Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:38 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
Ok I said I would try stupid values for the Z GPS position, so there it is, Z=+40, instead of the correct value -8, so that's an error of 48cm.

DJI F450/ 4S+9" graupner / stock motors+ESCs / GPS mode / gains: 140/140/100/120/100/100/ AUW:1240gr
There was a bit of random wind, aggravated by the wall of the house thats right outta frame on the left.
Sorry if its almost out of frame, but I don't like pushing the thing with a hand wasted on the camera

Quadcopter - Testing - 22/01/2013 (1 min 2 sec)
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:07 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
Ok I said I would try stupid values for the Z GPS position, so there it is, Z=+40, instead of the correct value -8, so that's an error of 48cm.

DJI F450/ 4S+9" graupner / stock motors+ESCs / GPS mode / gains: 140/140/100/120/100/100/ AUW:1240gr
There was a bit of random wind, aggravated by the wall of the house thats right outta frame on the left.
Sorry if its almost out of frame, but I don't like pushing the thing with a hand wasted on the camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkc6GUe6cM
Can't say I'm surprised about that result, but I'd be interested in seeing what a big x or y error would to (especially to yaw).
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIG2fly View Post
how long have you had your flysky to make that statment, yesterday you claimed to have a dx6 and said you would get a flysky???
I said I have a HITEC that I was going to use so I can move my flysky to my FPV plane but the HITEC is not working out for me. I ordered another flysky
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
For the record (I think):
alwaysconfused has a HITEC Eclipse 7 pro
dedfish has a DX6i

And neither of them are pleased with them...
OOPS! TJ answered already. Thanks TJ. Yeah I am not happy with the HITEC system. Bad buy but will rectify.. HEY! I made a rhyme!

ANd if this megapro control board doesnt work out on the new build (one I had laying around) I will be getting another NAZA+GPS set up. That thng just seems to rise above.

Bytheway... will it seperate the two settings or am I going to have to use one comp for one NAZA set up and another comp for the second? Or can I build profiles? I know I know...read the manual... phhht...
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:07 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
It's very likely the software is reading the settings from the Naza at launch time, so one computer should be enough
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:22 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,642 Posts
What Oliver_C Said...

I use the same computer for my F450 and my F550.
Will soon use it for the Phantom too...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: BMPCC/Z15 Transport
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:35 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
Can't say I'm surprised about that result, but I'd be interested in seeing what a big x or y error would to (especially to yaw).
To be honest I was about to test for X and Y aswell, but I chickened out at the last second

The place is not very large, and there's the wind tunneling between the wall of the house and the hill, so I was afraid I wouldn't have enough space in case the Naza would decide to do something crazy during a yaw. I personally think it won't matter any more than the Z, but didn't want to risk it.... I'll try when I'm in a more open field.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:35 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Well I finally heard back from GoPro regarding the lines in my 1080p recordings and they are replacing my camera. They seem to think mine is bad just from the video I posted. I'll have to wait and see if the replacement works any better.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,642 Posts
GoPro3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
Well I finally heard back from GoPro regarding the lines in my 1080p recordings and they are replacing my camera. They seem to think mine is bad just from the video I posted. I'll have to wait and see if the replacement works any better.
Sure seems to be a lot of defective ones.
I think Ed said he was on his third.
I'm happy with my GoPro2...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: BMPCC/Z15 Transport
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:59 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Sure seems to be a lot of defective ones.
I think Ed said he was on his third.
I'm happy with my GoPro2...
!
Me too, I'm not even going to upgrade the firmware...
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
To me this "CG" in the DJI manual is yet another chinglish, I think they meant the "center of the plane"... as in, where the Naza is, and since the best and logical place for the Naza is where the lines from the rotors intersects, and roughly on the same plane, because that's where the 3 gyros and the 3 accels will be the most efficient, and will behave symetrically (?)
CG is centre of gravity, which is where the Naza is supposed to be placed. More 'normal' designs (compared to the DJI ones) with the FC perched on top and under-slung battery and camera gimbal are more of an issue as that puts the Naza well above the CG. With the Wookong you can put the sensor unit anywhere you want because you define the X,Y,Z coordinates for it in the Assistant (and separately for the GPS). But the Naza doesn't have this facility so it's meant to be positioned as close to the CG as possible.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,556 Posts
Quote:
I only use the DX6i for small planes, helis, and parkflyers.
Same here.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:20 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
CG is centre of gravity, which is where the Naza is supposed to be placed. More 'normal' designs (compared to the DJI ones) with the FC perched on top and under-slung battery and camera gimbal are more of an issue as that puts the Naza well above the CG. With the Wookong you can put the sensor unit anywhere you want because you define the X,Y,Z coordinates for it in the Assistant (and separately for the GPS). But the Naza doesn't have this facility so it's meant to be positioned as close to the CG as possible.
I find this conversation interesting because I use NAZA-like units (flybarless controllers) on my helicopters. While the manufacturers recommend placing them "near the heli main shaft (CoG)", this is never a requirement for successful flight.

The controllers have accelerometers and gyroscopes that respond to (1) what is vertical and (2) what is the rotational velocity in any or all of the three axes. The unit does not have to be at the CoG for the gyros to function properly.

It would be nice if a tech from DJI would post there to explain their thinking on this.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,556 Posts
The point is that an object will rotate about its centre of gravity. So ideally that's where you want the sensors to be, or software that will correct for them being elsewhere (when told what the offset is).

In reality it's probably not critical, and 'close to the CG' works OK. I'm just fussy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:34 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
The point is that an object will rotate about its centre of gravity. So ideally that's where you want the sensors to be, or software that will correct for them being elsewhere (when told what the offset is).

In reality it's probably not critical, and 'close to the CG' works OK. I'm just fussy
But, because the device is measureing angular velocity - the offest is not necessary. At least on my heli controllers.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816