Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:37 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diazapamjam View Post
Telling somebody to RTFM is rude .
I thought I'd stay out of this but here are my 2 cents:

I work with people all over the globe and most communication is written. I've seen it a hundred times a conversation went bad because someone is reading it not the way the other end wanted it been understood. So, when I write, I read it back to myself and check if this could be somehow misunderstood. Especially if there are different cultures involved. I think this what happens in a forum like this quite a lot.

Anyway, when I read "RTFM" for the first time in this thread, and I was not the one addressed to, I found it rude, too. And it's in capital letters, that means shouted.
Now, it's a different story because I've seen the picture of that pilot doing his homework a little late and get the joke. But folks, there are first timers not knowing that you are great guys just trying to help.
And to the newcomers: don't be offended too quickly, think: maybe that's how they make jokes around here.

btw, my kids get in trouble when the call me old. I'm not. Really.
1ooo0aks is offline Find More Posts by 1ooo0aks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:41 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Voltage protection

Question:
What do you guys do with the voltage protection when you're flying fpv?
To me, it doesn't make any sense because you can't really see it but could be
taken by surprise when the Naza decides it's time to land ( in the woods or worse: water ), so I turned mine off. Any suggestions?
1ooo0aks is offline Find More Posts by 1ooo0aks
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
Hey 1000Oaks
I liked your video
Your "jello" effects can be greatly reduced or even totally eliminated by using well balanced Graupners or the new GemFan 10x4 woodies. They don't flex like many of the SF props out there.
High Frequency vibration is the main cause of the "Jello" by interfering with the GoPro's rolling shutter.

Regards
Bernd

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x4 Gemfan Woodies Props / GoPro Hero HD2
Fat Shark Predator V2 FPV
AUW 3S-4000mah = 1585g
Spektrum TX DX-7 (original) / Spektrum RX AR6200

All true but I have found that no amount of perfect prop balancing will fix this if you have any motors out of balance. I have posted this vid on the other thread (sorry for the repeat) but it shows you what you get with balanced Graupners and balanced motors.

Just Between us Quads (3 min 40 sec)

This vid was shot yesterday (Sunday, Feb 10) with a GoPro Hero 2 on my Disco and no padding except a thin piece of double sided foam tape where the camera back touches the top frame plate edge. I used to try and mitigate the vibration with Align Gyro padding but once I figured out how to balance motors easily and quickly I found there was no longer a need for the padding.

Here is my How-To page on motor balancing if you want to know more.

Some will tell you that the more expensive motors do not require balancing and I can tell you I have not found this to be the case. Most of the high end motors and three bearing frames in particular require less balancing but they are still a potential source of high frequency vibes.

Cheers!
Mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ooo0aks View Post
Question:
What do you guys do with the voltage protection when you're flying fpv?
To me, it doesn't make any sense because you can't really see it but could be
taken by surprise when the Naza decides it's time to land ( in the woods or worse: water ), so I turned mine off. Any suggestions?
I leave mine on. I have an OSD which is constantly telling me battery condition and it has it's own warning which has worked just fine so far.
Mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:20 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,193 Posts
little jello (0 min 43 sec)

Just tested my gopro on my quad for about 20 seconds..

A little bit of jello. Not too bad. I think maybe some moon gel, and balancing of motors /props with a laser pointer/mirror will do the trick.

I may puchase some eprops in the future...hmmm. Do you think my turnigy 2217 20turn 860kv can handle 12 inch props? I'm on 10x4.7 right now.
v00d0o is offline Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:04 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,461 Posts
Advice needed.

I sold my DJI Naza to a member and he is having an arming issue. He cant get all of the motors to consistently arm at the same time. 2 motors sometimes will not start.

When I had the Naza I was using Turnigy Plush Speed Controls which at the time did not work well with the Naza. I had this same issue. This issue has since been fixed with the latest firmware.

At the time I used a seperate on/off switch to power my speed controls and turn them on after the naza was powered and then all the motors would arm just fine. I upgraded to the latest firmware and they fixed this problem and the on/off switch was no longer needed.

He is using DJI motors and ESCs and is having this issue which surprises me.

Any ideas?
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:46 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Have him up the idle speed.

Have him calibrate his TX in the assistant or at least make sure they are all centered in the assistant. If his TX is a little off giving a touch of YAW will slow some motors and speed up others as this is how the craft turns.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
102 Posts
There's a guy named Robert here that makes no tape mounts for the naza I have lost his info and need one yesterday!
Jamison816 is offline Find More Posts by Jamison816
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:31 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Bergen
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Naza-M and R7008SB issues

Hi guys!

I'm new here and I'm having some problems with my naza...
Yesterday I got my new Futaba 14SG with the R7008SB receiver, and wanted to set it up with my dji F550 using s.bus...
I know other people have had issues with this (after a lot of googling...), but the suggested solution is most often to change the receiver-mode.

With receiver in mode D (s.bus w/14 channels) and naza in d-bus mode, I get no response from TX. (yes, I have green light on RX)

In traditional mode, everything works fine (well, it is my first Futaba, so all the settings arent there yet), but I want to utilize the s.bus mode...

Anyone got any ideas?
artfuldodger87 is offline Find More Posts by artfuldodger87
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:03 AM
* fly fast - live slow *
Seeboden in Austria
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d0o View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EsN61GIqI

Just tested my gopro on my quad for about 20 seconds..

A little bit of jello. Not too bad. I think maybe some moon gel, and balancing of motors /props with a laser pointer/mirror will do the trick.

I may puchase some eprops in the future...hmmm. Do you think my turnigy 2217 20turn 860kv can handle 12 inch props? I'm on 10x4.7 right now.
v00d0o,

on this Page: http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm
you can play a little with different settings, props, esc´s ...

BR from snowy Austria
Jörg
Seebodener is offline Find More Posts by Seebodener
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:19 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfuldodger87 View Post
Hi guys!

I'm new here and I'm having some problems with my naza...
Yesterday I got my new Futaba 14SG with the R7008SB receiver, and wanted to set it up with my dji F550 using s.bus...
I know other people have had issues with this (after a lot of googling...), but the suggested solution is most often to change the receiver-mode.

With receiver in mode D (s.bus w/14 channels) and naza in d-bus mode, I get no response from TX. (yes, I have green light on RX)

In traditional mode, everything works fine (well, it is my first Futaba, so all the settings arent there yet), but I want to utilize the s.bus mode...

Anyone got any ideas?
Got the same TX/RX, sure you have a single cable between the SBUS output #8 (not SBUS2 thats all the way down) and X2 on the Naza ?
EDIT: Damn, now I don't remember if mine was plugged in SB or SB2, and cannot check, its all unmounted at the moment....
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Feb 12, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Bergen
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
Got the same TX/RX, sure you have a single cable between the SBUS output #8 (not SBUS2 thats all the way down) and X2 on the Naza ?
EDIT: Damn, now I don't remember if mine was plugged in SB or SB2, and cannot check, its all unmounted at the moment....
I have tested with both outputs (according to manual it should be 8/SB, not SB2. SB2 is for sensors, as far as I could understand)

Is there any "I-am-using-s.bus-mode-not-traditional-mode" selection on the 14SG, perhaps?
artfuldodger87 is offline Find More Posts by artfuldodger87
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:16 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,502 Posts
Nope not that I'm aware of, the signal is always on the SB and SB2 outputs, it's not toggled by the TX. At least, I never saw such thing in the menus.

Btw there's also SB2 servos, for the SB2 bus, and I remember reading somewhere its not advised to plug SB2 servos on the SB bus, but I'm afraid almost noone knows the truth because Futaba just forgot to inform the users
Last edited by Olivier_C; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:18 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,502 Posts
and not really on-topic with the Naza, thats about the 14SG, sometime ago I made a quick tut about setting a timer, if it can help its here :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7395

(Because the Futaba logic is mean, and I think there's a bug in the software, on the display of the condition values...)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:27 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,502 Posts
Made a new poster