SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:21 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
GB OX-GARD is a good product. It is available at most hardware stores. I believe it is a conductive grease with tiny metal particles. It is used to prevent corrosion in electrical connections. Do NOT use dielectric grease. That is an insulator.

I have adopted a recommendation on this thread, I think by Bill Glover, to replace all of the connectors with Protek bullets available from A Main Hobbies. These do not have the swivel cage, and but rather have a solid split male plug. They are also easier to solder because there is a little cut out in the side of the cup so you solder the wire onto the side of the cup rather than trying to "dip" it into a pool of solder. After several problems with connectors, some of which did not happen right away, I replaced all the connectors on my quad and my hex.

Read this and you will probably want to have a tube of OX-Gard on hand. It also explains why not to use dielectric grease.

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/oxgard.htm

All the cool kids use Dr. Marty's
http://www.empirerc.com/doctor-marty...se-p-5873.html
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:46 AM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Less than $100 Tim
So please give us a link, I would like to buy one....
ralfrcgroups is online now Find More Posts by ralfrcgroups
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:53 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I have adopted a recommendation on this thread, I think by Bill Glover, to replace all of the connectors with Protek bullets available from A Main Hobbies.
Hobby King now sell a similar style of connector, this is obviously cheaper but has a conventional 'socket' for the cable:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...air_20pc_.html

Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:06 AM
israel
Joined Jun 2003
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Hobby King now sell a similar style of connector, this is obviously cheaper but has a conventional 'socket' for the cable:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...air_20pc_.html

I use this connectors, works perfect, only thing that I'v done is secure them with hot glue.
moti is online now Find More Posts by moti
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfrcgroups View Post
So please give us a link, I would like to buy one....
I may have used incorrect term, they are infrared digital detectors and you can get them from Lowes, Home Depot and on line. They are very accurate I keep a small one on my key chain it was $30 at an HVAC supplier, Grangers probably a good source also. You point the laser dot at where you want to monitor and it displays temp on digital display. I troubleshoot digital electronics with them down to SMD size parts.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:25 AM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
290 Posts
Quote:
Anyway I'm going to put everything into a Y6 frame which arrived today. The Y layout is meant to be more stable in wind than a flat hexa, and has decent redundancy if you lose a motor/prop/ESC. Against that they are slightly less efficient.

Oh and the size ... it's a "900" (in fact 880mm) I chickened out of getting the 1200 version

Fingers crossed ...
Bill, coud you tell me, which frame you ordered? I also would like to build a Y6 eventually and would like to know as much as possible before starting to build. What components have you planned to use?

@Bill
With all these posts, maybe you've overseen my question.... Could you try to answer?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:55 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfrcgroups View Post
@Bill
With all these posts, maybe you've overseen my question.... Could you try to answer?
Sorry, yes I missed that! It's a Vulcan Skyhook: http://www.vulcanuav.com/vulcan-multiframe.html

I've got a 900mm Y6 but it's a modular design - you can add/subtract arms, motor mounts, etc. at will. You can also shorten the standard arms in 30mm increments to create other sizes (or switch to the 1200mm arms). I'll be transferring the stuff directly from my F550:

Torxpower 2216 900 Kv motors (these are basically re-badged T-Motors)
Graupner 11x5 E-props (balanced and slightly shortened)
3S 5800 Lipo
Schulze 8 ch 35 MHz rx
Naza GPS
DJI 18A Opto ESCs
Home made 2-axis camera gimbal

I anticipate a fully-loaded AUW of 2.4 kg with this setup (approx. 300 grams more than the F550). This is a pretty light setup for the frame, really they are engineered for big motors running 6S and carrying heavy gimbals (see the picture on the Vulcan website of three 1200mm arms supporting 28kgs of house bricks on on the centre plate ). But ... having had some issues with the flexibility of the F550 I wanted something really rigid where the motor alignment is guaranteed too. The extra size and Y6 layout should help stability (for AP) in the wind. I also like the fact that you can put the ESCs on the side of the arms, between the centre plates.

I will have the Naza and Rx on the top plate of the centre frame, with the battery on a standoff plate 30mm above that. The bottom plate will just carry the gimbal.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:41 AM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
290 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, yes I missed that! It's a Vulcan Skyhook: http://www.vulcanuav.com/vulcan-multiframe.html

I've got a 900mm Y6 but it's a modular design - you can add/subtract arms, motor mounts, etc. at will. You can also shorten the standard arms in 30mm increments to create other sizes (or switch to the 1200mm arms). I'll be transferring the stuff directly from my F550:

Torxpower 2216 900 Kv motors (these are basically re-badged T-Motors)
Graupner 11x5 E-props (balanced and slightly shortened)
3S 5800 Lipo
Schulze 8 ch 35 MHz rx
Naza GPS
DJI 18A Opto ESCs
Home made 2-axis camera gimbal

I anticipate a fully-loaded AUW of 2.4 kg with this setup (approx. 300 grams more than the F550). This is a pretty light setup for the frame, really they are engineered for big motors running 6S and carrying heavy gimbals (see the picture on the Vulcan website of three 1200mm arms supporting 28kgs of house bricks on on the centre plate ). But ... having had some issues with the flexibility of the F550 I wanted something really rigid where the motor alignment is guaranteed too. The extra size and Y6 layout should help stability (for AP) in the wind. I also like the fact that you can put the ESCs on the side of the arms, between the centre plates.

I will have the Naza and Rx on the top plate of the centre frame, with the battery on a standoff plate 30mm above that. The bottom plate will just carry the gimbal.
TX - that looks really interesting! Hope to see some photos/videos of your build soon!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:10 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,253 Posts
Just checking back in with you guys!

Not exactly NAZA Related, But my quad is getting new arms after that motor rip off

I think they look nicer, feel stronger, and are just as light.

If you want to see my own thread, here is a link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23607653

(I ask some very nooby questions)
v00d0o is offline Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by v00d0o; Feb 01, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:21 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d0o View Post

"nooby" +100
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
naza related.. lol I am certain that I am staying with NAZA products. I have tried several FC's and so far NAZA has been steady and consistent as well as the easiest to set up and tune.
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:37 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
And Three short weeks ago he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
naza related.. lol I am certain that I am staying with NAZA products. I have tried several FC's and so far NAZA has been steady and consistent as well as the easiest to set up and tune.
Here's your post from January 11, 2013 (exactly three weeks ago):

"Not sure how so many of you luck out and get a multirotor that works right out of the box with practically no effort other than to assemble it.
It is so overwhelming to get something you pay so much money for and it nearly becomes an exorcise in frustration just to get it to do something you tell it to do in the first hour of plugging in the power.
I am at my whits end with the whole thing and am so disappointed that with the amount of money these things cost there is so much work that still needs to be done to it other than putting it together.
This is my third attempt at getting a multirotor to do more than drain batteries while programming, tuning, reprogramming, retuning, cursing, spitting and generally being a large, expensive and aggravating paper weight. I have built 3. All different, all new and each one was a promised "put it together and fly" deal and all they do is beep, tweet and sometimes even turn the props but no flights, no hovers, no nothing. But I see all these videos of people flying their multi and I see all these helpful threads but so far nothing has been accomplished.
I am honestly not an idiot. I am honestly good at building and making things work. But so far this has been THE most disappointing hobby I have taken on yet."

How soon we forget...
I'm just glad you stuck with it and didn't quit...

alwaysconfused, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Some of my old posts were made by this stranger, who uses my name occasionally, that seems to be out of patience...

And a big difference between those other FCs and Naza is this Forum and its members.
You all should take a bow...
When we run out of patience, you're there to share some of yours!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:37 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Posting and You (4 min 8 sec)
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:05 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Jan 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d0o View Post

Not exactly NAZA Related, But my quad is getting new arms after that motor rip off

I think they look nicer, feel stronger, and are just as light.

If you want to see my own thread, here is a link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23607653

I am guessing by the varying hole patterns that you drilled those holes yourself. Coming from my 41 years as a tool room machinist, I want to tell you " job well done". Not only centered and even spaced, but chamfered and deburred. You are a very talented young man that likes to do things right! I look forward to seeing it fly.
Gary
Old guy1 is offline Find More Posts by Old guy1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:22 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old guy1 View Post
I am guessing by the varying hole patterns that you drilled those holes yourself. Coming from my 41 years as a tool room machinist, I want to tell you " job well done". Not only centered and even spaced, but chamfered and deburred. You are a very talented young man that likes to do things right! I look forward to seeing it fly.
Gary
Thank you for your kind words sir! It means a lot to see people appreciating my work; especially with some who has experience as a machinist. I still have a lot to learn and more experience to gain

I used a drill press, 2 bits, and a countersink. I think it turned out nicely so far
v00d0o is offline Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member