SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:30 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Here's the rub: if you don't have the GPS a radio/rx glitch could cost you your entire investment. So if you don't have a GPS I am thinking the RX should definitely have individual channel failsafe so that if you lose radio signal you could set up the RX to cause the machine to circle and descend (by setting aileron, rudder and throttle). This has nothing to do with NAZA and would involve one's own guess at the setup with little sensible way to "test" it. If this is not done, there is a real likelyhood that a radio glitch will cause the machine will run away and there is a fair chance you will never see it again. I have had probably a half dozen radio/rx failures due to strange, different and unpredictable factors. The GPS has saved my investment a half dozen times. Just sayin.

Also, while I would trust name brand radio equipment more than cheap clones, there are many, many cases in this hobby where top name radio equipment has failed. One fellow at our club who uses top of the line equipment everywhere watched his 40% Extra sail off into the sunset (and eventually the trees and ground) when a top of the line RX failed.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:34 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Thanks!
I'll know where to send someone now...
Please dont send me there anymore!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:27 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
did you have it in manual mode or atti or gps-atti? Either way..manual is gonna be a learning experience. In GPS-atti you will be dealing with gains until you talk gains in your sleep but it is soooo worth it!
I had it in GPS-Atti but the gains were all set to 100% so now I have recommended gains programmed in and will try again.
All very new to me, only multi I have flown todate is the little Helimax bug.
So I am way over my head at moment! Have ordered a AR8000 so I can activate fail safe. Next to try different IOC modes and all the rest of the stuff that I have to learn and try.
BTW for training and such, IE no camera just 3300 battery for load, which props are best? I plan on needing a few dozen before I get the hang of these birds. Are the stock props too prone to breaking in flight? If so what is next most cost effective "trainer prop" I will up grade to Groupners later.

Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,911 Posts
Tim you don't say if the 3300 battery is 4S or 3S. For 3S use 10" props, for 4S us 8" props. DJI has just introduced new 10" props that look pretty sweet.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:30 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Tim you don't say if the 3300 battery is 4S or 3S. For 3S use 10" props, for 4S us 8" props. DJI has just introduced new 10" props that look pretty sweet.
I have 4S in 2200 and 3300 sizes, have some 2600 3S also.
I was going to order some of the new 10"D JI and give those a try. I was given some MAS 3 blades, I believe they are 8", anyone tried those?

Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Tahoe Ed please check your message box
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:35 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,911 Posts
Tri blades are very difficult to balance. I would stick with normal props for now. Any of those lipos will work. If you have some 8" props and some 10's, try both and see what you like best. I am flying 8" on my F330 and my F450.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:15 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,716 Posts
9" Graupners ! 9" Graupners 9" ! Graupners !

"Olivier, promoting 9" Graupners since 1902"

The F450 with 9"+4S is a beast, you can fly it like a plane :]

I personally consider the DJI props as a no-go, to save few bucks you take the risk of having it break when it's at eyes level 2 meters away, or when it's high enough in the sky so it will make a small crater, because it doesn't glide very well...
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jan 25, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:19 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Here's the rub: if you don't have the GPS a radio/rx glitch could cost you your entire investment. So if you don't have a GPS I am thinking the RX should definitely have individual channel failsafe so that if you lose radio signal you could set up the RX to cause the machine to circle and descend (by setting aileron, rudder and throttle). This has nothing to do with NAZA and would involve one's own guess at the setup with little sensible way to "test" it. If this is not done, there is a real likelyhood that a radio glitch will cause the machine will run away and there is a fair chance you will never see it again. I have had probably a half dozen radio/rx failures due to strange, different and unpredictable factors. The GPS has saved my investment a half dozen times. Just sayin.
You don't need a GPS to get a soft NAZA controlled landing in the event of signal failure. All you miss without the GPS is the "return to home" feature.

Programming your individual aileron, rudder and throttle channels and circumventing the NAZA doesn't seem very sensible to me.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I saw the testing video on the new DJI 10 inch composite props and I must say their performance under abuse was 5 star all the way!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,716 Posts
Plus if you set like aileron=0, rudder=0, pitch=0, throttle=40% so it goes back to the ground, it may be ugly when it touch the ground and the props keep turning. Whereas the Naza fail mode will (should) detect the ground contact and will stop the motors.
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,937 Posts
He's Right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
You don't need a GPS to get a soft NAZA controlled landing in the event of signal failure. All you miss without the GPS is the "return to home" feature.

Programming your individual aileron, rudder and throttle channels and circumventing the NAZA doesn't seem very sensible to me.
You guys have forgotten what Failsafe did before GPS was introduced.
I was there, and the auto land did a good job...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:29 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
You guys have forgotten what Failsafe did before GPS was introduced.
I was there, and the auto land did a good job...
.... unless you were over water. Or a playground full of kids. Or over a highway. Or an active volcano. Or a lions den.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:36 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
.... unless you were over water. Or a playground full of kids. Or over a highway. Or an active volcano. Or a lions den.
You've been to my club?

On the whole I still think a stabilized soft descent is preferable to an uncontrolled descent of any kind.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:36 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Volcano!!! I am not flying with you.
Site Sponsor