HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:56 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Jan 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I have on sitting in my water heater closet when I had my knee replaced last year. It was probably the most humiliating experience that I have ever had. "I don't need that, only old people need those." Whine, whine, whine. I got rid of it shortly after the surgery. Pete you are cool.
Ed, had both my knees replaced at the same time 4 years ago. So I can feel your pain and I remember needing help for everything for a couple of weeks. Took 10 weeks to fully recover, but it was worth it. Zero pain and they work great
Gary
By the way, you and the other guys do a great job here
Old guy1 is online now Find More Posts by Old guy1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:24 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,579 Posts
Has DJI altered their downloads site at all? I've had problems for 2-3 days now trying to access firmware for the NAZA. If I start up NAZA Assistant 1.8, it links up OK, and under Step 1 on the firmware upgrade window, all 6 items are marked green. If I do the same thing with NAZA Assistant 1.6, the first 3 go green and the last 3 are red X'ed. Happens the same way every time. Has NAZA firmware 2.01 been removed? No problem at all linking up with Wookong Assistant.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:27 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old guy1 View Post
That made me think, so I weighed the props again. Plastic -8grams
Woodies -17 grams. 4x17=68. 4x8=32. 68-32=36grams They (the woodies) must be more efficient to be able to hover at less throttle% while adding 36 grams. Add to that the classy looks and they are a winner in my book.
As previously explained, throttle position doesn't tell you much.

Need to know the current consumption to draw any conclusion about efficiency.

If, as you initially stated, the current consumption INCREASED then it's hard to claim the efficiency increased. 36g is not a lot to add.

Both I and Mark_q found DJI props to have about 13g mass. I find your 8g value hard to believe.

You didn't state what your original props were; I *assumed* DJI

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=17876 for Mark's data.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kallend; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
As previously explained, throttle position doesn't tell you much.

Need to know the current consumption to draw any conclusion about efficiency.

If, as you initially stated, the current consumption INCREASED then it's hard to claim the efficiency increased. 36g is not a lot to add.

Both I and Markq found DJI props to have about 13g mass. I find your 8g value hard to believe.
They are not DJI props, I don't have DJI motors (Turnigy). Just some cheap props I picked up to test if I wanted to use 8,9, or 10" props. When I get a chance, I will post a picture of them on the scale. I am thinking you are remembering the 4 amp increase by the other poster that started this. I said I saw a slight increase, this was based on the fact that a 5 minute hover used a few more mah out of the battery according to my charger. Anyhow, all that really does not matter to me, I just wanted the throttle% to get down to 50% because the Naza holds altitude in Atti mode at the 1/2 throttle point. I probably used the term efficient incorrectly, I just meant my hover point (throttle) was lowered which was what I was looking for.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
187 Posts
With the cheap plastic props it hovered at 55% throttle. With the "woodies", it dropped to 52%. By removing the waterproof case of my GoPro and replacing it with "The Frame" it dropped to 50%. Add to that the great looks and the smooth flight and I am good to fly
Gary
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
And hope that's what you find, and the Naza was protected from harm...
BAD, BAD news! Not only did I kill the BEC but I also fried the naza! Lesson be learned. I just received my second naza for my ecilop and tried it out on my x650. Works perfect. I took apart my older(fried) naza to see what was going on and it smells like burnt toast. Plus, see attached photo.

The chip that fried is on the one on the bottom right hand corner of the board.
Stumptownflier is offline Find More Posts by Stumptownflier
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:35 AM
Near Disneyland in Placentia, Southern California, USA
Joined Aug 2004
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruszek83 View Post
Hej guys, question...
I need to change bearings in my DJI motors, they are strangely 4x8x4 and not 4x8x3 like most motor ball bearings...
Where can i buy them ?
I found some that cost 10$/piece but that is way to expensive.

Best Regards
Michael
IIRC...my DJI 2212/920 motor replacement bearings were 4x8x3.
I got a set of 8 bearings for about $10 shipped.
The price you stated may be for 1 set of 8.
You need to research this some more.
BerndM is offline Find More Posts by BerndM
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:11 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumptownflier View Post
BAD, BAD news! Not only did I kill the BEC but I also fried the naza! Lesson be learned. I just received my second naza for my ecilop and tried it out on my x650. Works perfect. I took apart my older(fried) naza to see what was going on and it smells like burnt toast. Plus, see attached photo.

The chip that fried is on the one on the bottom right hand corner of the board.
That's a bu**er...... you could read off the chip number from your good one to try a replacement, but with no guarantee that the damage stops there of course.....or put it on ebay....spares or repair.
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:48 AM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Anyway I'm going to put everything into a Y6 frame which arrived today. The Y layout is meant to be more stable in wind than a flat hexa, and has decent redundancy if you lose a motor/prop/ESC. Against that they are slightly less efficient.

Oh and the size ... it's a "900" (in fact 880mm) I chickened out of getting the 1200 version

Fingers crossed ...
Bill, coud you tell me, which frame you ordered? I also would like to build a Y6 eventually and would like to know as much as possible before starting to build. What components have you planned to use?
ralfrcgroups is online now Find More Posts by ralfrcgroups
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:49 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=teS02ctICyw
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:34 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,093 Posts
Thanks, now I know what to do with my cotton swabs......
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:53 AM
QuaDreko pilot :)
Slovenia, Kamnik
Joined Oct 2010
108 Posts
I was just testing my new Gemfan woodies, and Naza glitched and fall from the sky.

Do anyone know what went wrong?
All I can try is, to check soldering.

Naza glitch and then fall...extended... (0 min 32 sec)
Drekavac is offline Find More Posts by Drekavac
Last edited by Drekavac; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Added better quality video.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:01 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drekavac View Post
I was just testing my new Gemfan woodies, and Naza glitched and fall from the sky.

Do anyone know what went wrong?
All I can try is, to check soldering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgbiKJHJLQ
I saw the wood chip! I thought it was a coin
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:07 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,181 Posts
Now Who's An Old You Know What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I have on sitting in my water heater closet when I had my knee replaced last year. It was probably the most humiliating experience that I have ever had. "I don't need that, only old people need those." Whine, whine, whine. I got rid of it shortly after the surgery. Pete you are cool.
I may be an old ft, but both my knees work perfectly well...
Pass the Metamucil...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,181 Posts
@Old guy1

Good procedure determining hover throttle...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor