HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:25 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,793 Posts
That's interesting re. the 'warm up' time on the Phantom. My Naza generally gets full GPS lock in about 30 secs, often less. I sometimes have to wait for the green flashes (heading recorded) before taking off! Never noticed any drifting etc. issues.

I assume the Phantom has slightly different firmware running on the same hardware. Wonder if they will revise the 'normal' Naza firmware?
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:39 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
@BillGlover

The Phantom warm-up surely eliminates (apparently) all the woes we've seen concerning start-up and early flight.
When the Naza FC signals it's ready to fly, everything is rock solid.
I think the warm-up feature was introduced to keep the RTF type newbies from hurting themselves or their airframe.
FWIW:
No TBE
No compass declination
No initial "drift"
etc....

I surely wouldn't mind the next firmware update including it.
I generally always sit at launch point until I at least see the rapid green CL confirmation.
You never know...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:49 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,141 Posts
Jello Effect reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerxer View Post
I uploaded a video that has, within the description, a method for setting proper voltage values within the Naza Assistant software--without having to guess. Using this method may help to maximize your flight time. I say "may" because you'll have to judge for yourself. All I can say, is that I have used this method and it has extended MY flight time. You will have to watch the video within YouTube to access the "description." Try it, you'll like it! Please give me some feedback as to what you think/results! The video has some "jello," however I have since upgraded my DJI F450 with some Xoar beechwood props that I carefully balanced and some Tiger Motor MT2216 10 900Kv motors. Since this upgrade, the resulting videos on my GoPro Hero 2 have been jello-free and great! The second video, below, was taken after the upgrade.

http://youtu.be/EmSedL0K62U

http://youtu.be/Y7jz3GfPhrU

Here is a link to my YouTube channel so that you may read the above description. Look for the "How To...Voltage" video. Please subscribe to my channel while you're there!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikerxer
VERY NICE so question other than change the props and motors, was there anthing else you did different from the previous installation? For instance did you test and balance the new motors before installation? Where the previous DJI motors? Reason I ask is I find their bearing are not the best giving side and end play after some usage. I have new "grade 5" bearings on order that have a .015 using the Annular Bearings Engineers Committee” (ABEC) scale.

BTW for all looking at these posts I am currently flying a DJI F450, stock motors, ESC, NANZ-M w/ GPS and the NEW 10x3.8 DJI props. These new props are great, stiff, tough, and cheap ($13.99 USD) for set of four.
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:01 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
That's correct.
I was not clear on when the CL heading is recorded.

I've been experimenting with the Phantom.
Ed has too, so I'm providing him an alibi as well...
It has a built-in warm-up at initialization.
If you get in the habit of observing that prerequisite to flying, all the other amenities get taken care of.
Warm-up takes from 60 to 180 seconds on average...
Thanks for covering my a$$. So many versions of the software and only so much time. Eventually the software will be consolidated but not yet. Personally I don't like the warmup period of the the Phantom. I have been able to fly my Naza's without it for quite some time now without ill effect. Even in moderate temps, 40-50's, 3 min is required at a minimum.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:32 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Thanks for covering my a$$. So many versions of the software and only so much time. Eventually the software will be consolidated but not yet. Personally I don't like the warmup period of the the Phantom. I have been able to fly my Naza's without it for quite some time now without ill effect. Even in moderate temps, 40-50's, 3 min is required at a minimum.
Hey Ed,

I too don't like the warm-up wait, especially after more than a decade with "Instant-on" electric planes. What I have found though is my Naza does work better if I let it sit for three or four minutes on a pre-flight battery so I have changed parts of my set up routine to adjust for this wait time. So, I don't really wait now as it is warming up while I am setting other stuff (charger, chair, toolbox, etc) up.
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:49 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
@Ed and mark_q

I don't necessarily like the wait, but it seems to be a benefit.
I'm not going to complain too much about something that works.
When I get back to flying the F450 and F550 more regularly, I plan to see if some extra wait time eliminates the small amount of erratic flight I initially see.
I usually lift off right after I see the CL rapid green LED flash...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:02 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,738 Posts
Short video in my serie "Candle Naza in the wind", from our last trip in the mountains, nothing out of the ordinary, apart the outrageous amount of snow we have around here this winter

(Place is : Romeyere pass, Vercors mountains, french Alps, France, Europe, Earth)

Quadcopter - 25/02/2013 - Col de Romeyere (2 min 19 sec)

And not really Naza related, but anyway, there's a sweet octocopter in the newest Devin Graham video here :
(Jump to 8:00)

Behind The Scenes - Insane Canyon Rope Swing (14 min 30 sec)
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Mar 01, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,245 Posts
If anyone is still confused about NAZA IOS, this little video really solidified my understanding

naza gps ioc info (8 min 37 sec)
v00d0o is offline Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:54 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,869 Posts
Wow what a thread!! I just picked up my first quad second-hand from a member on this site. It's an HT-FPV frame with DJI Naza. I am loving it! I have taken some videos both onboard and from the ground. I am loving this thing and love flying it. I've got about 20 flights on it now.

Here's a couple vids I took - I have realized I need to build an aerobatic quad too! From what I hear the Naza might not be best suited for aerobatics...

From the other day:
Quad Flying (2 min 32 sec)

And an onboard - one of my first few flights so not too smooth, but whatever :
HoverThings FPV quad doing some flips and rolls. (3 min 29 sec)

I have more reading to do!!!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Last edited by TurboRacer; Mar 02, 2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:22 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,738 Posts
Thats some quality piloting, nice display of the Naza manual mode.
First quad, but I guess not your first rotor machine ?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:37 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I parked my NAZA F450 next to my new jet! you can really see the size difference! My wife said size really does matter!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:07 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Video of you flying the jet?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:13 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Video of you flying the jet?
I still haven't got my FAA waver! apparently someone gave the FAA a heads up about my jet! They are worried about public safety if I fly the thing.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:22 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Why do you think I want the video? Will be a combination of the TV show Americas Funniest Home Videos and Destroyed In Seconds.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:02 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,738 Posts
Or Seconds From Disaster

Really , you need a permit or something in there ?
Go fly the damn thing !!