was severely overpropped (on purpose). I have had overheating motors too when the ESC was incompatible or has failed or the timming is wrong but nothing just "went out" as you say.

So help us out here, what is "went out" with your motors? If it is heat, do you have bad bearings? (They would be noisy!) If one motor is hot have you swapped ESC's? or checked the motor timing? Does it shreek on start up?

Just trying to understand how we can help...
I appriciate all the help I've been getting from the members around here.

When I'm saying I've had 4 motors go out, 2 of the 4, when hooked to an esc, will give maybe a quarter turn every few seconds. While the other 2 will do nothing.

When I was flying, there was no audible indication that anything was wrong, no visual indication anything was wrong. Other then the sporadic way t was flying.

I just got off the phone with my dealer, and he is baffled by all the issues I've been having.

My kit is a stock DJI Naza + Gps rtf f550 kit. Stock esc, stock motors, stock props.

Mark, the statement you made "In ten years of electric flight and literally hundreds of set-ups......" I feel like you are reassuring the feeling I've had, that something is incorrect with my kit. I've followed precise directions for set up, and these are the results I've had. All the while I see daily post from people with little to no issues.
Troiano27 is offline Find More Posts by Troiano27
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:04 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
mark_q's Avatar
Joined Sep 2003
3,487 Posts
Basically you want to try and rule out one component at a time. Start with the motors as they are fairly simple.

1st pull the bells off all four motors and see that all the magnets are there, solidly mounted and positioned evenly.

2nd find yourself another ESC, preferably a different brand and see if they all arm, tone and spin the same.

3rd, get a hold of a watt meter and test all four with the one ESC and the same prop to see if they are all pulling the same current. A bonus here would be to scope the RPM too.

This will show you if there are differences in any motor. Current and RPM should be within 2% or 3% different between any two motors given the same battery voltage. You'll have to throw your batts on a charger a bunch to do all this but it will tell you if it is the motors.

Here is a picture of a bench test result I did some time ago on a pair of Turnigy SK motors and you can see they are pretty evenly matched.

Good luck!
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:11 AM
Registered User
israel
Joined Jun 2003
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
My F450 does the same thing I wonder if its just a motor or ESC? I will replace all my motors and see if the problem goes away
I have also same thing that ended with flip, one of simonk rctimer Esc 30A dead,motor is rctimer 2830\11 1000 kv and tried also Aeolian 2830 850kv prop 10X4.5 and Grapner 10x5, lipo 3300 3S.

Moti
moti is online now Find More Posts by moti
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:24 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
1,231 Posts
Simonk vs DJI 30A. Both support 400hz but which one is better in-terms of performance and reliability? Anyone had a chance to compare the 2 with the NAZA?
Thanks.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Basically you want to try and rule out one component at a time. Start with the motors as they are fairly simple.

1st pull the bells off all four motors and see that all the magnets are there, solidly mounted and positioned evenly.

2nd find yourself another ESC, preferably a different brand and see if they all arm, tone and spin the same.

3rd, get a hold of a watt meter and test all four with the one ESC and the same prop to see if they are all pulling the same current. A bonus here would be to scope the RPM too.

This will show you if there are differences in any motor. Current and RPM should be within 2% or 3% different between any two motors given the same battery voltage. You'll have to throw your batts on a charger a bunch to do all this but it will tell you if it is the motors.

Here is a picture of a bench test result I did some time ago on a pair of Turnigy SK motors and you can see they are pretty evenly matched.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice.

The thing that keeps bothering me, is I just spent $550 for the kit, have spent another $100 or so in replacemt parts, and am looking at another $100 or so in parts to swap out. The kit never flew correct from the get go. Is it alway chalked up to being the purchasers error?
Troiano27 is offline Find More Posts by Troiano27
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
Registered User
pajonate's Avatar
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Naza gurus,
another owner (me) needs your expert advice.

I have a DIY H quad with rctimer motors, 10x45 props, HK Plush 18A (no SimonK).

Settings:
-pitch-100%
-Roll-100%
-Yaw-100%
Vertical-120%
Attitude Gain (Pitch and Roll)-100%

Everything works fine, nice hovers, small vibrations noticed on the video, but almost non existent. Motors are balanced, props too. Vibes might be coming from the prop adapters.
Anyhow, my issue:
when in hover (atti mode), and I push the pitch for a fast forward, the quad pitches as expected, keeps the altitude and fast forward for 5-10 yards, and then it starts a fast descend. The descend is sudden, even the sound of the motors is getting changed, like when someone lowers the throttle (which i am not). So I have to push the throttle up to recover form the drop, which makes the flying weird.

Any advice what might be an issue, and what to change?
I will try to post a video to show the behavior.

BTW, if I push the pitch lightly, I don't get the problem, but then the movement forward is like walking, where I need a bit faster. I need this in Attitude mode, cause I am preparing this for FPV and then I would not be able to get very far if I have to pitch lightly, lol.

Thanks for reading
Pajo
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Last edited by pajonate; Jul 31, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:40 AM
Registered User
pajonate's Avatar
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Here is the video, and the behavior I was talking about can be seen at 1:25 and more severely at 3:50

Naza DIY quad (6 min 52 sec)
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI WooKong-M Autopilot System for multirotors **Owners Thread** DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Electronics 20064 Dec 12, 2014 07:19 AM
New Product MultiWiiCopter "MiniWii" FC - Cheap, small 6DOF FC JussiH Multirotor Talk 707 Jan 01, 2013 09:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 12:43 PM
New Product United Hobbies FC 28-05 & FC 28-22 brushless outrunners $5.95 ea. JawaSnack Hot Online Deals 9 Jul 17, 2007 11:31 AM
Futaba FC-18 teacher to FC-16 pupil problem . jmquetin Radios 5 Nov 02, 2004 07:48 AM