alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
The RC plane guys exit the field when the winds get to 5-7.
Mph ??

I used to fly fixed wing from a small club field with trees on all 4 sides where the turbulence was wicked. I flew whatever the wind strength ... couple of times I had to get people to hold the plane (.60 aerobatic) on the strip before takeoff, to stop it being flipped over! Good fun
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:27 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,735 Posts
Shoot, if I wasn't gonna fly if the winds were 5-7 MPH then I'd never leave the house. Our club field is in a wide-open area so any winds that my wind gauge reads at home is always going to be faster once I get to the field. I only won't go to the field if it's sustained winds of 10-15 but anything less than that, I fearlessly pack my car with planes, single-rotor collective-pitch helis and my DJI F450 and happily fly all day.

And I've got a club member that calls my Futaba radio Futaboooty or something like that. I'm like whatever, at least I fly. He's one of those guys that bought a JR 12X for $1200 because it's "the cool thing to do" and he thinks more $$$ = better product but he never flies.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:33 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,628 Posts
In french with a lil' bit of imagination you can somehow hear "Futaba" as "Fut bas" : "Pants down !"
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:11 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
The lines in my videos don't have anything to do with interference. I am able to recreate them without the quad anywhere near the camera. It has something to do with the camera and light.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
For the best performance in windy conditions, a single rotor heli is always your best bet. The RC plane guys exit the field when the winds get to 5-7. .
Beaufort scale, right?

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Shoot, if I wasn't gonna fly if the winds were 5-7 MPH then I'd never leave the house. Our club field is in a wide-open area so any winds that my wind gauge reads at home is always going to be faster once I get to the field. I only won't go to the field if it's sustained winds of 10-15 but anything less than that, I fearlessly pack my car with planes, single-rotor collective-pitch helis and my DJI F450 and happily fly all day.

And I've got a club member that calls my Futaba radio Futaboooty or something like that. I'm like whatever, at least I fly. He's one of those guys that bought a JR 12X for $1200 because it's "the cool thing to do" and he thinks more $$$ = better product but he never flies.
" he thinks more $$$ = better product " HE IS RIGHT! you should try it some time!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post

That's what I think when I pull out my Turnigy er9X and the guys at the field give me looks from behind their JRs and Spektrums. Nevermind that none of them even know how to change the name of each model.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:05 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
The lines in my videos don't have anything to do with interference. I am able to recreate them without the quad anywhere near the camera. It has something to do with the camera and light.
That's some off-range whites, if that's a GoPro 3, did you try to turn off/on the Protune option ?
And when it's on, you can manually adjust the white balance setting (WB).
And if its a GoPro 2, there was a firmware update sometime ago that fixed this kind of "whiter than white" problem.
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jan 15, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Turnigy er9X! no comment .....

If I spend $400 for controller; $200 to $400 for airframe; I will spend on a good radio knowing I will be flying for several more years.

If it gets windy like in many other places, switch to glider and have a blast.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
That's what I think when I pull out my Turnigy er9X and the guys at the field give me looks from behind their JRs and Spektrums. Nevermind that none of them even know how to change the name of each model.
Sounds like a old fashioned thinking club to me. Some of those REAL OLD guys are hard to change!. Sounds to me like you are lucky they even let you on "their" field!. I just received a Freewing SU35 in the mail just imagine what would happen to you if you dared take something like that to "THEIR" field!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
lol priceless.

And ya know. I should have you mode my Tx... I am quickly running out of hobby time for about a month..AARRGG!
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
" he thinks more $$$ = better product " HE IS RIGHT! you should try it some time!
Didn't you get the $53.00 Hobby King Turnigy 9x to fly that really nice jet hid in your attic
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:48 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
So, what I take from this, roughly $1100 is in the low to mid range for a multirotor? And if I spend $1200 to $2000 I will get a better set up? And roughly $2000 to $10000 (yeah I know they are superdooperwhirlygig awesome at $10k) I can get something that will stick in the sky like the moon?
More money makes it larger, which makes it more stable.
However in my limited experience so far: you can replace money with experience in building a MR and time.

Take the cheap MultiWii/Naze32 and simonk flashed ESCs and compare to complete packages like the FlameWheel+Naza+ESCs: the latter is faster to get stable into the air, the former requires much more fiddling but you can surpass the performance or flexibility of the latter.

My most fun to fly quad cost a total of about US$200. Flies much nicer in acro/manual mode than my more than double expensive FlameWheel. So money is not making it better per se.

Harald
Hkubota is offline Find More Posts by Hkubota
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
Didn't you get the $53.00 Hobby King Turnigy 9x to fly that really nice jet hid in your attic
What jet? O I remember! you are talking about the new $35.00 jet I orderd