HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:42 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
The entire mount with camera is 260g. I just did a super quick test in my living room and I think it's going to work great. I could reduce the weight by drilling out some unnecessary material.
Quoting myself...yeah me! So I drilled out some extra material, a big channel through the center block. It really didn't save much weight, only 10g. To break down the numbers:

Camera in case (including small screw for securing: 196g
Wood block mount: 54g

Most of the weight is the camera as you can see.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:05 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
Olivier_C's Avatar
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,506 Posts
It's looking great tbh

I see its a Gopro 3, you say its 196gr, I find it suprising... I mean I'm not doubting this number, it's just I may change my GoPro 2 for a version 3 soon, and I was expecting it to be lighter, because the camera is smaller, the waterproof casing is much smaller, etc. A HD2 is 100gr with battery and SD and near 90gr for the waterproof housing with this kind of buckle, so I'm kinda surprised there's not a noticable weight difference :|

Edit: ok ok, found this, turns out that the HD3 casing alone is MUCH heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Turnigy, Flysky, Frsky, Futaba...
They're all Greek to me.
Lol where are you from, everybody knows that Futaba is not greek, it's from Cuba !
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jan 15, 2013 at 03:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:24 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
Quoting myself...yeah me! So I drilled out some extra material, a big channel through the center block. It really didn't save much weight, only 10g. To break down the numbers:

Camera in case (including small screw for securing: 196g
Wood block mount: 54g

Most of the weight is the camera as you can see.
Don't forget that hanging that much weight off the front of the basic 450 will need just as much weight hanging out the back to keep the CofG centred
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
I did some flying at work last night. I flew outside with some wind. It was twitchy. I flew inside (800k sqft building) and it was smooth as buttah! I am thinking it is not happy with outside flying? ok so that means I can only fly like a butterfly inside but sting like a bee outside...lol

And yeah I read...and read...and read. I would have to modify, solder, download, but a special cable and reflash the th9x to be able to remap the switches.

I can do that. Would rather it not be that way. Why don't they just make them so the USER can define the switch use?

How...controlling....
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:27 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,531 Posts
Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
I did some flying at work last night. I flew outside with some wind. It was twitchy. I flew inside (800k sqft building) and it was smooth as buttah! I am thinking it is not happy with outside flying? ok so that means I can only fly like a butterfly inside but sting like a bee outside...lol

And yeah I read...and read...and read. I would have to modify, solder, download, but a special cable and reflash the th9x to be able to remap the switches.

I can do that. Would rather it not be that way. Why don't they just make them so the USER can define the switch use?

How...controlling....
If you are getting smooth flights without wind, you've almost got things dialed in.
It's natural to get some twitching and corrections in wind.
Wait until you see it cope with 10 to 15 mph with 20mph+ gusts.
It's almost like it's alive!
My flying buddies say it sounds like a swarm of angry bees...

Some tuning will minimize twitching, but the Naza has to react to keep the airframe level and positioned.
I don't, but I think TahoeEd has special gains settings he uses for windy flying...
Again, this thing won't hang in the sky like the moon...

With transmitters, price drives how much control you are willing to settle for.
Cheap = assigned switches
Pricey = assignable switches
(In most cases...)
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 15, 2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added comment
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:26 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
So, what I take from this, roughly $1100 is in the low to mid range for a multirotor? And if I spend $1200 to $2000 I will get a better set up? And roughly $2000 to $10000 (yeah I know they are superdooperwhirlygig awesome at $10k) I can get something that will stick in the sky like the moon?

Oh..and by the way...here is HellScream (named after what I went through and did a lot of)

F550 Tweaked and twisted (1 min 17 sec)
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:07 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,531 Posts
Steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
So, what I take from this, roughly $1100 is in the low to mid range for a multirotor? And if I spend $1200 to $2000 I will get a better set up? And roughly $2000 to $10000 (yeah I know they are superdooperwhirlygig awesome at $10k) I can get something that will stick in the sky like the moon?
Watch some video of the upper-class rigs.
Wind will always be a force to be reckoned with.
Because of the way a multirotor's motion is generated, some rocking and rolling has to happen.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:16 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,221 Posts
For the best performance in windy conditions, a single rotor heli is always your best bet. The RC plane guys exit the field when the winds get to 5-7. The heli guys are there up to 20+. I limit my multi rotor flying to about 12-15. Above that, while you can do it, it is no longer any fun.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:25 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,531 Posts
+ To That...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
For the best performance in windy conditions, a single rotor heli is always your best bet. The RC plane guys exit the field when the winds get to 5-7. The heli guys are there up to 20+. I limit my multi rotor flying to about 12-15. Above that, while you can do it, it is no longer any fun.
I seem to remember single rotors.
Flew one on a simulator helping teach a novice to hover over the holidays.
Got to get back to mine.
Multirotors have consumed my attention.
Don't forget that the wind is your friend.
I think 15 to 20 mph is pretty fun with a multi...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
It's looking great tbh

I see its a Gopro 3, you say its 196gr, I find it suprising... I mean I'm not doubting this number, it's just I may change my GoPro 2 for a version 3 soon, and I was expecting it to be lighter, because the camera is smaller, the waterproof casing is much smaller, etc. A HD2 is 100gr with battery and SD and near 90gr for the waterproof housing with this kind of buckle, so I'm kinda surprised there's not a noticable weight difference :|

Edit: ok ok, found this, turns out that the HD3 casing alone is MUCH heavier.


Lol where are you from, everybody knows that Futaba is not greek, it's from Cuba !
Ya learn something new every day! I thought a Futaba was a body part
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:37 AM
RCHN #150
Rickn816's Avatar
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
So, what I take from this, roughly $1100 is in the low to mid range for a multirotor? And if I spend $1200 to $2000 I will get a better set up? And roughly $2000 to $10000 (yeah I know they are superdooperwhirlygig awesome at $10k) I can get something that will stick in the sky like the moon?
These are upper range units. All fiberglass and aluminum. Built like a tank. My quad came down from about 20 feet and did not bend the frame or damage the motor. With $399 for the NAZA+GPS, it should be easy to have a decent setup for $1K or less.

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/ind...?cPath=125_141

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
JJtr1954's Avatar
USA, TX, Kilgore
Joined Apr 2010
601 Posts
I have 1 of those 500 Innovative Quads & it FLIES Great!....JJ
JJtr1954 is offline Find More Posts by JJtr1954
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I seem to remember single rotors.
Flew one on a simulator helping teach a novice to hover over the holidays.
Got to get back to mine.
Multirotors have consumed my attention.
Don't forget that the wind is your friend.
I think 15 to 20 mph is pretty fun with a multi...
So far its twitchy in the wind but still flies decent. I got the "Home" lock set up and working. Would lov to get RTH set up as well but that is gonna require a reflashed tx so I can map the switches myself. But tonight the FPV gear is placed and once the weekend comes I am going to mount some orientation lights.
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Watch some video of the upper-class rigs.
Wind will always be a force to be reckoned with.
Because of the way a multirotor's motion is generated, some rocking and rolling has to happen.
Oh I can deal with the thing moving around. And now that I understand it si going to be twitchy in the wind I am not so worried. I think I have it dialed in. I have all my basic gains at 180 and my att is at 120.
So far that makes it rock solid in no wind and although twitchy in the wind it still has manors. So..FPV here I come! Now...how to set COG...where is my scale? lol
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
My mount works pretty good. I don't get any issues from vibration. The downsides of this is I'm really seeing the jello from the rolling shutter even at 60fps.

I'm also still getting interference at 1080p. I added the snap on ferrite chokes to each end of the GPS. I also added a snap on around all the servo wires from the receiver to the Naza. I'm going to move that one to the motor side of the Naza and see it that changes anything.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI WooKong-M Autopilot System for multirotors **Owners Thread** DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Electronics 19947 Yesterday 11:52 AM
New Product MultiWiiCopter "MiniWii" FC - Cheap, small 6DOF FC JussiH Multirotor Talk 707 Jan 01, 2013 08:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 11:43 AM
New Product United Hobbies FC 28-05 & FC 28-22 brushless outrunners $5.95 ea. JawaSnack Hot Online Deals 9 Jul 17, 2007 10:31 AM
Futaba FC-18 teacher to FC-16 pupil problem . jmquetin Radios 5 Nov 02, 2004 06:48 AM