Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
POI Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
Very nicely done
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggdoc View Post
Very cool, can you post details of the steps necessary to accomplish the orbit. Also could the orbit be made a tighter circle and slower?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
That is REALLY a GREAT idea!
Imagine how fantastic it would be if you could dial in an optimum radius of the circle, like if you wanted to get in an entire house for example.
Guys,
I am really glad you liked the idea. I did the second take the last weekend trying to make a tighter circle. It is actually not a big problem, one just needs to play with roll, pitch and yaw constants. Tighter circle means increasing them all a bit.

Ok, what I made in my ER9X was that I added extra mix for roll, pitch and yaw. Each of the mix is activated by some (the same) switch, in my case I mapped Elevator D/R switch.

For e.g roll I added a mix, source is Full, weight is 40, switch is ELE and it does the Replace (you can Add, Multiply or Replace the value). Same for pitch and yaw

Roll 40% to the right
Pitch 50% forward
Yaw -15% to the left

So, when I flip the switch my stick values are replaced by constant values above. I can control throttle only. Maybe I will try "Add", insteaod of Replace, so I would be able to control the copter or make some manual adjustments.

My second test showed that when it's windy it's bad because it blows away the copter and it ends up in a spiral, not a circle. I'll post the video soon.

So this works the best when there is no wind.

Just for the reference, this is what we talk about
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Last edited by alek3d; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
Near Disneyland in Placentia, Southern California, USA
Joined Aug 2004
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstuff View Post
I should think your Naza will have survived, the BEC should not have put out the incorrect polarity but died in the attempt.
This sort of situation makes me sooooo mad.
The cheap-ass manufacturer could VERY easily have added diode polarity protection to their designs. It would add next to nothing to their cost and prevent this sort of simple mistake.
But then again, that would deprive them of selling you a replacement unit.

Regards
Bernd

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x4 Gemfan Woodies Props / GoPro Hero HD2
Fat Shark Predator V2 FPV
AUW 3S-4000mah = 1585g
Spektrum TX DX-7 (original) / Spektrum RX AR6200
BerndM is offline Find More Posts by BerndM
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,249 Posts
I need help...

I got my quad all set. But when I turn on the NAZA...No motor movement...I'm using a turnigy 9x

Here is a quick little video!

Dji NAZA no motors (1 min 24 sec)

I have not set the modes or any other switches.. .just the 4 main controls and the VU are attached via the servo leads on the NAZA.

The battery I think its fully charged...I used a EBAY buzzer...and its a 3s 4000mAh...so it flashed 11.v All --> 1 = 3.84v 2 = 3.83v 3 = 3.83v
v00d0o is offline Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
I'll eat the cost, I made the mistake! Good to hear that it's probably my BEC and not the whole Naza. The replacement was 20 bucks shipped from one state over, not china so it could be worse!

Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
This sort of situation makes me sooooo mad.
The cheap-ass manufacturer could VERY easily have added diode polarity protection to their designs. It would add next to nothing to their cost and prevent this sort of simple mistake.
But then again, that would deprive them of selling you a replacement unit.

Regards
Bernd

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x4 Gemfan Woodies Props / GoPro Hero HD2
Fat Shark Predator V2 FPV
AUW 3S-4000mah = 1585g
Spektrum TX DX-7 (original) / Spektrum RX AR6200
Stumptownflier is offline Find More Posts by Stumptownflier
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:48 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
First Troubleshooting Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d0o View Post
I need help...

I got my quad all set. But when I turn on the NAZA...No motor movement...I'm using a turnigy 9x

I have not set the modes or any other switches.. .just the 4 main controls and the VU are attached via the servo leads on the NAZA.

The battery I think its fully charged...I used a EBAY buzzer...and its a 3s 4000mAh...so it flashed 11.v All --> 1 = 3.84v 2 = 3.83v 3 = 3.83v
Have you calibrated your ESCs?
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Have you calibrated your ESCs?
Have you executed CSC to start motors, you may need to bear down on manual a bit more before starting up. I had to and still have many questions floating around in brain!
All is ther ein manual it is just a bit hard to grasp without re-reading several times.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:55 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
Csc

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Have you executed CSC to start motors, you may need to bear down on manual a bit more before starting up. I had to and still have many questions floating around in brain!
All is ther ein manual it is just a bit hard to grasp without re-reading several times.
Tim
If you watch his video, he's executing CSC.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:58 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
I need help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-Aa9Hz_2Y

Step One: REMOVE THE DANG PROPS! Never Ever Ever try to start a system for the first time with the props on... esp indoors. What if you got something wrong and the motors went full throttle?! I heard kids in the back ground too...

Step Two: Turn off the Low Voltage failsafe till you get everything working. Lots of people set this up wrong and never get off the ground

Question, you said "I have not set the modes or any other switches" does this mean you have not plugged it into the Assistant and setup your flight control switch (ATTI/Manual)? You need to do this before flying.

After all of the above... esp step one... you need to make sure your ESCs are calibrated, work well with the Naza, and the motor idle speed is turned to High in the Assistant (if normal doesnt work).
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:30 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
@MCrites

Thanks for the added clarifications.
Too many times I give back an answer in so much detail that it turns off or confuses the questioner.
I was going to try to do this one a step at a time....
We'll get him going!
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:56 PM
Since 1902. Maybe.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,920 Posts
A Naza is working without the 5th channel plugged ?
If yes, what mode is it defaulting too ?
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Step One: REMOVE THE DANG PROPS! Never Ever Ever try to start a system for the first time with the props on... esp indoors. What if you got something wrong and the motors went full throttle?! I heard kids in the back ground too...

Step Two: Turn off the Low Voltage failsafe till you get everything working. Lots of people set this up wrong and never get off the ground

Question, you said "I have not set the modes or any other switches" does this mean you have not plugged it into the Assistant and setup your flight control switch (ATTI/Manual)? You need to do this before flying.

After all of the above... esp step one... you need to make sure your ESCs are calibrated, work well with the Naza, and the motor idle speed is turned to High in the Assistant (if normal doesnt work).
My noobness is off the charts. I'm a teenager and the kids are my little brothers.

The escs need to be calibrated? How do I do this?

I have not set the flight mode switch...do I need to before I can fly? Is this the reason it is not working?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:25 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
Start At The Beginning

Quote:
My noobness is off the charts. I'm a teenager and the kids are my little brothers.

The escs need to be calibrated? How do I do this?

I have not set the flight mode switch...do I need to before I can fly? Is this the reason it is not working?
Yes to ESC calibration and to Flight Mode Switch.
You might be a teenager, but you're man enough to tell us your level of expertise.
That goes a long way with me!
You need to read the current version of the Naza Manual.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/..._Manual_en.pdf
Follow the manual's setup scenario.
It mentions ESC calibration in a sidebar on page 8.
Do what MC has suggested, and come back to us with specific questions.
We'll explain calibrations, etc. as you come to that.
And, like I said in a previous post, let's take this one step at a time...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:28 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Welcome v00d0o!

As TJ said, read the manual. Then read it again because you won't remember 80% of it. Then come back with questions.

EDIT** Keep off those props till you know everything spins in the right direction etc
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
Since 1902. Maybe.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,920 Posts
Or tie the quad to this plastic box thingy, and put heavy stuff inside, don't under estimate its lifting ablities...
And the cutting power of the blades
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jan 28, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,249 Posts
Ok I got one of 4 motors running

HOW EXCITING!

one seems to be stuttering...? The others aren't moving for some reason

Close... (0 min 16 sec)

I haven't done ESC calibration...I think I may try that right now.

I set up the switch. Manual and Attitude modes. (I was out of the house for 2 hours..but Now I'm back and ready to get this thing in the air)
RCG Plus Member